• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Getting error trying to program TK-250 in DOSBOX with USB cable

KC2OVX

I have the realport set from 8 to 1 and I keep getting this error using my prolific 2303 USB to kenwood plug cable:

BIOS INIT14: UNHANDLED CALL AH=81 DX=0

From what I read this is a driver issue, but I have the correct driver installed in Windows 7 and it shows up in the device manager.

I tried changing the port settings 8,2, none, and I tried all the other possible settings

speed at 1200 and 9600 and everything in between.

I tried with FIFO, NONE and every other option in the device settings, but nothing works. Same error.

Is there a DOS driver for this cable that I need to load in DOSBOX ? or is it hopeless ? I did program the radio years ago using a DOS laptop and the 9 pin serial cable, but I don't have that laptop and every computer I have has no serial ports, just USB. Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Bill

jim202

Try dropping by the local computer repair stores in your area. In most cases they will give you their old computers laying around. Try finding one with the cream colored face and see what the inside looks like. You might just luck out and find an old clunker that you can install DOS onto. You need to find one with the clock speed under 1 GHz. 900 MHz. and lower is prime.

The hard drive will probably be pulled. It will not have any SATA cable connections. Only IDE. You will need to locate an old IDE hard drive and DOS will only work on a drive no larger that 80 GB. You can use a larger hard drive, but will have to format it in a dual boot format.

I do this all the time and make the 80 GB the DOS and any remaining space Windows XP.

Trying to use DOSBOX is just asking for trouble as you have found. It generally will not run the older radio software that is looking for true DOS.

You have joined the club that has found this out the hard way.

n2mci

I've programmed up a TK350 using DOSBox with a USB serial cable and while on.USB Memory stick. (Worst case). The USB serial cable is a Keyspan 19hs, which seams to be the best, from reach I did. You have to point / connect the real serial port to virtual (DOSBox) comm port. I think the default is dummy, so the DOSBox comm port won't go / talk to anything.

Once you have it working, you can save the working config and you can start DOSBox using that config file, so you won't have to make the changes again, unless the USB comm port changes. I normally will create a .BAT file that will start DOSBox with the config.

I think Alex has some how-to details on kw920.com, I think it's under TK431 ver. 1.

Good luck, Pete

KC2OVX

I've programmed up a TK350 using DOSBox with a USB serial cable and while on.USB Memory stick. (Worst case). The USB serial cable is a Keyspan 19hs, which seams to be the best, from reach I did. You have to point / connect the real serial port to virtual (DOSBox) comm port. I think the default is dummy, so the DOSBox comm port won't go / talk to anything.

Once you have it working, you can save the working config and you can start DOSBox using that config file, so you won't have to make the changes again, unless the USB comm port changes. I normally will create a .BAT file that will start DOSBox with the config.

I think Alex has some how-to details on kw920.com, I think it's under TK431 ver. 1.

Good luck, Pete
I have tried that. I set the real port to match com 1 and it still does not work. The INIT error is saying that the driver is missing. I bought an old laptop with XP and a serial port built into the motherboard. I plan to make a DOS USB stick and put the KPG-23D software on the USB stick. if you know of anyone that has an image already made for a DOS boot USB stick, please let me know the link. Thanks

KC2OVX

I have tried that. I set the real port to match com 1 and it still does not work. The INIT error is saying that the driver is missing. I bought an old laptop with XP and a serial port built into the motherboard. I plan to make a DOS USB stick and put the KPG-23D software on the USB stick. if you know of anyone that has an image already made for a DOS boot USB stick, please let me know the link. Thanks
the website kw920.com is 404 error.

jim202

Remember that DOS doesn't like to work with computer clock speeds above about 900 MHZ. You might get away with a 1 GHZ. clock, but your pushing your luck. Using a DOS BOX interface is also not a good idea on most of the older radios.

Jim

Ubbe

You can try PCem that even emulates all the old hardware and even the bios of old PC's so that speed and hardware critical software from the 80's will work.
PCem

/Ubbe