Google Map of Fleetnet Tower Sites

Should this thread be made a sticky? I've requested, but I've received no response

• This thread should be a sticky

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • This thread sucks

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrweather

I wonder if any of the OPP/MOH comms folks would be interested in seeing this setup?
<tinfoil hat on>
I'm sure they already know...
</tinfoil hat off>

:D

Nice job on the map. The Windsor site looks a bit odd though. Currently it's marked at the foot of Ellis Street next to the train tracks. Unless a tower has been installed recently, I'm not aware of one being there.

Perhaps another Windsorite (I lived there my whole life until 2000) can chime in. I always thought the Fleetnet site was on the apartment building at 880 Ouellette?

mchart13

Great work !!
Looking back at my home town area... Smooth Rock Falls
(been in GTA since '79)

In Zone 3

Departure Lake tower(032) should be moved east on Hwy 11 at Departure Lake Rd (if you zoom in you'll see the road) and Departure lake is south of Hwy 11 but I can't remember if the tower is on north side or south side (but you'll be close enough at Hwy 11 & Departure Lake Rd)

Also Fraserdale (033, the ? site) is north of Smooth Rock Falls on Hwy 634 (50-60kms)
and Abitibi River (I think the tower should be near the power dam, if you zoom in Satelite
image you can see the dam ; not that great resolution for that area)
see MTO hwy map...
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/map/images/pdf/northont/sheets/Map15.pdf

Also Nellie Lake tower (027) is not at Iroquois Falls but at Nellie Lake which is just west of Iroquois Falls
at Hwy 11 & Jacob's Hills Rd (again if you zoom in you'll see the road, and that's the Nellie (small) lake
at north west corner of Hwy 11 & Jacob's Hill Rd)

Last edited:

pkneeyahx

Human
mrweather.. thanks!

mchart13.. thank you sir.. I found the departure lake site down a bit.. if you were to drive south on Departure Lake Rd it'd be the third rd on the left. and I moved the fraserdale site as well. RR has no freq data for it.. so I left the no data available text in.

I also just saw you gave me an update for Nellie Lake.. Thanks a lot! I didn't know I'd get this much feedback for Zone 3.. Great Stuff!

Last edited:

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
very nice work... 009 Britannia 09BRIT should be on the south side of Britannia not the north... Guess walk it across the road..... :D But excellent work...

mrweather

very nice work... 009 Britannia 09BRIT should be on the south side of Britannia not the north...
And it's quite visible from all around. It isn't all that tall but sports a buttload of antennas.

If I'm not mistaken I think that location is the highest point (MSL) in Mississauga.

slicerwizard

If I'm not mistaken I think that location is the highest point (MSL) in Mississauga.
That ain't saying much... :)

I dropped the marker on Queen's Park for now.. but until someone gives me a definate location I'll keep the marker generalized. Thanks for letting me know.
It's on top of the Mowat Block (hence the site name); http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mowat_Block

keep in mind when I placed the markers on the town names, according to the site alias, I wasn't in satellite view. I merely dropped it into the centre of the populated area, or on the dot for the town. so, for all the unchecked sites, the marker could be positioned over a car, a house, a playground, a pool, the middle of the road. There are too many sites to get that specific so soon. That's why I'm asking all of you on here to help me fix the tower sites.
Most Fleetnet site coordinates can be determined from their Bell Mobility microwave licenses. This was covered on this forum some time ago.

pkneeyahx

Human
Most Fleetnet site coordinates can be determined from their Bell Mobility microwave licenses. This was covered on this forum some time ago.

Thanks man.. but I've found the lat and long on TAFL to be fairly unreliable.

And thanks for your Mowat tips..I'm having trouble finding it though.. I found the Whitney Block no prob..

.. I also can't seem to find the Britannia one.. I moved the marker south.. can you give me a cross st and I'll take a closer look.. thanks!!

Last edited:

pkneeyahx

Human
The following Zone 2 towers have been confirmed and locked in.

Drummond Centre, Cornwall, Kinburn, Vankleek Hill, Prescott, Alfred, Winchester, Morton.

Much love to David on the easternontarioscanning yahoo group for this info.

jellotor

The Owen Sound site is actually located in Rockford, northwest corner of Hwy 6&10 and the Derry Line. And it's been a while, but I believe the Kimberley site is located south of Kimberley on the east side of County Road 13. Steve would probably know better than I.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
thanks man.. owen sound is locked in..
i can't find a county rd 13 south of kimberly though.. unless i'm not looking all that hard.

It seems that Grey Co route 7 becomes Grey #13 south of Kimberley and continues until route #4.

pkneeyahx

Human
I'm going on a week vacation and willl have zero to spotty internet access. So please keep your updates coming. I'll reply when I can.. Thank you all very much!!!

Last edited:

slicerwizard

Thanks man.. but I've found the lat and long on TAFL to be fairly unreliable.
I dunno, the Cobourg site was right where they said it was.

And thanks for your Mowat tips..I'm having trouble finding it though.. I found the Whitney Block no prob..
I included a link.

.. I also can't seem to find the Britannia one.. I moved the marker south.. can you give me a cross st and I'll take a closer look.. thanks!!
Attached.

Last edited:

pkneeyahx

Human
hey all.. just lookin to get some more feedback from any of you on precise locations for the dotted markers on the map. I appreciate all of the submissions thus far. and it all happened within a couple of days. just trying to bring the post back up on the list for any who haven't seen it yet. I'd love to confirm a whack more for Zone 1.. or any zone for that matter.

Thanks all!

pkneeyahx

Human
can someone tell Mike_Oxlong to check his private messages, or this post? Thanks!

I've been requesting this thread be made a sticky with no response.

My google map and this thread was meant to be a collaborative effort, which cannot happen if it's buried 2, 3, 4, or even 10 pages in the forum. There are people who can provide data but do not check these forums on a daily basis. Over time it's become obvious to me that it should require maximum exposure to yield the data I suspect that will make the map precise. I'm looking to get this google map as precise as possible with the help from all of you. And I've tried to thank you all with your info you've provided thus far. This is an ongoing project, I don't have the time to gallivant across the province, nor do I have a gps device.. which is a luxury.. but still.

I am just looking for some exposure to get data to update the map.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.