GMRS repeaters and rules in Canada

Digger16

Does anyone know if there is any GMRS repeaters in western Canada? What are the rules about putting up a GMRS repeater in Canada? Can anyone help to find the rules and regulations in Canada for using the grms frequencies (15-22).

Does Canada have a licensing system to use the GMRS frequencies with repeaters? I know there is a power limit (2 watts). I hear people using them for neighborhood watch and construction sites. I have heard lots of chatter on the MURS frequencies (repeaters not allowed)

nd5y

I don't think GMRS repeaters are allowed in Canada.
The rules are here
and here (scroll down and expand Annex E)
There might be other rules elswhere that I'm not aware of.

Digger16

The rules are here
Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And MURS frequencies are not MURS in Canada. A significant number of businesses are licensed on these frequencies.

prcguy

I spent a month on a job north of Quebec and we had some UHF radios with our So Cal GMRS freqs in case we needed short range comms. Turns out the facility we were working at had a repeater on the exact same GMRS pair, same tone. After discovering this and testing the repeater a few times the repeater owner figured out it was us and gave us permission to use the repeater since they rarely needed it.

I have no idea what type of service it was in Canada but it was licensed to a commercial business.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I spent a month on a job north of Quebec and we had some UHF radios with our So Cal GMRS freqs in case we needed short range comms. Turns out the facility we were working at had a repeater on the exact same GMRS pair, same tone. After discovering this and testing the repeater a few times the repeater owner figured out it was us and gave us permission to use the repeater since they rarely needed it.

I have no idea what type of service it was in Canada but it was licensed to a commercial business.
It would be LMR here, part 90 business equivelent . ISED has done stupid stuff like put licensed users on GMRS pairs. They don't exactly hire the best, or brightest here.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The rules are here
GMRS repeaters are NOT allowed in Canada. Any repeaters appearing to use GMRS pairs are either not legit, or are LMR users that have been assigned 'GMRS' Frequencies.

VA3TFC

I think it's stupid to not allow GMRS repeaters in Canada. Just make people pay for a test free yearly license to operate on those frequencies like they do in the USA. In the USA a single GMRS license can be used by a family and with a repeater they have instant communications over longer distances. There are mobile GMRS radios sold in the USA with higher wattage for even further coverage. Not everyone wants or needs a ham radio operator's license.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
GMRS licenses in the USA still have a requirement about using certain GMRS frequencies within a certain distance of the Canadian/US border since there were/are some LMR type users assigned north of the border.
Simply taking the Canadian GMRS rules and making them match the US GMRS rules would likely cause some issues for those LMR type users in Canada.

In other words, may not be that easy.

Moving existing users off frequency pairs to make way for a new(ish) service tends to take a while. Looking at how long it took to reband 800MHz in the USA, even with someone else footing the bill, would give you an idea of how hard it can be.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I think it's stupid to not allow GMRS repeaters in Canada. Just make people pay for a test free yearly license to operate on those frequencies like they do in the USA. In the USA a single GMRS license can be used by a family and with a repeater they have instant communications over longer distances. There are mobile GMRS radios sold in the USA with higher wattage for even further coverage. Not everyone wants or needs a ham radio operator's license.

Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada killed any chance of GMRS repeaters in Canada back in 2016. As mentioned above, there are no frequencies available for repeaters. They've all been assigned to commercial interests so no license can ever be granted.

From: SP 462/467 MHz — Spectrum Utilization Policy to Permit Licence-Exempt Devices in the Land Mobile Frequency Sub-bands 462/467 MHz

List of changes:

Issue 2 reflects the following main changes:

Merging (SP) 462 MHz — Spectrum Utilization Policy to Permit Licence‑Exempt Family Radio Devices in the Land Mobile Frequency Sub‑bands 462-467 MHz with SP 462/467 MHz — Spectrum Provisions for Introducing Licence‑Exempt Radios in the Land Mobile Frequency Sub‑bands 462/467 MHz to create one spectrum utilization policy.

Allowing the operation of General Mobile Radio Service‑M (GMRS‑M) in the 462 MHz frequency band.

*** Removing the channels in the 467 MHz range which were reserved for possible future use as repeater input channels for GMRS. ***