Google Map of Fleetnet Tower Sites

Should this thread be made a sticky? I've requested, but I've received no response

• This thread should be a sticky

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • This thread sucks

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

imcleish

I need to speak up,

As somebody who has tried to put his own map together, it is very time consuming. Although there is a Great Overview Map available at http://home.ica.net/~phoenix/wap/Fleetnet/Fleetnet Zone 1.JPG, I am unable to edit/zoom/pan within the map. Not having this ability, and the creator keeping his map file in his hands, naturally people will look to create a more user friendly version.

Has anybody figured out what distance radius to use for 996 gps capabilities for each tower? From what I have found, not the same distance for each tower, especially once you start playing in the city of Toronto or Northern Ontario.

pkneeyahx, keep up the good work and dedication.

Others, help him out, if you know the details to be confirmed, let the guy know, everybody has said the details in the database are off, is there a reason? If i renew my subscription to the database I can use it with ARC again, and spend hours updating the GPS Co-ordinates as they ae incorrect/not specific enough for what I desire.

I thought this community desired to be collaborative and help one another out.....

My 2 cents, if you want change your worse off than me!!

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
If someone is willing to send me the confirmed co-ordinates for the fleetnet towers and the appox. range you want the radius set for, I am willing to update the tower information in the database. I was planning on doing the ones located in Durham Region this weekend.

If you can send me the coordinates in decimal degrees (i.e. 43.76542735) and the approx. range setting in miles, they can be easily updated.

slicerwizard

As somebody who has tried to put his own map together, it is very time consuming.
Tell me about it.

Although there is a Great Overview Map available at http://home.ica.net/~phoenix/wap/Fleetnet/Fleetnet Zone 1.JPG, I am unable to edit/zoom/pan within the map. Not having this ability, and the creator keeping his map file in his hands,
The MapPoint .ptm file has already been given to several people who asked for it.

Has anybody figured out what distance radius to use for 996 gps capabilities for each tower? From what I have found, not the same distance for each tower, especially once you start playing in the city of Toronto or Northern Ontario.
As you've discovered, terrain is the major factor, and GPS totally ignores that. What might be a good radius when approaching a site from one direction can be way off when coming from the opposite direction. Too bad Uniden doesn't take advantage of neighbour lists and RSSI.

pkneeyahx, keep up the good work and dedication.

Others, help him out, if you know the details to be confirmed, let the guy know
Lots of details here: http://home.ica.net/~phoenix/wap/Fleetnet/
Anyone, including pkneeyahx can use them.

everybody has said the details in the database are off, is there a reason?
Uh, because the database maintainer had to put something in? If that was your job, how would you have done it differently? If there was an Oakville site, what coordinates would you have entered? Leaving them blank isn't an option.

I thought this community desired to be collaborative and help one another out.....
From what I've seen, a number of members have been doing just that. I have posted the most comprehensive and accurate source that I am aware of. What more do you want?

If someone is willing to send me the confirmed co-ordinates for the fleetnet towers
You can get them here: http://home.ica.net/~phoenix/wap/Fleetnet/

If you can send me the coordinates in decimal degrees (i.e. 43.76542735)
Sorry, I don't have them to the nearest millimetre! :(

ve3tej

Premium Subscriber
Site 10 Port Stanley 42.67873 81.20465

Site 18 London 42.94950 81.32049

Site 21 Woodstock 43.09698 80.76578

Site 22 Aylmer 42.77899 80.85572

pkneeyahx

Human
ve3tej, thanks a lot for your help! those towers have been noted on the map! imcleish! thanks for your support! greatly appreciated.

slicerwizard.. I see you have recently updated your map not long after I started on this project. that info was not on the map I know from your site, and the ones I used in conjunction with google maps to guesstimate where those sites were at. anyways, thank you.. that will be a HUGE help to perfecting the google map.

pkneeyahx

Human
slicerwizard.. your zone 2 stuff is pretty damned accurate.. I'm including your lat and long info in the marker bubble as well. some of them are off by a touch, but with the beauty of the hi-res maps in some areas, they can be pinpointed. thanks man. I'll work on the rest of zone 2 tonight, and I'll plug down through the list. Big help man. Thank you!

pkneeyahx

Human
Zone 2 is now fully mapped. I didn't check previously confirmed sites. Now onto Zone 1. phew.. this is tedious work.

Zone 1 is confirmed.

Last edited:

pkneeyahx

Human
Zone 4 looks like it'll take some rethinking. It's a ***** to map out.

Slicerwizard.. I see you have more towers than here on RR.. according to what you've gleaned, I trust you in marking them. Your data is very accurate.

I'm just getting confused with the site names on RR and the site name on your data.. Would yours be more recent? thanks man.. and as always.. you have helped exponentially to map out fleetnet and I thank you for providing this data.

drm-1

Fleetnet Map

Hi - Just wanted to correct the location of the Zone 4 "Deception Bay" tower. The tower shown on the map is a comercial broadcast one. The OPP tower for that area is "Echo Bay" at 49.63638N -94.94916W as shown on Google earth at that location.
Keep up the great work....

slicerwizard

Slicerwizard.. I see you have more towers than here on RR.. according to what you've gleaned, I trust you in marking them. Your data is very accurate.
They're based on data taken from Bell Mobility microwave licenses, but be warned - someone wrote: "I've found the lat and long on TAFL to be fairly unreliable."

I'm just getting confused with the site names on RR and the site name on your data.. Would yours be more recent?
Submitters use the name of the nearest town/settlement; I use the Bell Mobility site name.

thanks man.. and as always.. you have helped exponentially to map out fleetnet and I thank you for providing this data.
No prob.

ATCTech

Zone 1 Site 9

BRITANNIA (Mississauga) Site #9 should be a bit east of where it's shown now. It's visible on the satellite view on the south side of Britannia Road, just west of Wallace St. at the back of a circular cluster of similarly shaped, dark roofed buildings that have a central parking area in the middle of them. The red/white tower and the light gray/white equipment hut is easily seen if you zoom in.

Great job on the map!!!!

Bob

ATCTech

Has the database been removed from Google maps? I don't see any sites in any browser these days.

unlisted

Yet another bump...

I was kinda hoping this would still work... Anyone able to revive it, or have a hard copy? (of a more interactive map?)

Status
Not open for further replies.