• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

goofy antenna

wx2watch

P.S. on that Stryker ... I have heard they get water inside them quite often.... and you need to put a little silicone around something??? my Stryker is still in the box waiting for me to range test it / play with it.... but before I permeant mount it I'll silicone the heck out of everything... as I can see where water could get in where the stupid lights are.
Hmm, I had not noticed those lights before - I don't see anything in the foldup half page "instruction manual" that came with my SR-A10 mentioning them. How do I get rid of them? For that matter, can you elaborate on your proposed silicon fix (I guess you mean the RTV gel and not spray.)

I'm not sure I would have purchased the antenna if I knew it was gonna make people think I'm a LEO wanna be with intermittent blue lights. :cool:

(P.S. I'm still getting ready for my 12 hour drive to Virginia in two weeks but haven't had time to test my new toy to any great extent before the trip!!)

FPR1981

AWESOME DEAL!
you were in the right place at the right time I guess!

it's funny every review of the Stryker AR 10 say's the same thing that they didn't have to adjust the SWR as it was perfect out of the box.

I also LOVE my Tram 3500, I've never had a better antenna and am totally amazed how well it works... I bought mine after watching Erik from Far Point Farms do a 18.5 miles range test with a 4 watt radio to his base station... I've chatted with Erik and he has had his Tram 3500 for 7 years and not a bit of trouble ... but he bought a new Stryker AR 10 for another vehicle and said it's better than the Tram 3500... he didn't do a range test but feels it's a much better antenna.... I plan to do a range test of my Tram 3500 and my Stryker AR 10 ( some day )

sounds like you got two fantastic antenna's

at first I was wondering
how on earth are you using the magnetic tram 3500 as a base station antenna??... the magnetic mounts, on a big flat piece of metal of the car gives it the Ground plane.... so I'm guessing the three 4 foot fiberglass radials are being used for a ground plane? but you still only have a 5 foot antenna... but I guess if you get it up high enough????....
interesting.... never heard of anyone doing that.. if it works it works!
certainly didn't cost you much!

why would someone buy two nice pieces of equipment and then sell them for next to nothing?

P.S. on that Stryker ... I have heard they get water inside them quite often.... and you need to put a little silicone around something??? my Stryker is still in the box waiting for me to range test it / play with it.... but before I permeant mount it I'll silicone the heck out of everything... as I can see where water could get in where the stupid lights are.
The length of the mast/whip is irrelevant to the application. All that matters is that it is a 1/4-wavelength antenna. What makes it different than a 102-inch steel whip is that the steel whip and spring are the true physical length of a 1/4-wavelength. The Stryker and any other mobile antenna that is shorter than 102/104/106 inches (depends who you ask) makes up the length inside the coil.

The coil windings make up the difference. In the case of a fiberglass antenna, the "102" inches are helical windings around the fiberglass mast.

What mobile antennas that are shorter than a 102 are known as would be "compromise" antennas. They achieve the proper SWR by means of their "electrical" length, and the vehicle then serving as a ground plane.

Sure, you lose some performance over the 102, by compromise. But they still can perform very well, particularly because your mounting location to accommodate a 102 often costs you performance.

In the case of my home made Tram ground plane, I used three 4-foot fiberglass Tram antennas as ground plane radials, no differently arranged than the true sized radials on an Starduster. The downward radials are the ground plane, and it works beautifully.

Let me see if I can find you a picture of this home brew of mine.

niceguy71

Hmm, I had not noticed those lights before - I don't see anything in the foldup half page "instruction manual" that came with my SR-A10 mentioning them. How do I get rid of them? For that matter, can you elaborate on your proposed silicon fix (I guess you mean the RTV gel and not spray.)

I'm not sure I would have purchased the antenna if I knew it was gonna make people think I'm a LEO wanna be with intermittent blue lights. :cool:

(P.S. I'm still getting ready for my 12 hour drive to Virginia in two weeks but haven't had time to test my new toy to any great extent before the trip!!)
put that Stryker AR-10 on the roof of your vehicle and key the mic at night... you'll see those blue lights! ... my Stryker is also still in the box waiting for me to do a range test so I have not seen them either... but I am told they are small and no police officer would give you a hard time about them.
as for the Silicone I buy 100% Silicone for a caulking gun... I get the one that say it has UV protection so the sun won't dry it out.... after you have the SWR set.... I would put on a rubber glove and run a small bead around where the whip goes into the top of the antenna.. and I would also put a little around anything that I thought could let water it.
I just looked at youtube... not sure I'm going to like those lights either blue lights. ..............
another youtube video of blue light

FPR1981

Here you go, niceguy71. Here are pictures of my hillbilly Starduster, comprised of a Tram 3500 with fiberglass antennas as radials.

Attachments

• received_1032057264865919.jpeg
    received_1032057264865919.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 13
  • received_783017846354202.jpeg
    received_783017846354202.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 13
  • received_778000337374500.jpeg
    received_778000337374500.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 13

FPR1981

looks great!
and if it works like the A-99 you sure got back

looks great!
and if it works like the A-99 you sure got it right!
I knew someone who had a K40 magnet mount in the center of their attic on a large metal pan, and spanning outward from each pan were runs of thick industrial tin foil that they used as makeshift radials.

He achieved an acceptable SWR and it didn't do too badly on the performance end for being indoors.

Likewise, I have used two 3 or 4 foot fiberglass antenna masts to make a half-wavelength dipole in places where an antenna was not permitted.

They work very well, albeit they're a bit narrower-banded with the shorter whips, but they can be tuned and finessed a bit.

There are all sorts of ways to creatively make mobile antennas perform as base antennas.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Sort of looks like my Wilson 1000M stuck on a plate with radials. Don't laugh, it works great.

You and your 1000M. Think it’s possible to affix that rig to a headstone and run hardline down to the casket once you’re gone?

FPR1981

Sort of looks like my Wilson 1000M stuck on a plate with radials. Don't laugh, it works great.

The Tram 3500 could be considered a knock off, somewhere between the Wilson 1000 and 5000. Very similar antenna.

Elsewhere in the product lineup, the Tram 300, which is no slouch, is virtually the same antenna as the Little Wil. Honestly, that Tram 300, placed center-of-roof on my old Accord, played almost as well as any larger magnetic mount antenna I owned. One evening, with that antenna, I used my President Taylor and a 100-watt amplifier and talked from the Perry/Licking County, Ohio line to a man who lived down the street from my house in Knox County.

According to Google maps, it was approximately 30 miles distance.

The Perry/Licking County line on State Route 13 is a very high elevation. There were closer distances along the ride home that I was unable to continue the conversation, but there was a couple mile stretch where we were talking just fine.