• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ground Plane/SWR Antenna Tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Whats going on Porkchop ? did you fix your problem ?

Porkchop

Whiteville, North Carolina(Columbus County)
I've put it on hold until I think it through. I drove the truck today and I didn't get static from the wheels, so I'm pretty sure putting graphite in the wheel bearings isn't going to solve any issue. Moving the antenna to the mirror has taken a lot of the AC noise out of the radio and I can hear a lot more and a lot better today.

I think I'm going to first try the advice someone else posted about trying to extend the coils upward. I guess I'll break down and buy a shaft...if I can get this to work on the mirror I think I might be happier. I'm pretty sure however, that I'll still have a better transmit and receive up on the roof but I want to be sure before I pop that hole in there. It's hard to do anything during the week because I never know when I'm going to be called back to work and I hate to rush when I start something.

gewecke

Banned
Here's something to think about. Since you can not seem to tune the antenna to an acceptable swr,have you considered using an antenna tuner to provide a better match between the radio and antenna?
This has been done for years in a variety of mobile installations where there are fiberglass components not allowing a solid mount.
Rather than destroying the p.a.in your radio,try providing it with a "tuned" load? Someone also suggested a marine antenna that doesn't require a ground plane.
Here is a source for some ideas. Good luck! www.mfjenterprises.com or www.ldgelectronics.com
Both of these sites offer some quality hf tuners.
N9ZAS.

Last edited:

DX949

Banned
Here's something to think about. Since you can not seem to tune the antenna to an acceptable swr,have you considered using an antenna tuner to provide a better match between the radio and antenna?
This has been done for years in a variety of mobile installations where there are fiberglass components not allowing a solid mount.
Rather than destroying the p.a.in your radio,try providing it with a "tuned" load? Someone also suggested a marine antenna that doesn't require a ground plane.
Here is a source for some ideas. Good luck! www.mfjenterprises.com or www.ldgelectronics.com
Both of these sites offer some quality hf tuners.
N9ZAS.
Holy cow N9ZAS ! I'm surprise your not telling him to tie a rope around his CB radio stuff and telling him to use it as a boat anchor ! But all kidding aside keep up the good work, Sorry i couldn't resist......I'm bad.lol

N

N_Jay

Post 14? ;);)

gewecke

Banned
Holy cow N9ZAS ! I'm surprise your not telling him to tie a rope around his CB radio stuff and telling him to use it as a boat anchor ! But all kidding aside keep up the good work, Sorry i couldn't resist......I'm bad.lol

Well,if he wasn't a ham...hmmmmm?
And NJAY,yeah I missed that thread,oops!
N9ZAS.

DirtyLarry

Modern day CBs are too small for boat anchors, however, they do make good door stops! :) (j/k)

gewecke

Banned
Modern day CBs are too small for boat anchors, however, they do make good door stops! :) (j/k)

Well see,whatcha gotta do is chain a buncha dem dere radios togedda an throw em' oerboard!!

Status
Not open for further replies.