Sentinel: Question on creating a favorite list on sentinel with colorado DTRS sites

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ok I understand the site hold process a little better now. Thank you for the clarification, makes perfect sense.

So, i would like to just cut the 2nd channel. But as stated, the state patrol has a fair amount of their transmissions on that channel. BUT, sometimes the transmissions are happening on my closer local site, I would say 1/4 of the time irregardless of their location. So if cutting the 2nd channel pushed all that radio traffic to my local channel would be great, but I'm most certain that's not how it would happen.

The antenna is worth a shot as I've noticed declined reception and some transmissions that come across my local stuff that seem to have reception issues. So we will give it a go and see.
If I was in your shoes, I'd perform a Site Hold on your strongest site, run it in ID Search, write down the talk groups that display, cross-reference with the database and that will give you a real good idea of who uses the site. Then go to the spot where the other sites are being decoded, and repeat the process.

It's very possible the state patrol at times "affiliates" with the closer site.

Don't use the terminology "cutting out a 2nd channel" which leads us here to think you're removing a "talk group". It's better to use the terminology "removing the 2nd site" when referring to trunking systems, or you might get confusing instructions to follow.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
If I was in your shoes, I'd perform a Site Hold on your strongest site, run it in ID Search, write down the talk groups that display, cross-reference with the database and that will give you a real good idea of who uses the site. Then go to the spot where the other sites are being decoded, and repeat the process.

It's very possible the state patrol at times "affiliates" with the closer site.

Don't use the terminology "cutting out a 2nd channel" which leads us here to think you're removing a "talk group". It's better to use the terminology "removing the 2nd site" when referring to trunking systems, or you might get confusing instructions to follow.
I didn't know you could do that...

I should say, someone gave me some instructions, that sound maybe like what you're explaining. But, I wasn't making clear of what it was for, does or about.

I will work on my radio lingo. I didn't realize the confusion. I don't know much.

Is it possible that the State patrol would still come in on my local site, instead of the 2nd site, if I deleted it since they use both? If you understand what I'm saying...

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know you could do that...

I should say, someone gave me some instructions, that sound maybe like what you're explaining. But, I wasn't making clear of what it was for, does or about.

I will work on my radio lingo. I didn't realize the confusion. I don't know much.

Is it possible that the State patrol would still come in on my local site, instead of the 2nd site, if I deleted it since they use both? If you understand what I'm saying...
Yes, you can do alot of little magical tricks with these scanners, so don't be surprised!

I wouldn't delete anything yet, but it's possible they affiliate with your site and is why I mentioned performing a site hold on the strongest site and look and listen what comes up. It's possible the farther away sites might give you garbling or poorer decoding and if you can hear what you want to hear on the stronger site, stick with it.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
This will help answer your questions and hopefully give you a better understanding of affiliation:

You will want to include your local site in Bent County (I believe you are in Bent County). This will provide the best coverage for your local agencies.
You will also want to include one of the neighboring sites - preferably in a count that has a CSP office. This will provide the best coverage for CSP.

The site in Bent County will only carry CSP traffic when a CSP trooper is in the area and affiliated with the site. The neighboring '2nd site' is more likely to carry CSP traffic.

Listening and logging is about the only way to figure out the exact use of a TGID - and what traffic is carried on each site.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you can do alot of little magical tricks with these scanners, so don't be surprised!

I wouldn't delete anything yet, but it's possible they affiliate with your site and is why I mentioned performing a site hold on the strongest site and look and listen what comes up. It's possible the farther away sites might give you garbling or poorer decoding and if you can hear what you want to hear on the stronger site, stick with it.
Thanks for that advice and information! I will definitely do some investigation on it and see what happens. I appreciate the tips and help!

So, since I've got your help on that, I would like to ask a question if you have the time, or anything at all helpful.

I'm looking for an external speaker for my sds100. I've read a lot about using a Bluetooth transmitter. I would much rather not unless it's last resort. I've seen people mention using a pair of computer speakers as well as someone who mentioned a Motorola amplified speaker and gave the model. However, that speaker requires a 3.5 mm plug to be added to it, And I don't have those skills.

Do you happen to have any idea what I can use, other than the Bluetooth option, and if so a link to it?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that advice and information! I will definitely do some investigation on it and see what happens. I appreciate the tips and help!

So, since I've got your help on that, I would like to ask a question if you have the time, or anything at all helpful.

I'm looking for an external speaker for my sds100. I've read a lot about using a Bluetooth transmitter. I would much rather not unless it's last resort. I've seen people mention using a pair of computer speakers as well as someone who mentioned a Motorola amplified speaker and gave the model. However, that speaker requires a 3.5 mm plug to be added to it, And I don't have those skills.

Do you happen to have any idea what I can use, other than the Bluetooth option, and if so a link to it?
I have both the SDS100 and SDS200's and don't have any issues with speakers on either one. I do use and like the sound of an external speaker on all of my SDS200's, so that's a preference more than necessity. If it's too low, try using Volume Offset of +2 or + 3 on your digital talk groups, that's what I do as digital doesn't have the background noise like analog.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
This will help answer your questions and hopefully give you a better understanding of affiliation:

You will want to include your local site in Bent County (I believe you are in Bent County). This will provide the best coverage for your local agencies.
You will also want to include one of the neighboring sites - preferably in a count that has a CSP office. This will provide the best coverage for CSP.

The site in Bent County will only carry CSP traffic when a CSP trooper is in the area and affiliated with the site. The neighboring '2nd site' is more likely to carry CSP traffic.

Listening and logging is about the only way to figure out the exact use of a TGID - and what traffic is carried on each site.
Thank you for that information.

Yes, the local CSP office is in the neighboring County, where the 2nd site is located. As stated, I hear the bulk of their transmissions on that 2nd site. Therefore, the reason I haven't deleted it, and accepted the little delay on my local agency's I'm monitoring.

Sometimes I hear 90% of their transmissions on that site, and sometimes their transmissions are more so on my local site, even though they are still further towards that 2nd sites area.

I suppose keeping both sites may be what is called for to properly listen to them. But I will do some investigation into it.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for that information.

Yes, the local CSP office is in the neighboring County, where the 2nd site is located. As stated, I hear the bulk of their transmissions on that 2nd site. Therefore, the reason I haven't deleted it, and accepted the little delay on my local agency's I'm monitoring.

Sometimes I hear 90% of their transmissions on that site, and sometimes their transmissions are more so on my local site, even though they are still further towards that 2nd sites area.

I suppose keeping both sites may be what is called for to properly listen to them. But I will do some investigation into it.
This is exactly what I do. My situation is different but I'm within range of 2 simulcast sites on Illinois Starcom 21 system. My primary ISP Troop affiliates with both sites, but I have the other troops programmed and run ID Scan so only hearing ISP. From where I'm at and the site affiliations, it's not uncommon for me to hear ISP radio traffic from downstate from here in Chicago as I'm hearing now. I set a priority on the nearest talk group so I won't miss a majority of the local traffic. I use my SDS200 with a discone antenna outside too.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
This is exactly what I do. My situation is different but I'm within range of 2 simulcast sites on Illinois Starcom 21 system. My primary ISP Troop affiliates with both sites, but I have the other troops programmed and run ID Scan so only hearing ISP. From where I'm at and the site affiliations, it's not uncommon for me to hear ISP radio traffic from downstate from here in Chicago as I'm hearing now. I set a priority on the nearest talk group so I won't miss a majority of the local traffic. I use my SDS200 with a discone antenna outside too.
I think I understand what you're saying, but unsure totally with the ID scan portion.

Also, I read in some other threads that priority channels don't work or something of those lines on digital. Is that not true?

I originally set my local fire and ems TG'S (2 TG's) on priority, as well as turning on the priority channel option before downloading my favorite list. However, because of reading those threads, discontinued it..

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I think I understand what you're saying, but unsure totally with the ID scan portion.

Also, I read in some other threads that priority channels don't work or something of those lines on digital. Is that not true?

I originally set my local fire and ems TG'S (2 TG's) on priority, as well as turning on the priority channel option before downloading my favorite list. However, because of reading those threads, discontinued it..
ID Scan...only those talk group ID's that I programmed come up. ID Search means every talk group comes up. Not beneficial in a large system, especially if I know what I want to hear.

Priority isn't a true radio priority, but it will "jump" to your talk groups set as priority once a conversation is completed on a non-priority talk group. It works as advertised in the manuals, but it doesn't "interrupt" conversations as a commercial radio would and that's where the complaints begin. If you set 2 talk groups as priority, it will check the first one you programmed as priority before the second one.

That's probably the thread you are referring to.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
ID Scan...only those talk group ID's that I programmed come up. ID Search means every talk group comes up. Not beneficial in a large system, especially if I know what I want to hear.

Priority isn't a true radio priority, but it will "jump" to your talk groups set as priority once a conversation is completed on a non-priority talk group. It works as advertised in the manuals, but it doesn't "interrupt" conversations as a commercial radio would and that's where the complaints begin. If you set 2 talk groups as priority, it will check the first one you programmed as priority before the second one.

That's probably the thread you are referring to.
Ok, I understand what you mean now. Yes, my scanner is on ID scanning for the TG's I've entered.

One question you may be able to help me figure out, or know more about. I will attach what I read yesterday. I noticed that sometimes I hear radio transmissions from the CSP troop 2c I am monitoring, and then for several hours, nothing on anything around me.

I know the description I am attaching says Denver, but my area dispatch is pueblo and dispatches for several troop offices. I don't know what they mean by the TG's or whatever are always changing. But I sure don't want to monitor ALL troop TG's to have a constant listening stream. But is that even what they are talking about? I'm very very confused and I imagine my dispatch for csp operates the exact way this details for Denver Area.

Any idea on this, or what it means exactly?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240625_125308_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240625_125308_Firefox.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 5

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I understand what you mean now. Yes, my scanner is on ID scanning for the TG's I've entered.

One question you may be able to help me figure out, or know more about. I will attach what I read yesterday. I noticed that sometimes I hear radio transmissions from the CSP troop 2c I am monitoring, and then for several hours, nothing on anything around me.

I know the description I am attaching says Denver, but my area dispatch is pueblo and dispatches for several troop offices. I don't know what they mean by the TG's or whatever are always changing. But I sure don't want to monitor ALL troop TG's to have a constant listening stream. But is that even what they are talking about? I'm very very confused and I imagine my dispatch for csp operates the exact way this details for Denver Area.

Any idea on this, or what it means exactly?
I'm not familiar with Colorado's system, so this question might be better directed to the Colorado forum, which I'm sure they have a thread for this statewide system.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Understood, thank you.
You have no control over which DTRS site carries which agency (Department) or Channel. (Talkgroup).

Especially on the front range, some sites are not available to all agencies. Also, if a unit (radio, say Longmont PD) drives over to my city (Grand Junction) and "associates" to a site over here, you can suddenly hear Longmont PD on the Grand Junction site.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
You have no control over which DTRS site carries which agency (Department) or Channel. (Talkgroup).

Especially on the front range, some sites are not available to all agencies. Also, if a unit (radio, say Longmont PD) drives over to my city (Grand Junction) and "associates" to a site over here, you can suddenly hear Longmont PD on the Grand Junction site.

Right, So I do understand that I have no control over the DTRS sites and who uses them. I don't dispute that.

My confusion was really just at, Why does my CSP troop seem to be silent for hours at a time. This led me to try and find answers, which led me to the information, that used Denver as an example and "Patching", that TG's from that area are sometimes grouped and or moved somehow to what I understand to be 1 TG combined with multiple troops during "off-peak" times, or for whatever the reason.

I was just trying to figure out how I could figure out where that TG was, and how to also monitor it, so I'm not missing out on radio traffic. My understanding is simply that I would need to add ALL TG's for my district ( District 2 ) and that would provide the TG that they have been grouped onto. That's simply if I understand that correctly.

Unfortunately, I have a few things I'm confused/unsure about regarding the grouping of the TG's, and monitoring them.

1. If I add the TG's For ALL district 2 troops TG's, will this result in having ALL their traffic from their area units all the time as well, or am I simply only going to hear my area cars as they are within my Site range I'm using, even though they have been moved to that troop areas TG? I would assume whatever the TG, that other District 2 troop/Troops are using is still going to only be heard off the SITE that they are closer to? OR am I going to Hear everything from ALL those district 2 cars outside my SITE boundary? I would still rather only hear my area cars, if possible, if they are using another TG, with the understanding that there could be some out of are stuff come through.

2. If what I've described is inaccurate, What is the option/Solution, from someone who knows, if they wouldn't mind sharing.

Thank You for the help/advice!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Right, So I do understand that I have no control over the DTRS sites and who uses them. I don't dispute that.

My confusion was really just at, Why does my CSP troop seem to be silent for hours at a time. This led me to try and find answers, which led me to the information, that used Denver as an example and "Patching", that TG's from that area are sometimes grouped and or moved somehow to what I understand to be 1 TG combined with multiple troops during "off-peak" times, or for whatever the reason.

I was just trying to figure out how I could figure out where that TG was, and how to also monitor it, so I'm not missing out on radio traffic. My understanding is simply that I would need to add ALL TG's for my district ( District 2 ) and that would provide the TG that they have been grouped onto. That's simply if I understand that correctly.

Unfortunately, I have a few things I'm confused/unsure about regarding the grouping of the TG's, and monitoring them.

1. If I add the TG's For ALL district 2 troops TG's, will this result in having ALL their traffic from their area units all the time as well, or am I simply only going to hear my area cars as they are within my Site range I'm using, even though they have been moved to that troop areas TG? I would assume whatever the TG, that other District 2 troop/Troops are using is still going to only be heard off the SITE that they are closer to? OR am I going to Hear everything from ALL those district 2 cars outside my SITE boundary? I would still rather only hear my area cars, if possible, if they are using another TG, with the understanding that there could be some out of are stuff come through.

2. If what I've described is inaccurate, What is the option/Solution, from someone who knows, if they wouldn't mind sharing.

Thank You for the help/advice!
This is where ID Search would benefit you to get the answer. I "suspect" whatever talk group is in use you will hear statewide patrols. You might find out it's one specific talk group they use for patching, or multiple talk groups?

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
This is where ID Search would benefit you to get the answer. I "suspect" whatever talk group is in use you will hear statewide patrols. You might find out it's one specific talk group they use for patching, or multiple talk groups?

Absolutely, I will give this a try and see what I can figure out.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Absolutely, I will give this a try and see what I can figure out.
The talk group (s) used might be in the database, or as I said before, put your system related questions in the Colorado Forum where you might find local listeners that aren't monitoring the Uniden forums.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
The talk group (s) used might be in the database, or as I said before, put your system related questions in the Colorado Forum where you might find local listeners that aren't monitoring the Uniden forums.
Correct, I have submitted a thread in the Colorado forum for some help on this topic. Also, from looking at the Colorado state patrol's website and district information, it seems all the TG's in the Database align with the troops (District 2) accordingly, that is if the Database reflects current and updated data, of course.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Suggest continuing this conversation in the thread created in the Colorado forum here: