• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

goofy antenna

niceguy71

I know people love the Siro 5000 performer.... someday I would like to try it, and the Styker AR 10.... but the Stryker just looks a bit much for my taste... I was looking at the Siro 5000 and found this set up......
I think the kids in town would point and laugh at me every where I went if I had this crazy set up on the top of my pick up truck
also being single... I'm sure any woman I went to pick up on a date with this goofy thing on the roof... would tell me to keep driving.

maybe it's just me..... but I wouldn't put this on anything I own.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Ham radio operators and CB'ers seem to be under the impression that the stupider an antenna looks, the better it must work.
I swear, my second retirement job is going to be making the goofiest looking antennas I can in my garage and selling them to the ham/CB crowd with grandiose claims about "10dB gain" "Talks miles" "More Swing" "Don't let the FCC know you own this antenna!!!"

merlin

I don't know, I have seen some awful goofy looking CB antennas in my day.
I guess anything that is reasonant will do something. Maybe a shopping cart on a mount. (may need a tuner)
Seen some few tape a neon light to a whip and light it when transmitting.

DeeEx

Craziest I’ve ever seen mobile was parked at a store on route 9 in Shrewsbury, MA, circa 1999.

I forgot what model vehicle but it was an SUV. In the middle of the roof was a full-length Antron A99, guyed back at about a 45 degree angle but still very tall. The best I could see of the mount were two horizontally parallel pieces of 4x4 post wood, each with several large magnets on the bottom, with the antenna guyed between them and coax leading to a hole in the roof nearby.

It appeared that if the antenna hit a bridge there wasn’t enough substance to keep it from shattering into a million slivers of fiberglass

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Don’t discount tongue-in-cheek for what’s occasionally seen. If it’s funny as hell, but works, it’s a winner.

I swear, my second retirement job is going to be making the goofiest looking antennas I can in my garage and selling them to the ham/CB crowd with grandiose claims about "10dB gain" "Talks miles" "More Swing" "Don't let the FCC know you own this antenna

That’s actually a good idea. REQUIRES your thru-roof puck mount. And your $20/ft coax cable. A Star Gun brand component or two made by you. CMC/RF component sourced by you. Custom RF Bonds.

— The vertical portion just overshadows the HQ install and SNR tweaks.

“By appointment only”

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I know people love the Siro 5000 performer.... someday I would like to try it, and the Styker AR 10.... but the Stryker just looks a bit much for my taste... I was looking at the Siro 5000 and found this set up......
I think the kids in town would point and laugh at me every where I went if I had this crazy set up on the top of my pick up truck
also being single... I'm sure any woman I went to pick up on a date with this goofy thing on the roof... would tell me to keep driving.

My ex threatened divorce running a Signal Engineering GR45 on the roof of her Cherokee. But she then found it as funny as me that traffic parted ways in the months after 9/11.

I haven’t tuned the Cowtown Antenna Predator10k K-1-27 to my pickup roof yet, but it’ll be a contender.

A quarter-wave in that location bends pretty much in-half at Interstate speed. And in crosswinds can hit other vehicles. Not to mention it reaches 15’ on mine.

The 10K model is 6-7’, so clearance needed is 12-13’. And stays upright.

Being west of the Mississippi is CB heaven. Gotta have heighth.

The Signal Engineering GR45 seems to be the height exception. (5’).

A base load President Texas 1800 with a whip that’ll take 100-MPH strikes is the lower key default. Or a 5, 6-ft Skipshooter.

Experience with others is that they change their tune having heard a dual final rig out-talking the guys with 10X the power while on the same road. They’ll come up to me while I’m buying diesel or parked to have lunch at a rest area and I’ll show them.

— It’s in the antenna mount + location and the rest of the installation.

NMO-34 + WD640 whip on a Breedlove NMO would be the most fun to try. Best of both worlds.

A slightly crazy antenna is an invitation to others to key up. That’s a good thing.

Here’s a 5000 Performer.

IMG_2301.jpeg

Last edited:

niceguy71

My ex threatened divorce running a Signal Engineering GR45 on the roof of her Cherokee. But she then found it as funny as me that traffic parted ways in the months after 9/11.

I haven’t tuned the Cowtown Antenna Predator10k K-1-27 to my pickup roof yet, but it’ll be a contender.

A quarter-wave in that location bends pretty much in-half at Interstate speed. And in crosswinds can hit other vehicles. Not to mention it reaches 15’ on mine.

The 10K model is 6-7’, so clearance needed is 12-13’. And stays upright.

Being west of the Mississippi is CB heaven. Gotta have heighth.

The Signal Engineering GR45 seems to be the height exception. (5’).

A base load President Texas 1800 with a whip that’ll take 100-MPH strikes is the lower key default. Or a 5, 6-ft Skipshooter.

Experience with others is that they change their tune having heard a dual final rig out-talking the guys with 10X the power while on the same road. They’ll come up to me while I’m buying diesel or parked to have lunch at a rest area and I’ll show them.

— It’s in the antenna mount + location and the rest of the installation.

NMO-34 + WD640 whip on a Breedlove NMO would be the most fun to try. Best of both worlds.

A slightly crazy antenna is an invitation to others to key up. That’s a good thing.

Here’s a 5000 Performer.

View attachment 160605
That doesn't look goofy at all.... someday I will try one and if I like it, I'll keep it on the roof of the truck..... ...but if you go adding a LED light and a ground plain ring under it... I'm calling it goofy!

RFI-EMI-GUY

Ham radio operators and CB'ers seem to be under the impression that the stupider an antenna looks, the better it must work.
I swear, my second retirement job is going to be making the goofiest looking antennas I can in my garage and selling them to the ham/CB crowd with grandiose claims about "10dB gain" "Talks miles" "More Swing" "Don't let the FCC know you own this antenna!!!"
"Antenna for Export Only"

Putting non linear devices on an antenna is not a very good idea.

Back in the days when cellular radios had antennas, aftermarket antennas with multicolor LED's were a big thing. We had just installed an 800 MHz Smartnet system in a busy south Florida city and some coverage complaints started rolling in. Police radios would not work in a sandwich shop in a strip mall. The customer clued me in to a cellular shop adjacent to it. The spectrum analyser I brought showed a bunch of grunge. We thought initially that there was a BDA interfering. With the cooperation of the shop owner we switched off breakers. The "grunge" went away on the fourth breaker. What was it? A display cabinet with about 8 LED antennas flashing on and off. The demonstrator box had 8 power oscillators in the 806 MHz band (Dont want to tear up cellular right?). The fix was easy. Don't do it ever again.

63Sprint

to think someone actually spent the time to do this ....
even if only for a silly picture
... I've heard some people in the Radio hobby get carried away.... but whoever did this should be locked away in a nut house!
Well,… I can think of many people that should be locked in a nut house before he or she.

You never know. He or she might be the kindest and sweetest person you might ever meet.

Looks can be deceiving.