Sentinel: Question on creating a favorite list on sentinel with colorado DTRS sites

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
South Metro and East Metro are in the South and East Denver Metro area over 100 miles away. I am not quite sure how you saw those as listed in Bent County.

The listing is very likely out-of-date, with almost all the information originating from the mid-2000s. From my understanding, Bent & Kiowa Counties (Bent dispatches for Kiowa) moved their law enforcement dispatch to TG 274, which is accurately listed as encrypted. They were among the first law enforcement in Colorado to flip the switch on encryption. I suspect that TG 203 is/was being used for EMS dispatch at some point, but I am not in a position to confirm anything with certainty.

Colorado sorely lacks intel from the rural parts of the state to provide updates for the area. I do know that some of the existing talkgroups have been completely inhibited from the system and that there are unknown talkgroups from the area that have not been identified, but that brings in a lot of complexity and confusion of programming for ID search operations. @chad_96, if you are up for it, you can add TG 276 through 279 manually with placeholder names to Bent County in case there is something interesting on those talkgroups.

As for sites, Fort Lyons Correctional is going to be an essential site for county coverage. The majority of the county's population is on the north side along the US-50. Toonerville is set up almost at the edge of the southern border of Bent County, more than 30 miles line-of-sight from US-50 at its closest point. Without it, there is very little portable radio coverage along the highway. The standard for site names is to base it off of actual site name used by the system, which for Colorado is based on physical location rather than intended users. As for additional sites, there are well positioned sites in neighboring Otero and Prowers Counties that provide coverage for US-50 into Bent County.
Hello,

So I followed the instructions that you sent on making a favorites list, step-by-step. This led to so far having great success in the programming, updating the firmware, and of course updating the database, first. As well as figuring out who was operating on channels mis-labeled in the Database.

The only issues I'm really noticing, maybe you could help with, is the one pointed out to me by several people. I have 12 Sites programmed for the stuff I'm trying to monitor. This has led to exactly what was pointed out in another reply I received. I'm getting radio transmissions cut off because of the amount of scanning im doing with all those sites. Problem is, I don't want to eliminate a site that one of the agencies might be using ( i.e. Colorado state patrol troop 2c ) as I previously mentioned.

One discovery that I made has been something that has stumped me. I'm not at all certain how far away I can hear radio traffic. But, Looking at the Site map for the 3 sites in my neighboring county ( Prowers County ) has confused me. There are 3 sites (Lamar,Carlton,Holly). The Lamar site is closest and more practical as its closer, and the Holly site overlaps and shows it covers a huge area as well. Carlton is in the middle and also covers a fair amount. However, I noticed in Otero County, Colorado that the state Patrol has mainly bounced between using the La Junta site as well as the Fort Lyon Correctional site in Bent County for their radio traffic.

So, Before I get to confusing, I am ultimately trying to figure out what sites to eliminate of the 12 I have programmed to reduce scanning. Is there any tips or advice you have that could help in this situation? I would assume that the site used just depends on where the radio transmission is initiated from and the closest tower to the radio and not just going to be on that normal site all the time? It seems rather that in the Otero County sites that everyone is predominantly using the "La Junta" site. but again I don't want to delete any sites there as well in case they happen to be broadcasting on another. I'm just absolutely stumped and confused on how to chose the sites that are applicable. I did also purchase a new antenna (REM-820S) to help with the the signal, if that factors in at all.

Thank you.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Hello,

So I followed the instructions that you sent on making a favorites list, step-by-step. This led to so far having great success in the programming, updating the firmware, and of course updating the database, first. As well as figuring out who was operating on channels mis-labeled in the Database.

The only issues I'm really noticing, maybe you could help with, is the one pointed out to me by several people. I have 12 Sites programmed for the stuff I'm trying to monitor. This has led to exactly what was pointed out in another reply I received. I'm getting radio transmissions cut off because of the amount of scanning im doing with all those sites. Problem is, I don't want to eliminate a site that one of the agencies might be using ( i.e. Colorado state patrol troop 2c ) as I previously mentioned.

One discovery that I made has been something that has stumped me. I'm not at all certain how far away I can hear radio traffic. But, Looking at the Site map for the 3 sites in my neighboring county ( Prowers County ) has confused me. There are 3 sites (Lamar,Carlton,Holly). The Lamar site is closest and more practical as its closer, and the Holly site overlaps and shows it covers a huge area as well. Carlton is in the middle and also covers a fair amount. However, I noticed in Otero County, Colorado that the state Patrol has mainly bounced between using the La Junta site as well as the Fort Lyon Correctional site in Bent County for their radio traffic.

So, Before I get to confusing, I am ultimately trying to figure out what sites to eliminate of the 12 I have programmed to reduce scanning. Is there any tips or advice you have that could help in this situation? I would assume that the site used just depends on where the radio transmission is initiated from and the closest tower to the radio and not just going to be on that normal site all the time? It seems rather that in the Otero County sites that everyone is predominantly using the "La Junta" site. but again I don't want to delete any sites there as well in case they happen to be broadcasting on another. I'm just absolutely stumped and confused on how to chose the sites that are applicable. I did also purchase a new antenna (REM-820S) to help with the the signal, if that factors in at all.

Thank you.
When you say transmissions are being cut off, do you mean mid-sentence or whenever there is a pause between when one person says something and another person replies? If it is happening in mid-sentence, then it might be a weak signal issue and that might be where a better antenna will help. If it is happening in between replies, then that could be too many sites. You could try adjusting the decreasing squelch (green/top function key on the side + volume knob) if it is a weak signal, or increasing the squelch if the scan speed is slow.

For site selection, that is a trial and error process that folks go through to fine tune their programming. The site coverage circles in the database are designed to select the best site for the local area, not the maximum possible receive distance. There are many cases where one can receive sites from far outside of the circle in the database if it sits on a large hill, but being able to listen to a site that sits 30 miles away is not very useful for someone who wants to hear the local trooper in their backyard. The Holly site has an incorrect range value that I somehow missed for many years, and I need to make a submission to get that corrected.

If you have a lot of sites that are available, then my default is to go with sites that are closest to where radios are most likely to be located, which is usually the bigger cities and towns. My thought is that troopers tend to stay around where people are located because it is where they see the most action. Sites with more frequencies tend to be busier, which would be an indication that a variety of talkgroups tend to be on those sites more often than not.

You should look into Quick Keys to have fine control over sites you are listening to. You can assign Quick Keys by selecting the State of Colorado DTRS System the Favorites List Editor tree, going Sites tab, using the drop down menu for each site. You can reuse the Quick Key for multiple sites at once. One example of using Quick Keys could be to assign 0 to enable/disable the main sites nearby like Lamar, Fort Lyon Correctional, Valley, and La Junta, and then using 1 to enable/disable the remaining eight sites that are rural and less likely to have traffic. You could then have Quick Key 0 enabled and Quick Key 1 disabled 90% of the time unless you specifically know something is going on in the rural parts that would need you to enable the rural sites. This can be expanded to any number of personal preferences such as assign sites by cardinal direction so that you can enable sites to the east or west independently. Some people like granularity to the point where they assign every site to its own quick key so that they can enable/disable individual sites.

Assuming that you only have the single Favorites List and System, then Site/Department Quick Keys should be a quick "..[Site/Department Quick Key #] E" to enable/disable. Quick Keys can become more complex if you are dealing with more than one Favorites List and Systems within each Favorites List as they have separate Quick Keys, which results in the need to enter "[Favorites List Quick Key].[System Quick Key].[Site/Department Quick Key] E" to target the exact Site/Department.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
When you say transmissions are being cut off, do you mean mid-sentence or whenever there is a pause between when one person says something and another person replies? If it is happening in mid-sentence, then it might be a weak signal issue and that might be where a better antenna will help. If it is happening in between replies, then that could be too many sites. You could try adjusting the decreasing squelch (green/top function key on the side + volume knob) if it is a weak signal, or increasing the squelch if the scan speed is slow.

For site selection, that is a trial and error process that folks go through to fine tune their programming. The site coverage circles in the database are designed to select the best site for the local area, not the maximum possible receive distance. There are many cases where one can receive sites from far outside of the circle in the database if it sits on a large hill, but being able to listen to a site that sits 30 miles away is not very useful for someone who wants to hear the local trooper in their backyard. The Holly site has an incorrect range value that I somehow missed for many years, and I need to make a submission to get that corrected.

If you have a lot of sites that are available, then my default is to go with sites that are closest to where radios are most likely to be located, which is usually the bigger cities and towns. My thought is that troopers tend to stay around where people are located because it is where they see the most action. Sites with more frequencies tend to be busier, which would be an indication that a variety of talkgroups tend to be on those sites more often than not.

You should look into Quick Keys to have fine control over sites you are listening to. You can assign Quick Keys by selecting the State of Colorado DTRS System the Favorites List Editor tree, going Sites tab, using the drop down menu for each site. You can reuse the Quick Key for multiple sites at once. One example of using Quick Keys could be to assign 0 to enable/disable the main sites nearby like Lamar, Fort Lyon Correctional, Valley, and La Junta, and then using 1 to enable/disable the remaining eight sites that are rural and less likely to have traffic. You could then have Quick Key 0 enabled and Quick Key 1 disabled 90% of the time unless you specifically know something is going on in the rural parts that would need you to enable the rural sites. This can be expanded to any number of personal preferences such as assign sites by cardinal direction so that you can enable sites to the east or west independently. Some people like granularity to the point where they assign every site to its own quick key so that they can enable/disable individual sites.

Assuming that you only have the single Favorites List and System, then Site/Department Quick Keys should be a quick "..[Site/Department Quick Key #] E" to enable/disable. Quick Keys can become more complex if you are dealing with more than one Favorites List and Systems within each Favorites List as they have separate Quick Keys, which results in the need to enter "[Favorites List Quick Key].[System Quick Key].[Site/Department Quick Key] E" to target the exact Site/Departm

Assuming that you only have the single Favorites List and System, then Site/Department Quick Keys should be a quick "..[Site/Department Quick Key #] E" to enable/disable. Quick Keys can become more complex if you are dealing with more than one Favorites List and Systems within each Favorites List as they have separate Quick Keys, which results in the need to enter "[Favorites List Quick Key].[System Quick Key].[Site/Department Quick Key] E" to target the exact Site/Department.

Hello,

So, the beginning of the transmission is cut off, sometimes quite a bit longer. From watching the scanner do its thing, I have noted what I consider to be the 2 factors in this. First, the time it takes to "cycle" through all the sites before getting back to that site, where if someone has began talking it has cut off however much time it took to cycle back to that site. Secondly, the scan list seems to cycle very slowly to me. I don't know if this is just the way the specific radio (Uniden SDS100) is, or just how these newer scanners are. lastly, it seems when someone is done talking it sticks to that specific "channel" for what seems like a longer time than I would imagine.

Anways, I will work on watching the sites mostly used and eliminate some that seem of no use. I hope I made sense with all this.

Thank You!

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
You might consider changing the ID Search field to ON for the system. It is in the Options tab (right pane) for the System.

This will allow you to discover any new talkgroups that are NOT in the database. You'll have to do some detective work to figure out what/who it is as all you get is the Talkgroup ID number. (You will also be "scanning" the programmed talkgroups that are not turned off).

From there you can submit any new "stuff" to the database folks.

If the majority of your listening is to frequencies 700-900 then you'll want the REM-820S.
I decided to give this a shot and turn on the ID search. To my surprise I found 1 TG that was not identified. Sounded like an electric company possibly.

So, I'm curious as to what I can do about discovering a new talk group. Personally, I didn't want to sit and listen to all their talk, so I shut off the ID search function. Once discovered and identified, can I avoid that channel since it's not in the database somehow on the radio?

I would have kept it going to try and identify TG and submit for thr database, but as I didn't know how to do anything about it I just shut it off until I find an answer.

One more quick question since I'm inquiring. On my local site, when it is scanning, it shows a data icon on the top when it gets on that site. I have searched through the manuals and everywhere I can think so far, and haven't found what it means. It's the only site that shows that while scanning.

Thank you for the help and advice in advance!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Another option would be to use the AVOID button on the scanner keypad. One press puts the channel in a temporary avoid status, a double press (two taps rapidly) puts the channel in permanent avoid status.

Temporary avoids are released when the scanner is powered off, meaning that when the scanner is turned back on, the channel will be "scanned". Permanent avoids are gone until re-programmed.

The Avoid button is applicable to both ID Search On and Off. It's a feature you should become familiar with as eventually there will be a channel you don't want to monitor. It's kind of a nuisance delete feature.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "data icon". If its what I think you mean, it isn't described in the SDS 100 manual, rather you have to look to older model scanner manuals. "DAT" means the scanner is receiving Control Channel Data. This can switch to either P25 or LNK/LINK. P25 means it is decoding a P25 voice transmission. LNK means the scanner is on a voice channel, but receiving unmodulated carrier. (Kinda like a repeater's hang time.)

On the audio being cut off, that could be the nature of the beast when scanning a P25 trunked system. I have a couple of "real" system radios I use in my fire department public information guy role. If I'm in the scan mode, I'll often hear a dispatcher acknowledge a unit, but I haven't heard the initial transmission.

Also another thing to consider when scanning numerous sites (and 12 is numerous): The scanner will "dwell" on a site for about 2 seconds to see if there are any talkgroups in your scan list are talking. If not, the scanner moves to the next site for another 2 seconds. To make the full "round" you are looking at 24 seconds (12x2). Most public safety transmissions are less than 5 seconds, so you will miss out on traffic.

So there is a trade-off coming with monitoring multiple sites.

As noted by others, programming/monitoring a statewide system is a trial and error process to find that "sweet spot" of just the right sites to monitor so you'll hear what you want to hear.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Another option would be to use the AVOID button on the scanner keypad. One press puts the channel in a temporary avoid status, a double press (two taps rapidly) puts the channel in permanent avoid status.

Temporary avoids are released when the scanner is powered off, meaning that when the scanner is turned back on, the channel will be "scanned". Permanent avoids are gone until re-programmed.

The Avoid button is applicable to both ID Search On and Off. It's a feature you should become familiar with as eventually there will be a channel you don't want to monitor. It's kind of a nuisance delete feature.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "data icon". If its what I think you mean, it isn't described in the SDS 100 manual, rather you have to look to older model scanner manuals. "DAT" means the scanner is receiving Control Channel Data. This can switch to either P25 or LNK/LINK. P25 means it is decoding a P25 voice transmission. LNK means the scanner is on a voice channel, but receiving unmodulated carrier. (Kinda like a repeater's hang time.)

On the audio being cut off, that could be the nature of the beast when scanning a P25 trunked system. I have a couple of "real" system radios I use in my fire department public information guy role. If I'm in the scan mode, I'll often hear a dispatcher acknowledge a unit, but I haven't heard the initial transmission.

Also another thing to consider when scanning numerous sites (and 12 is numerous): The scanner will "dwell" on a site for about 2 seconds to see if there are any talkgroups in your scan list are talking. If not, the scanner moves to the next site for another 2 seconds. To make the full "round" you are looking at 24 seconds (12x2). Most public safety transmissions are less than 5 seconds, so you will miss out on traffic.

So there is a trade-off coming with monitoring multiple sites.

As noted by others, programming/monitoring a statewide system is a trial and error process to find that "sweet spot" of just the right sites to monitor so you'll hear what you want to hear.

Thanks for the advice. I did cut back the sites to the 4 around me and started the proccess of finding what works best, with the least amount of sites. So far, so good on that.

I have searched everywhere I can think to reference on the "DATA" icon that only appears on my local most used site. of all the 12 sites i originally had, it was the only site that has displayed it. I will try and load a picture of it. Still, I have not found anything about it.

Thank You

Attachments

• 20240625_204049.jpg
    20240625_204049.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I have searched everywhere I can think to reference on the "DATA" icon that only appears on my local most used site. of all the 12 sites i originally had, it was the only site that has displayed it. I will try and load a picture of it. Still, I have not found anything about it.

Thank You
The Data icon means you're close enough to receive the control channel data being transmitted. If you're only seeing that on one site, that's the only one within your range that you can monitor properly. You can eliminate the other 3 you're not seeing that icon.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
OK, what I thought was what you are describing. DATA means it is receiving control channel data. P25 means there is an active P25 conversation.

I concur with the above post - if you do NOT see something while on a site, you are too far away to receive it and you are wasting scan time trying to. That is as good of a test that you can find on whether you are in range.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
The Data icon means you're close enough to receive the control channel data being transmitted. If you're only seeing that on one site, that's the only one within your range that you can monitor properly. You can eliminate the other 3 you're not seeing that icon.

I see what you're saying, but it's also confusing. I cut it down to the 4 closest sites. However, that site with the "Data" icon is my closest local site and does serve my local agency's. But I also get much more listening from 1 other of the four and it doesn't show the data icon. So I guess it really factors down Into keeping those 2 sites over the rest, as that's what seems to be broadcasting 95% out of the 12 sites I began with.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
OK, what I thought was what you are describing. DATA means it is receiving control channel data. P25 means there is an active P25 conversation.

I concur with the above post - if you do NOT see something while on a site, you are too far away to receive it and you are wasting scan time trying to. That is as good of a test that you can find on whether you are in range.
Understood. As I told the previous post other than that local site that shows the data icon, I get a lot of listening from the closest site on the other side of me also. So although it doesn't show that icon, I think that I will keep those 2 sites and call it a success on finding my site preferences. I appreciate your help!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
But I also get much more listening from 1 other of the four and it doesn't show the data icon.
Not sure what you mean? Are you receiving traffic from a site you don't see the data icon while no transmission is occurring? Try a site hold on that site and see if this is actually what's happening.

Function..soft key under display will show Site..press that and scanner will be in site hold.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what you mean? Are you receiving traffic from a site you don't see the data icon while no transmission is occurring? Try a site hold on that site and see if this is actually what's happening.

So, oddly enough.. I have never seen that icon on any of the other channels than the 1 site. While reading your post I unplugged my scanner and took it into another room with me, and now I got the data icon on 3 sites of the 4 scanning.

I did order a new antenna, the rem-820S as it was raved about being the better option for my scanning type. So, maybe I am having some issues with reception, and that new antenna will just help the overall performance? Not sure as a newbie to this, but off the top of my head seems that way and a helpful upgrade.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
So, oddly enough.. I have never seen that icon on any of the other channels than the 1 site. While reading your post I unplugged my scanner and took it into another room with me, and now I got the data icon on 3 sites of the 4 scanning.

I did order a new antenna, the rem-820S as it was raved about being the better option for my scanning type. So, maybe I am having some issues with reception, and that new antenna will just help the overall performance? Not sure as a newbie to this, but off the top of my head seems that way and a helpful upgrade.
Closest to one site, the others not as close. If you're receiving the talk groups you want to hear across the strongest site, stick with that one.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Closest to one site, the others not as close. If you're receiving the talk groups you want to hear across the strongest site, stick with that one.
Ok. That's a pickle. I hear my local agency's on the strongest. However, my state patrol transmissions are all pretty much on the 2nd closest site that is all of a sudden showing data, from moving the scanner. Not sure how to handle that scenario? Keep the 2? Surely if I delete that 2nd site I will lose listening to the site they transmit on the most, correct?

Also, I did try and do a hold on that channel and it went from data, to P25 Icon, to a link icon when a transmission happened and then back to data.

Spitfire8520

I decided to give this a shot and turn on the ID search. To my surprise I found 1 TG that was not identified. Sounded like an electric company possibly.

So, I'm curious as to what I can do about discovering a new talk group. Personally, I didn't want to sit and listen to all their talk, so I shut off the ID search function. Once discovered and identified, can I avoid that channel since it's not in the database somehow on the radio?

I would have kept it going to try and identify TG and submit for thr database, but as I didn't know how to do anything about it I just shut it off until I find an answer.
Listening is about the only way to figure out the exact use of a TGID, but you can use adjacent TGIDs and Unit IDs to narrow down potential users. TGIDs in Colorado are usually assigned in blocks by county, but it does not cover specific agencies. Power users will save Unit IDs and see if a known user shows up on unknown TGIDs. The minimum information needed for RadioReference to consider a TGID identified is who is using it and what it is being used for. Bonus stuff would be the exact name of the TGID, but that information is not very common to hear.

The submission process is done by visiting the system page, using the Menu button on the top right, and clicking on Submit Changes. RadioReference has a guide of what they are looking for on submissions found here: RR Database Submission Guidelines - The RadioReference Wiki.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Listening is about the only way to figure out the exact use of a TGID, but you can use adjacent TGIDs and Unit IDs to narrow down potential users. TGIDs in Colorado are usually assigned in blocks by county, but it does not cover specific agencies. Power users will save Unit IDs and see if a known user shows up on unknown TGIDs. The minimum information needed for RadioReference to consider a TGID identified is who is using it and what it is being used for. Bonus stuff would be the exact name of the TGID, but that information is not very common to hear.

The submission process is done by visiting the system page, using the Menu button on the top right, and clicking on Submit Changes. RadioReference has a guide of what they are looking for on submissions found here: RR Database Submission Guidelines - The RadioReference Wiki.
Yeah, I'm going to have to learn the proper way of unknown talkgroups and identifying them. I'm sure that will come in time.

I made my first database submission yesterday and got it updated for my county. So, got that little bit of the process down.

I will definitely work on searching for new stuff and trying to identify.

Thanks for all the great advice so far!

Spitfire8520

Ok. That's a pickle. I hear my local agency's on the strongest. However, my state patrol transmissions are all pretty much on the 2nd closest site that is all of a sudden showing data, from moving the scanner. Not sure how to handle that scenario? Keep the 2? Surely if I delete that 2nd site I will lose listening to the site they transmit on the most, correct?

Also, I did try and do a hold on that channel and it went from data, to P25 Icon, to a link icon when a transmission happened and then back to data.
You have a goal of listening to both groups, so I would say that it is acceptable that there will be a little bit of delay as it checks between the sites. The new antenna should help out with the weaker sites and make them more reliable.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
You have a goal of listening to both groups, so I would say that it is acceptable that there will be a little bit of delay as it checks between the sites.
That's what I was thinking was the happy medium in this case. I will finally put the programming and sites fine tunning to rest and move onto the horrible speaker quality and solution and I should have a pretty solid move forward on learning and understanding everything technical and what not with these scanners.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

Channel hold (monitoring one specific talk group) isn't the same as Site hold (holding on one site), so not to add more confusion.

It's not uncommon to have certain agencies "affiliate" with one site vs the other. That's the terminology you might see mentioned here as to what you're describing. The antenna might help from your location in the house, or maybe not? You'll figure that out when it arrives. You also might try the filters on those sites that you're having issues with where you prefer to listen is another suggestion.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Channel hold (monitoring one specific talk group) isn't the same as Site hold (holding on one site), so not to add more confusion.

It's not uncommon to have certain agencies "affiliate" with one site vs the other. That's the terminology you might see mentioned here as to what you're describing. The antenna might help from your location in the house, or maybe not? You'll figure that out when it arrives. You also might try the filters on those sites that you're having issues with where you prefer to listen is another suggestion.
Ok I understand the site hold process a little better now. Thank you for the clarification, makes perfect sense.

So, i would like to just cut the 2nd channel. But as stated, the state patrol has a fair amount of their transmissions on that channel. BUT, sometimes the transmissions are happening on my closer local site, I would say 1/4 of the time irregardless of their location. So if cutting the 2nd channel pushed all that radio traffic to my local channel would be great, but I'm most certain that's not how it would happen.

The antenna is worth a shot as I've noticed declined reception and some transmissions that come across my local stuff that seem to have reception issues. So we will give it a go and see.