• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS repeater linking and the FCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Its hilarious. It seems the Ham Radio activity is waaaay down because its easier to lug a smartphone then be bothered with 2M/70CM operations, or all the FM crowd is now SK or nearly so. Yet the GMRS crowd activity is way up because of folks looking for an alternative/backup or just plain interested in radios.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Its hilarious. It seems the Ham Radio activity is waaaay down because its easier to lug a smartphone then be bothered with 2M/70CM operations, or all the FM crowd is now SK or nearly so. Yet the GMRS crowd activity is way up because of folks looking for an alternative/backup or just plain interested in radios.
Which is why the ham community has failed, as have orgs like the ARRL. Whiffs of whackerism, sad ham isms, and "it's too expensive or difficult" and once again hams are our own worst enemies. A few YouTube losers who hate rules get the most airtime and voila, up pop all the illegally linked GMRS repeater networks almost overnight. Maybe if ham radio was promoted by the same ilk instead of the ARES whackers and old farts...never mind.

90 percent of the users of that frequency pig GMRS system near me are licensed hams. 90 percent, their membership roster confirms this- yet none of these people use the copious spectrum available. Dozens of good repeater sit quiet (sans the kerchunk masturbators who like to finger bang them) for hours even days devoid of activity.

What a shame.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
I am not an old fart..
lol
But yes, for some reason 2m or 70cm just isnt the same as being on GMRS
it is baffling to me..
probably another 'cool' thing just like having to have that damn Motorola whatever model set to NAS.

N4KVE

It’s way up here in S. Florida. The analog guys went to DMR, or P25. Between Rick, AC4XQ, Bob, W2GGI, or Eric, KF4LZA, they all got linked DMR systems across Florida. And Eric probably has 15, or so VHF, UHF, & 900 P25 repeaters in SE Florida. I think he has some GMRS repeaters here too. A buddy had a GMRS repeater here in West Palm Beach on a huge tower, & I used it for a while, but I think he passed, & the repeater is gone. But strangely in the last week the discussion on Rick’s DMR system is GMRS, using encryption, or digital there, & linking GMRS repeaters. Suddenly there’s an interest?

Last edited:

celestis

On August 14, the FCC amended the language of this webpage to include the following on the Operations tab:

"A GMRS user can expect a communications range of one to twenty-five miles depending on station class, terrain, and repeater use. GMRS stations cannot be interconnected with the public switched telephone network or any other network for the purpose of carrying GMRS communications, but these networks can be used for remote control of repeater stations. In other words, repeaters may not be linked via the internet—an example of an “other network” in the rules—to extend the range of the communications across a large geographic area. Linking multiple repeaters to enable a repeater outside the communications range of the handheld or mobile device to retransmit messages violates sections 95.1733(a)(8) and 95.1749 of the Commission’s rules, and potentially other rules in 47 C.F.R. Repeaters may be connected to the telephone network or other networks only for purposes of remote control of a GMRS station, not for carrying communication signals.

In addition to violating Commission rules, linking repeaters is not in the public interest. Because GMRS spectrum is limited and used on a shared “commons” basis, the service only works well on a localized basis when users can hear each other and cooperate in the sharing of channels. Linking repeaters not only increases the potential for interference, but also uses up a limited spectrum resource over much larger areas than intended, limiting localized availability of the repeater channels.

GMRS and the Family Radio Service (FRS), which share many of the GMRS channels, are intended for individuals such as family members and friends, scouting troops, emergency response groups, and hobbyists to communicate with each other over short distances, directly or through a repeater station. Linking repeaters, via the internet or other networks, undermines the purpose and usefulness of the GMRS and FRS."

Interesting this one little webpage gets amended before the FCC releases a public notice telling us to knock it off with linking

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

On August 14, the FCC amended the language of this webpage to include the following on the Operations tab:

"A GMRS user can expect a communications range of one to twenty-five miles depending on station class, terrain, and repeater use. GMRS stations cannot be interconnected with the public switched telephone network or any other network for the purpose of carrying GMRS communications, but these networks can be used for remote control of repeater stations. In other words, repeaters may not be linked via the internet—an example of an “other network” in the rules—to extend the range of the communications across a large geographic area. Linking multiple repeaters to enable a repeater outside the communications range of the handheld or mobile device to retransmit messages violates sections 95.1733(a)(8) and 95.1749 of the Commission’s rules, and potentially other rules in 47 C.F.R. Repeaters may be connected to the telephone network or other networks only for purposes of remote control of a GMRS station, not for carrying communication signals.

In addition to violating Commission rules, linking repeaters is not in the public interest. Because GMRS spectrum is limited and used on a shared “commons” basis, the service only works well on a localized basis when users can hear each other and cooperate in the sharing of channels. Linking repeaters not only increases the potential for interference, but also uses up a limited spectrum resource over much larger areas than intended, limiting localized availability of the repeater channels.

GMRS and the Family Radio Service (FRS), which share many of the GMRS channels, are intended for individuals such as family members and friends, scouting troops, emergency response groups, and hobbyists to communicate with each other over short distances, directly or through a repeater station. Linking repeaters, via the internet or other networks, undermines the purpose and usefulness of the GMRS and FRS."

Interesting this one little webpage gets amended before the FCC releases a public notice telling us to knock it off with linking
Uh oh.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Should be interesting to see how this goes down.
I don't think some of the people running these linked system are going to just give up easily, even if that's what the FCC says. There's no shortage of people that assume the rules don't apply to them and will fight this.
I haven't heard a peep from the system near me. The funny part is that delinking will result in me using one of the repeaters far more often, for local personal communication. I don't enjoy having to compete with nets and linked users in major cities for airtime.

In a way, I'm looking forward to that. I'll probably stop carrying a cell phone much of the time.

topcop522

The repeater linking is what the issue is and not the linked network with simplex nodes connected through the internet. The home nodes linked to the internet will still be around. It would be the linked repeaters would have to disconnect from the net.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Should be interesting to see how this goes down.
I don't think some of the people running these linked system are going to just give up easily, even if that's what the FCC says. There's no shortage of people that assume the rules don't apply to them and will fight this.
The fcc probably anticipates this and has set the stage for enforcement. I don't think the usage of the word 'violation' was unintentional. The first NAL issued will cause the rest of them to unlink with a quickness. Like you I think they will have to make an example out of one of those 'ill do what I want' crowds.

AK4PY

The repeater linking is what the issue is and not the linked network with simplex nodes connected through the internet. The home nodes linked to the internet will still be around. It would be the linked repeaters would have to disconnect from the net.

Interesting interpretation. I don't think i would be willing to put this to test.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
The fcc probably anticipates this and has set the stage for enforcement. I don't think the usage of the word 'violation' was unintentional. The first NAL issued will cause the rest of them to unlink with a quickness. Like you I think they will have to make an example out of one of those 'ill do what I want' crowds.
And unlink the MURS stuff at the same time. Although I don't know if that's still up as I locked out the MURS channels due to hearing the same conversations on multiple GMRS channels AND MURS.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
August 14 2024 The FCC added that the Internet CANNOT be used for linking GMRS repeaters only for the control of a repeater Do YOUR research People!
If people would do their research, they'd see that the FCC did not change the rules. They merely posted clarifying wording on their website. Until they change the actual rules to clearly say what they mean, people are going to argue about GMRS repeater linking.

K6GBW

At least you all HAVE repeaters. Here in the Los Angeles area if someone puts up a repeater, the jammer moles come out and immediately try and shut it down. I've seen so many new repeaters pop up and within hours there are idiots jamming it. Sad to see that as a species we are devolving so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.