BCD325P2/BCD996P2: GPS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFTAMan

Premium Subscriber
I installed a GPS receiver to my 996P2 scanner. After installing, I saw that the GPS kicked in (the GPS receiver blinking and the scanner screen stated that the “GPS connected.” I programmed the latitude and longitude in setup. My question is when I go to a different county or different state, does the 996P2 automatically bring in the frequencies of those areas? Or do I need to program that county or state frequencies into the scanner before going to those different areas? I’m hoping the 996P2 would automatically scan.
I’m new at this.
thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The GPS device only reports location to the scanner. The scanner will then select the "stuff" that should be turned on or off based on the reported location. The "stuff" has to be in the scanner beforehand and for this model scanner, you have to program it.

The later generations of scanners (the x36 and the SDS lines) have the full database programmed. That's what you might be thinking of.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I installed a GPS receiver to my 996P2 scanner. After installing, I saw that the GPS kicked in (the GPS receiver blinking and the scanner screen stated that the “GPS connected.” I programmed the latitude and longitude in setup. My question is when I go to a different county or different state, does the 996P2 automatically bring in the frequencies of those areas? Or do I need to program that county or state frequencies into the scanner before going to those different areas? I’m hoping the 996P2 would automatically scan.
I’m new at this.
thanks
You would need to program the frequencies for the other counties, along with their location details. As ofd8001 noted, the GPS will update the actual location, and the scanner will only utilize those sites and groups that are within the range you specify.

MrFTAMan

Premium Subscriber
Ok thank you, guys. I’ll go to RR to seek the frequencies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If you do a lot of traveling, it might be wise to upgrade the scanner. The newer scanners just about do all the work for you. I recently traveled through 5 states and the only time I touched the scanner was to hit the "avoid" button a couple or three times. The 12v plug provided enough amperage to power the antenna and radio as well as keep the radio fully charged. I was using an SDS100.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Any time you connect the GPS, the scanner's location is overwritten each time it gets a location from the GPS. That includes manually entering a location for the scanner.

MrFTAMan

Premium Subscriber
Any time you connect the GPS, the scanner's location is overwritten each time it gets a location from the GPS. That includes manually entering a location for the scanner.
I’m not following you on this.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When deciding what to scan, the scanner compares its location to the location of sites to see if they are in range. The scanner only uses one memory for its location, whether you manually enter a location or plug in a GPS. So if you manually input a location and then plug in a GPS, the location you manually entered gets wiped out by the locations sent from the GPS, and when you unplug the GPS, the scanner will continue to use the last location it got from the GPS, not the manually entered location.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The scanner pretty much does everything for you. Mine works great.

MrFTAMan

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I’ll erase the LAT LONG info from the 996p2. I programmed them in yesterday but I’ll reverse that tomorrow. This GPS thing is very confusing. Anything else I need to know?
You guys are a great help to me. Thanks.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Ok, I’ll erase the LAT LONG info from the 996p2. I programmed them in yesterday but I’ll reverse that tomorrow.
There's no point in doing that. As soon as you plug the GPS in, whatever you input will be erased and replaced by data from the GPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.