• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingray327

You can use Chirp to program the BTech GMRS-V1. Doing so will allow you to change how the display works, (like displaying a freq or a name on each channel), how it scans ( setting up each channel for scan or skip scan), selecting Narrow or regular FM per channel, along with CTCSS/DCS. transmit RF power output, and of course we don't want to forget the roger beep and/or VOX modes. That's just for starters. Many other settings also. The V1 does not have the 5 watts of RF out as many dealers and factory advertise at times, but generally most all the ones I've bought (about thirty) have had a constant 3 watts. Do like some, place two of them in a ammo box, with a antenna on the outside top of the ammo box and one on the outside bottom of the ammo box and you have a "to-go box repeater"... Stick it on top of a building, tall tower, tall pole, or up in the top of a tree with a battery or two on the inside of the ammo box and you got yourself a good little low power repeater. I've had one operating now for over a year that's located on top of a hill (625 elevation) that's attached to 50 foot pole I made to fit the receiver hitch of my Motor Home and it's covering/working 20-30 miles in any direction. Most of the landscape around it is 375 - 525 elevation. Or, get mag mounts that will help extend the range of them and use them in the car for repeater access, car-to-car, or car-to-base. And that part of "The antenna must be a non-removable integral part of the GMRS unit."...well someone needs to go back to school and learn how to read the rules. That rule only pertained to FRS radios that could transmit on the GMRS channels. The FRS radios could not have removable antennas. Also remember that there are plenty of used commercial brand of UHF radios that are both type accepted for part 90 & 95 that can be obtained on the Internet that you could purchase for about a dime or two or three more than a V1 if you are wanting to use GMRS in your mobile. You keep a search for them and you can find them. I bought four Kenwoods the other day for twentyfive bucks each and that included shipping, so I know they are out there if you search.

Good luck,
amphibian
What's the advantage of transmitting on FRS vs. GMRS vs. the ham bands in the 140 freqs VHF or UHF 400 freqs?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
What's the advantage of transmitting on FRS vs. GMRS vs. the ham bands in the 140 freqs VHF or UHF 400 freqs?

What are you asking? Are you asking what the differences between these three are?

Also, there’s a reason you can find Baofengs for $22 while quality radios are more...

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
The chief difference between the two bands that I know of are that UHF has the tendency to cut through objects like houses or what have you. While VHF doesn't have that propagation ability due to its lower frequency.

BTW- If you want to roll VHF, check out MURS. The Btech MURS radios are part 95. Rolling UHF GMRS there is also the Btech GMRS which is part 95a.

Note that FRS and GMRS operate in the same UHF band...

bharvey2

Poltergeisty spelled out the propagational differences between UHF and VHF. However, the other differences are administrative. FRS, in the UHF band is license by rule (lo license application needed, just follow the rules) but is limited to lower power and fixed antennas. GMRS, also in the UHF band does require a license application (Good for the entire family) but permits greater power, the use of removable antennas as well as the use of repeaters. A ham license grants an individual (each user must be licensed) much greater latitude in terms of permissible operating bands, power, antennas, etc.

stingray327

You would think that there would be alot of HAM activity at night but it's 0 out there. Most of it is during the day or early mornings.
I never hear the long distance conversations like from other countries. Thus far everything has been local maybe 100 miles out at the most.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
You would think that there would be alot of HAM activity at night but it's 0 out there. Most of it is during the day or early mornings.
I never hear the long distance conversations like from other countries. Thus far everything has been local maybe 100 miles out at the most.

On what bands?

bharvey2

Yes. It would depend upon which bands you are monitoring. It would make sense that the local repeaters slow down as many people are sleeping. The linked repeaters may continue to be active depending upon the links. Propagation varies throughout the day so HF activity will vary too depending upon which one you're monitoring.

bill4long

(Shrug.) I'm listening to a 59 guy from Spain on on 14.204 right now. (11am Indiana.)
No doubt the solar cycle sucks right now but there is still regular DX activity on 20m.
Daily I'm working EU on 20m FT-8 digital.
80/75 is reliably 600 to 800 miles at night right now for phone.
What bands are you listening to?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
This is a GMRS thread, though, so that's why I asked him what band - HF isn't the topic here so his comment about not hearing traffic from other countries (on GMRS, since this is a GMRS thread) seemed out of place.

bharvey2

This is a GMRS thread, though, so that's why I asked him what band - HF isn't the topic here so his comment about not hearing traffic from other countries (on GMRS, since this is a GMRS thread) seemed out of place.

I thought it out of place too but Stingray327 specifically mentioned ham radio. Out of place, sure but you know how these threads tend to wander sometimes. Most of us are guilty of it once in a while.

n1das

I thought it out of place too but Stingray327 specifically mentioned ham radio. Out of place, sure but you know how these threads tend to wander sometimes. Most of us are guilty of it once in a while.
OK, so then what's the general consensus regarding recommending a GMRS handheld and where can the OP buy one? (original thread topic)

I saw a 4 watt BaoFeng 5 UVR for $22.00 in amazon.com
Not legal on GMRS
What KD8DVR said. NOT legal on GMRS.

The options I recommend that are squeaky clean and LEGAL are:
- 22 channel FRS bubble packs since they work on the GMRS channels.
- Part 90 commercial radios that specifically have Part 95 certification.

I recommend checking out Kenwood Part 90 UHF radios since most of them also have Part 95 certification. Kenwood seems to have been pretty good at including Part 95 certification in addition to Part 90. It makes sense to FCC type accept the radio to cover all radio services that it is capable of operating on, to help sell more radios of course. Spending a little more money on a good commercial grade handheld buys you a MUCH better radio.

Kenwood UHF Part 90 handhelds I'm familiar with and used to own which have Part 95 certification: TK-370G, TK-3140, TK-3170, NX-300. All of them are wide/narrow bandwidth capable.

bharvey2

OK, so then what's the general consensus regarding recommending a GMRS handheld and where can the OP buy one? (original thread topic)

What KD8DVR said. NOT legal on GMRS.

The options I recommend that are squeaky clean and LEGAL are:
- 22 channel FRS bubble packs since they work on the GMRS channels.
- Part 90 commercial radios that specifically have Part 95 certification.

I recommend checking out Kenwood Part 90 UHF radios since most of them also have Part 95 certification. Kenwood seems to have been pretty good at including Part 95 certification in addition to Part 90. It makes sense to FCC type accept the radio to cover all radio services that it is capable of operating on, to help sell more radios of course. Spending a little more money on a good commercial grade handheld buys you a MUCH better radio.

Kenwood UHF Part 90 handhelds I'm familiar with and used to own which have Part 95 certification: TK-370G, TK-3140, TK-3170, NX-300. All of them are wide/narrow bandwidth capable.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, I favor Kenwoods. I have a number of TK 380s but have a few other models as well. I've used the bubble pack radios which are fine for light use but they lack the power and rugged build I've learned to appreciate for the higher quality Part90/95 radios.

n1das

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, I favor Kenwoods. I have a number of TK 380s but have a few other models as well. I've used the bubble pack radios which are fine for light use but they lack the power and rugged build I've learned to appreciate for the higher quality Part90/95 radios.

I agree. It's case of where you DO get what you pay for and spending a little more money buys you a much better radio.

amphibian

If you want to listen to "long distance conversations like from other countries" then you are not going to find that on the MURS, FRS, GMRS, and/or the Amateur VHF low band 6 meter, Low band 10 meter, VHF high band (2m) or UHF(70cm) bands. Where you will find those kind of conversations happening is down in the Amateur "HF" bands. Generally, but not limited to bands such as 12 meter (24.890 - 24.990mhz), 15 meter (21.000 - 21.450mhz), 17 meter (18.068 -18.168mhz), and 20 meter (14.100 - 14.350mhz). There are still many more below the 12 meter like 160, 80,40. Although Amateur radio operators have "EchoLink" & "AllStarLink Network" which allow them to communicate all around the world on VHF 2 meter and UHF 70cm you probably won't hear much of that unless you happen to be listening to a link when it's operational. Like Amateur, GMRS has some links operational but GMRS IS a USA only operations, which requires a license, and also requires operation on radios that are "type accepted" by FCC. Baofeng makes several different models of radios, some are approved (type accepted) for certain bands and some are not. Baofeng does make a "type certified" GMRS radio (although many GMRS operators use non certified radios because they happen to be both GMRS and Amateur radio licensed (which is still illegal but they do it anyways)). Yes, Baofeng sells radios for around 20 - 50 bucks, but don't sell them short. I'm retired RF engineer and two-way radio communication shop owner and some of what Baofeng make is actually a pretty good radio for the dollar spent. Of course, your die hard Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, Motorola, operators will tell you Baofeng is junk only because they won't admit they spent way too much money for the equipment they have because they were paying for the name and not necessarily the quality. Some of those mfg's mentioned make some great radios for what they were designed for and then they also make some radio I wouldn't give you two cents for, ouut right pure junk to say the least. Remember this, if it wasn't for Baofeng these days, there wouldn't be any new Amateur radio operators to speak of cause many newly licensed operators wouldn't be able to afford an Icom or Yaesu radio. What many won't tell you also is, because of the Baofeng UV-5R radios and the BF-888s, many Amateur radio clubs around this country and other countries give them away to new members (newly licensed operators) so that it encourages the newly licensed operator to use the channels and expand their abilities. Hope this helps your understand of how different bands are available and in use for different reason.

amphibian

stingray327

If you want to listen to "long distance conversations like from other countries" then you are not going to find that on the MURS, FRS, GMRS, and/or the Amateur VHF low band 6 meter, Low band 10 meter, VHF high band (2m) or UHF(70cm) bands. Where you will find those kind of conversations happening is down in the Amateur "HF" bands. Generally, but not limited to bands such as 12 meter (24.890 - 24.990mhz), 15 meter (21.000 - 21.450mhz), 17 meter (18.068 -18.168mhz), and 20 meter (14.100 - 14.350mhz). There are still many more below the 12 meter like 160, 80,40. Although Amateur radio operators have "EchoLink" & "AllStarLink Network" which allow them to communicate all around the world on VHF 2 meter and UHF 70cm you probably won't hear much of that unless you happen to be listening to a link when it's operational. Like Amateur, GMRS has some links operational but GMRS IS a USA only operations, which requires a license, and also requires operation on radios that are "type accepted" by FCC. Baofeng makes several different models of radios, some are approved (type accepted) for certain bands and some are not. Baofeng does make a "type certified" GMRS radio (although many GMRS operators use non certified radios because they happen to be both GMRS and Amateur radio licensed (which is still illegal but they do it anyways)). Yes, Baofeng sells radios for around 20 - 50 bucks, but don't sell them short. I'm retired RF engineer and two-way radio communication shop owner and some of what Baofeng make is actually a pretty good radio for the dollar spent. Of course, your die hard Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, Motorola, operators will tell you Baofeng is junk only because they won't admit they spent way too much money for the equipment they have because they were paying for the name and not necessarily the quality. Some of those mfg's mentioned make some great radios for what they were designed for and then they also make some radio I wouldn't give you two cents for, ouut right pure junk to say the least. Remember this, if it wasn't for Baofeng these days, there wouldn't be any new Amateur radio operators to speak of cause many newly licensed operators wouldn't be able to afford an Icom or Yaesu radio. What many won't tell you also is, because of the Baofeng UV-5R radios and the BF-888s, many Amateur radio clubs around this country and other countries give them away to new members (newly licensed operators) so that it encourages the newly licensed operator to use the channels and expand their abilities. Hope this helps your understand of how different bands are available and in use for different reason.

amphibian
Which Baofeng model can receive those bands you mentioned?
"Amateur "HF" bands. Generally, but not limited to bands such as 12 meter (24.890 - 24.990mhz), 15 meter (21.000 - 21.450mhz), 17 meter (18.068 -18.168mhz), and 20 meter (14.100 - 14.350mhz). There are still many more below the 12 meter like 160, 80,40. Although Amateur radio operators have "EchoLink" & "AllStarLink Network" which allow them to communicate all around the world on VHF 2 meter and UHF 70cm".

bharvey2

Don't discount a used HF radio as an option. I bought a low mileage one a few years ago for about 60% of new and it covers all of the HF bands as well as 6M.

Status
Not open for further replies.