Sentinel: Question on creating a favorite list on sentinel with colorado DTRS sites

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I just have to figure out where the location control setting is to enable and how that works.

1718981571190.png
1718981611599.png
1718981655002.png

The set Location Control is found usin sentinel to edit the system. It’s in the options tab if I remember correctly. Right side of screen.

Location can also be done on the scanner.
Menu-
1718980533604.png

set zip
1718980567455.png

then set range
1718980613080.png

1718980660624.png

To enter lower numbers, hit NO .
1718980801176.png It will clear out what's there. Then enter what you wish. .5 for half mile and1.0 for 1 mile, and so on. Max is 50.0 miles.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
but when you create a favorits list and add your first department, it also loads ALL sites in colorado. And this is where I'm trying to figure out what to do about it, if anything at all.
This is one of the drawbacks about Sentinel. You'll need to go through and remove the sites/departments/TGIDs you don't need. Proscan allows for greater FL selectivity but you'll need a premium subscription to Radioreference as a prerequisite to use the RR web import service

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Hi, Thanks for the input on this. Yes, someone from colorado who is monitoring the same DTRS state system is definitely most helpful, so thank you.

I'm sorry as I'm new to this, like 2 days new, but I just want to clarify 2 things and see if I'm correct.

So, basically you're saying I can use the zip code feature, and then avoid channels that come up that I don't want. Until basically I have fine tuned the channels in that zip code and range that is dialed in, and could also save it as a favorites list at the end of the "fine tuning"?

Last, if I just leave all the sites that automatically load onto the favorites list for coloradoDTRS, it will only use the sites that are really used and valid in the range, once I chose "location control" for my favorites list?

Does that sound like I understand correctly on those? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yep.

You can’t break a scanner with bad programming. So give this a try and see how it goes.

There’s an easy way to erase the blackboard and start anew.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
but when you create a favorits list and add your first department, it also loads ALL sites in colorado. And this is where I'm trying to figure out what to do about it, if anything at all.
As you have observed, Sentinel adds all of the sites for the system when you append to a favorite list. Other applications (e.g. Proscan and ARC536BASIC) allow you to only load the sites of interest.

You will only want to scan sites that are within range. There are multiple ways to achieve what you are trying to do - select what sites you scan:
  • Avoid unwanted sites
  • Delete unwanted sites
  • Use Location Control to avoid unwanted sites
You may want to try multiple approaches and see what works best for you.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
This is one of the drawbacks about Sentinel. You'll need to go through and remove the sites/departments/TGIDs you don't need. Proscan allows for greater FL selectivity but you'll need a premium subscription to Radioreference as a prerequisite to use the RR web import service
Thanks,

Would just biting the bullet and paying for a premium membership, and going through Proscan be the easier and better option for creating a "favorites" list? And would it be a simpler and more hassle free way to go, to remedy the issue with having all the unnecessary sites on a favorites list and so on..? Or is it more advanced and complicated than using sentinel?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Thanks,

Would just biting the bullet and paying for a premium membership, and going through Proscan be the easier and better option for creating a "favorites" list? And would it be a simpler and more hassle free way to go, to remedy the issue with having all the unnecessary sites on a favorites list and so on..? Or is it more advanced and complicated than using sentinel?

ProScan is a most excellent program - well worth the investment.

Bonus: Bob (Mr ProScan himself) monitors here and will jump in on occasion to assist, not only with ProScan, but stuff in general if he can help..

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
View attachment 164388
View attachment 164389
View attachment 164390

Location can also be done on the scanner.
Menu-
View attachment 164383

set zip
View attachment 164384

then set range
View attachment 164385

View attachment 164386

To enter lower numbers, hit NO .
View attachment 164387 It will clear out what's there. Then enter what you wish. .5 for half mile and1.0 for 1 mile, and so on. Max is 50.0 miles.
Thank you for this, it's extremely helpful and a great insight.

One final question after looking at this I have for you, as I've really been a pest to you all as a newbie.

Would my thinking be correct or incorrect. Basically, I understand a "site" as really a communication tower, that runs "X" amount of frequencies on any given 1 site. Ultimately, only those "sites" within so far of a range/distance are really applicable and useful for my local departments/entity's? Further away "sites" really wouldn't be applicable to local or very close proximity departments or "radios in use" as they would use the closer towers and their associated frequencies?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As noted by RMason, you have three choices when dealing with the extra, unwanted, sites when appending a system in Sentinel. While you can select, and append, Departments of your choice, without getting the entire system, Sentinel will still append every site in the database.

1718998542774.png
As shown, there are three schools of choice as to how to deal with them. Using location control on the Favorites list tells the scanner to skip those sites that are out of range. Sentinel, by default, appends all the sites since there is not a notation in the database as to which talkgroups are carried on any specific site. Location is the easiest & quickest way to deal with them, as long as you remember that any new system that you enter in that list (which is not yet in the main database) must also have correct location & range details or else the scanner will skip it. A blank location is treated as zero degrees for both latitude & longitude, which translates to a location off the coast of Africa, and well out of range.

You can manually set the unwanted sites to Avoid, or simply Delete them. I prefer delete, but some would rather set as Avoid if needed in the future. Sentinel lists sites in a system in alphabetical order, by the name of the site. To make sure you are selecting only the excess sites, not ones you need, start by clicking on the County column header on the systems database page.
1718999409554.png

This will re-order the sites by counties in alphabetical order, making it easier for you to identify the surplus sites to either manually avoid, or delete.
1718999555119.png

The easiest, and most effective way, to manually get only the sites you want is being a Premium Subscriber (I see that you have made that change). Then, using ProScan, you can import only the departments, and their associated sites, into a Favorites list. (ARC536 also lets you import selected items, but I prefer ProScan.)

I would note that, if you wanted to go back and append one or more additional departments to your list, you can avoid having Sentinel again including all the system sites, including those that you had set as Avoid or deleted. To avoid a repeat of a site tsunami wave, make sure that the name of the system, in your Favorites list, matches the name of the system in the main database. In your case, the name is fairly short, State of Colorado DTRS. As long as that system name is unchanged in your Favorites list, you can append additional Departments without also pulling the full site list again. If, instead, you shortened the name to DTRS, and tried to append again, Sentinel would create a new State of Colorado DTRS system in your Favorites list. Leaving the name unchanged, Sentinel "remembers" that it already appended the complete sites list to a system with the same name, and will not duplicate them again (unless you modify the system name).

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
As noted by RMason, you have three choices when dealing with the extra, unwanted, sites when appending a system in Sentinel. While you can select, and append, Departments of your choice, without getting the entire system, Sentinel will still append every site in the database.

View attachment 164417
As shown, there are three schools of choice as to how to deal with them. Using location control on the Favorites list tells the scanner to skip those sites that are out of range. Sentinel, by default, appends all the sites since there is not a notation in the database as to which talkgroups are carried on any specific site. Location is the easiest & quickest way to deal with them, as long as you remember that any new system that you enter in that list (which is not yet in the main database) must also have correct location & range details or else the scanner will skip it. A blank location is treated as zero degrees for both latitude & longitude, which translates to a location off the coast of Africa, and well out of range.

You can manually set the unwanted sites to Avoid, or simply Delete them. I prefer delete, but some would rather set as Avoid if needed in the future. Sentinel lists sites in a system in alphabetical order, by the name of the site. To make sure you are selecting only the excess sites, not ones you need, start by clicking on the County column header on the systems database page.
View attachment 164418

This will re-order the sites by counties in alphabetical order, making it easier for you to identify the surplus sites to either manually avoid, or delete.
View attachment 164419

The easiest, and most effective way, to manually get only the sites you want is being a Premium Subscriber (I see that you have made that change). Then, using ProScan, you can import only the departments, and their associated sites, into a Favorites list. (ARC536 also lets you import selected items, but I prefer ProScan.)

I would note that, if you wanted to go back and append one or more additional departments to your list, you can avoid having Sentinel again including all the system sites, including those that you had set as Avoid or deleted. To avoid a repeat of a site tsunami wave, make sure that the name of the system, in your Favorites list, matches the name of the system in the main database. In your case, the name is fairly short, State of Colorado DTRS. As long as that system name is unchanged in your Favorites list, you can append additional Departments without also pulling the full site list again. If, instead, you shortened the name to DTRS, and tried to append again, Sentinel would create a new State of Colorado DTRS system in your Favorites list. Leaving the name unchanged, Sentinel "remembers" that it already appended the complete sites list to a system with the same name, and will not duplicate them again (unless you modify the system name).
Hey, thanks! That's great information, and I really appreciate it.

Maybe you can help me on an issue. I did in fact go forward with getting the premium membership, as suggested. My question, when it comes to proscan, I know I need to download that software and from my understanding I can enter in my RR log in info, maybe? This to have the two work together in whatever manner they do, I haven't gotten that far into. However, does proscan cost additional to my premium subscription to my RR premium membership? Or can I use it without additional charge due to my premium membership?

Thanks in advance!

RMason

Premium Subscriber
However, does proscan cost additional to my premium subscription to my RR premium membership? Or can I use it without additional charge due to my premium membership?

Thanks in advance!

The License Cost for Proscan is $50.00 USD. This is separate from the RR premium membership. You can "try before you buy" with a 30 day fully functional trial. See ProScan for information

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey, thanks! That's great information, and I really appreciate it.

Maybe you can help me on an issue. I did in fact go forward with getting the premium membership, as suggested. My question, when it comes to proscan, I know I need to download that software and from my understanding I can enter in my RR log in info, maybe? This to have the two work together in whatever manner they do, I haven't gotten that far into. However, does proscan cost additional to my premium subscription to my RR premium membership? Or can I use it without additional charge due to my premium membership?

Thanks in advance!
ProScan does have a 30 day free trial period. After that period expires, if you wish to continue using the software, you would need to purchase a license for it, That cost is $50, and it's a "one time" fee, no annual or other period renewals needed. That $50 also gets you any updates to the software, at no extra fee. ProScan can be used with a wide variety of Uniden scanners, including some that were first introduced a couple of decades ago, and have been out of production for years.. Examples include the BC780LXT, released in 2000, and the BC785D, first released in 2003. Besides database imports, you can import programming from a file for one scanner model, and reconfigure it for a totally different model. Your $50 license fee lets you install ProScan on two different PCs. You can copy the files in one PC, into another folder on that same PC, and use ProScan to monitor, log, and record activity on more that one scanner.

ARC536 Basic covers 4 scanners: BCD536HP, BCD536HP, SDS100, and SDS200. For other scanner models, additional ARC software would have to be purchased. The Basic version, about $40, is for programming only. If you also want virtual control & logging, you have to upgrade to the "Pro" version, at $70. It is still limited to the same 4 scanner models. (ProScan, @$50, covers many more scanner models than ARC536, and includes logging and recording without any additional fee required.) ARC536, either version, also has a free trial period.

Your RadioReference login (user name and password) are used in ProScan as well as ARC536 to validate your access to import from the main database.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
ProScan does have a 30 day free trial period. After that period expires, if you wish to continue using the software, you would need to purchase a license for it, That cost is $50, and it's a "one time" fee, no annual or other period renewals needed. That $50 also gets you any updates to the software, at no extra fee. ProScan can be used with a wide variety of Uniden scanners, including some that were first introduced a couple of decades ago, and have been out of production for years.. Examples include the BC780LXT, released in 2000, and the BC785D, first released in 2003. Besides database imports, you can import programming from a file for one scanner model, and reconfigure it for a totally different model. Your $50 license fee lets you install ProScan on two different PCs. You can copy the files in one PC, into another folder on that same PC, and use ProScan to monitor, log, and record activity on more that one scanner.

ARC536 Basic covers 4 scanners: BCD536HP, BCD536HP, SDS100, and SDS200. For other scanner models, additional ARC software would have to be purchased. The Basic version, about $40, is for programming only. If you also want virtual control & logging, you have to upgrade to the "Pro" version, at $70. It is still limited to the same 4 scanner models. (ProScan, @$50, covers many more scanner models than ARC536, and includes logging and recording without any additional fee required.) ARC536, either version, also has a free trial period.

Your RadioReference login (user name and password) are used in ProScan as well as ARC536 to validate your access to import from the main database.
Thank you for that information!

For a new scanner user, would ProScan be easier to use to program a scanner for the first time by a newbie? As well as more user friendly?

I've read a little bit, not much, that doesn't really come out and say it, but eludes to the idea that programming a scanner is much easier and user friendly, using ProScan ( with the RR premium membership, of course) versus trying to use sentinel to create a programming list.

Could you share your best opinion on that? I don't want to spend the money on ProScan if I'm going to have just as hard of time, or it's just as complex as trying to use Sentinel for the first time as a newbie.

Thanks in advance!

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
It couldn’t get too much easier than Sentinel to create your first couple of favorites lists, so no I don’t think ProScan is that much easier. ProScan is much more feature-rich and advanced than Sentinel, just not sure I would say easier.

You need to learn about all the trunking and digital terms and concepts no matter which software you use and this is where most of the complexity comes into play.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the advice.

It seems like the only problem I have at all with sentinel thus far, is that it loads ALL sites.

I think I will stick with Sentinel for the time being and just "Avoid" all the sites that seem far away/out of the area and senseless. I am in a rural area mostly and there are really only 12 "Sites" throught the several counties I found. So, I just have those enabled on my list, which still may be overkill, but a start.

Thanks again, I appreciate any all the advice and tips.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the helpful video and advice!

Unfortunately, I can't just go under my county tab and add channels. My county and most others use the statewide state of colorado dtrs system. I get the gist of adding the county/departments, but when you create a favorits list and add your first department, it also loads ALL sites in colorado. And this is where I'm trying to figure out what to do about it, if anything at all.
Watch the video again, it doesn't involve appending from the database, but doing it yourself. I program my statewide system the way it's done in the video.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Let me summarize something. You have to learn some new things:

1. A complex statewide radio system
2. A new scanner
3. Sentinel software (firmware, master database and favorites lists)
4. Pro Scan software (if you go that route now instead of waiting)

You may want to lower your learning curve as much as you can for now. There are so many little things that can cause problems and frustrations.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Hi, Thanks for the input on this. Yes, someone from colorado who is monitoring the same DTRS state system is definitely most helpful, so thank you.

I'm sorry as I'm new to this, like 2 days new, but I just want to clarify 2 things and see if I'm correct.

So, basically you're saying I can use the zip code feature, and then avoid channels that come up that I don't want. Until basically I have fine tuned the channels in that zip code and range that is dialed in, and could also save it as a favorites list at the end of the "fine tuning"?

Last, if I just leave all the sites that automatically load onto the favorites list for coloradoDTRS, it will only use the sites that are really used and valid in the range, once I chose "location control" for my favorites list?

Does that sound like I understand correctly on those? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yes that sounds like you understand the basics.

Location control and service types are the keys

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Watch the video again, it doesn't involve appending from the database, but doing it yourself. I program my statewide system the way it's done in the video.
I will definitely watch it again and see if I can understand it, at this time it makes no sense to me. Again, I'm new and why it seems like it's more complicated than it truly can be, I'm sure it will make more sense as the days go by. I have saved the video and will also hang on to it as a reference as I go along. I appreciate your help!

Thank you!