Happy with cheap Amazon antenna

KD7QLU

I'm very happy with my Whistler WS1010 but could tell that there was more noise on it when receiving compared to my BC125AT. I swapped the stock Whistler antenna with my BC125AT antenna and found that it noticeably improved reception. Not wanting to spend a bunch of money on a new antenna for the WS1010 I bought this 2 pack of antennas from Amazon for $15.99. This antenna made a noticeable difference, putting reception on par with my 125AT. I then checked the original Whistler antenna on my 125AT's signal strength meter and saw it was only getting 2 bars. Then I swapped on the Amazon antenna and the strength meter went to max bars. Very happy with these inexpensive antennas.
Screenshot 2023-08-01 8.43.42 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-01 8.44.07 PM.png

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I'm very happy with my Whistler WS1010 but could tell that there was more noise on it when receiving compared to my BC125AT.

What type of noise were you getting? Since the GRE based scanners were really sensitive on VHF, I wonder if you were getting desense from nearby signals. If so, turning on the attenuator might have cleared things up.

KD7QLU

What type of noise were you getting? Since the GRE based scanners were really sensitive on VHF, I wonder if you were getting desense from nearby signals. If so, turning on the attenuator might have cleared things up.
Just background hiss which was louder with the stock antenna than any of my other antennas.

Rooies75

I’ve used some inexpensive antennas on handhelds in the past on units that we use when out on the trail and they seems to be doing well. Generally the antennas take quite a beating outdoors so the cheap stuff works out better when changing regularly.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Ordered them and they just arrived. I have to say not a “WOW” factor for airband but it is labeled 136-174 so I don’t expect much in the 116-134 airband. Tried them on my 125at and psr-500 and bcd436hp. I’m doing a civil airband search on the 125at and it is very quiet. I live 5 miles from KLAS. Not picking up ATIS? If it works for some great news. Not so much for me. I’ll try the VNA on my days off.