GRE PSR-900 Pre-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaGuy1603

I agree. That is why I haven't bought a portable scanner to replace my D250XLT. My primary interest is Law enforcement trunking systems, particularly Shawnee & Douglas counties in KS. If the current handheld scanners fail to decode APCO 25 well, it is a waste of money to me.

The GRE PSR-800 decodes it quite well

mlmummert

Thing is the longer they go without releasing the 900, the closer to obsolescence it gets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thats why the smart people are starting to move over to the commerical side and buying a real Motorola radio that works the way it should. Having a quality radio which is not a scanner is the best way to go if you can find the right one and have the money it takes to buy one.

The programming is alot more difficult to learn but its that way with any types of scanner that you have bought for the first time. The quality of the output is so awesome.

I think Motorola should get into the scanner business. They would make one hell of radio receiver if they were smart. But that would probably never happen and the consumer would have to realize that they are going to have to pay double or even triple for what a scanner costs to make and sell.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Of course the smarter people are not making assumptions... Not all systems are Motorola. Motorolas can't scan like a scanner. And many Mot systems cannot be legally programmed.

And the key... You can find more expensive radios than Motorola. But you can't find better.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Not that at all. You're the one who said "smart people are going to Motorola" so I was simply pointing out the fallacy of that statement. It doesn't matter how smart you are, for many users it is clearly not an option regardless of brains or money.

pepsima1

Banned
Like I said before I am being the smarter person which is my opinion and there are alot of other people that have followed suit because of the scanner industry starting to take a dive since GRE is out of business and is not coming back which is a fact. Uniden has not come out with any new models and is dragging their feet so its time to get a real radio and quit wasting your time listening to a cheap radio.

Plus you are completely wrong about legally using a commerical radio to listen to the airwaves and programming it the way you want. People have been doing it for years now and plus Motorola makes an awesome radio from the XTS models all the way up to their APX models. Once you read and understand that side of the business you will join the club.

Any radio that you program with only receive and no transmit as well as not affiliating is totally legal. As long as you know what you are doing then its legal.

Let me throw out this question to you.... Have you ever driven over the speed limit in your car? Of course you have also has everybody else. So its illegal to drive over the speed limit of course. People do it all the time. There are grey areas to everything with life............

IowaGuy1603

Like I said before I am being the smarter person which is my opinion and there are alot of other people that have followed suit because of the scanner industry starting to take a dive since GRE is out of business and is not coming back which is a fact. Uniden has not come out with any new models and is dragging their feet so its time to get a real radio and quit wasting your time listening to a cheap radio.

Plus you are completely wrong about legally using a commerical radio to listen to the airwaves and programming it the way you want. People have been doing it for years now and plus Motorola makes an awesome radio from the XTS models all the way up to their APX models. Once you read and understand that side of the business you will join the club.

Any radio that you program with only receive and no transmit as well as not affiliating is totally legal. As long as you know what you are doing then its legal.

Let me throw out this question to you.... Have you ever driven over the speed limit in your car? Of course you have also has everybody else. So its illegal to drive over the speed limit of course. People do it all the time. There are grey areas to everything with life............

That fancy Motorola radio isn't going to work listening to the P25 simulcast system that is set up to run on Harris radios & I dont' care how good you are at programming them.

Since the 2 systems in my area that I scann both use the Harris radios----------------It would be worthless for me to buy a Motorola radio

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
The Big M

With motorolas track record, if they made a scanner the price would be overwhelming. You could buy a few Icoms a coulple AOR and a excalibur for what they would want for their proprietary system. They have already proved it in radio and satellite recievers.

bottk

Uniden purchase GRE?

I realize this is a big shot in the dark, but maybe uniden could buy out whats left of GRE,

With the technology of both company's combined they could really kick some major butt, in the communications world

sorry ahead of time if someone already posted a simalar reply

dgmaley

Brand X

think Motorola should get into the scanner business

Interesting comment pepsima1.
I worked with Motorola during the time they still used crystals. Got out of land mobile and went into radio TV broadcast. Now retired. We called them "Brand X" because it was what everyone else compared theirs to. A Schamberg made Motorola was hard to beat. I only have one left. It was their first use of transistors.
Cost of their radios has actually gone down if you include the value of the dollar.
Police scanners aren't made like regular land mobile equipment. They are more like Ham gear. But I would not want to take a GRE scanner into a working fire either. The Motorola salesman would sell HT220's by taking his demo unit, removing the antenna, then throw it against the wall as hard as he could. He would pick it up, put the antenna back on and talk on it. Railroad workers would put them under freight car wheels to keep them from rolling. This stuff got really ugly looking. Still worked. Tower crane operators whould never use headsets, They would just hold the radio in one hand. If there was a problem, the radio got hurled in the back of the cab so he had both hands free.
The older radios never scanned, unless you spun the channel switch. Will the new trunking equipment allow some form of scanning?
Dave...

rdale

Premium Subscriber
so its time to get a real radio and quit wasting your time listening to a cheap radio.

Okay smarter person... My jurisdiction is on EDACS. How do I program that into the Motorola?

Once you read and understand that side of the business you will join the club.

Does your club know that you can't hear a P25 system unless you affiliate? Which involves transmitting? Which could interfere with the system? And is clearly not legal?

There are grey areas to everything with life............

Very true. What is not grey is that you are not quite as knowledgable about radio systems as you think. So stop throwing the smarter tag around because it doesn't fit.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Thread Closed and Unstuck

Folks, it is unlikely there will be a PSR900 anytime in the foreseeable future...you remember, the topic of this thread, so I am closing it and unsticking it. It will go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.