• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help needed with Programming ASTRO Spectra

MatthiasTHM

Premium Subscriber
Hello! I am having troubles being able to program my Motorola ASTRO Spectra high power radio.

I had bought the necessary equipment for the radio. When I have it connected and powered to read the codeplug, the CPS software says it cannot communicate with the radio. I looked at the RIB box and it is not flashing the data light. My computer is a Windows 7 64-bit system.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

mbnv992

That’s your problem right there. You need a 32BIT system in order to program something that old.

My programming laptop is an old Thinkpad T61 with Windows Vista and it’s 32 bit. Does my xts5000, 3000, MTS2000, etc etc just fine.

mbnv992

I guess I misspoke. The xts5000 is a newer radio and therefore definitely can be programmed with a 64bit system. I was just lumping all the radios that I personally program with my programming laptop.

But yep - anything older than an xts5000, ( Astro Spectra, MTS2000, XTS3000 etc ) you’ll need a 32bit windows computer for.

Older radios ( MT1000, Saber, etc ) your talking green screen DOS.

MatthiasTHM

Premium Subscriber
Okay. If I format my laptop to a 32-bit if possible, will I still be able to run ASTRO25 CPS Portable and Mobile?

brndnstffrd

Okay. If I format my laptop to a 32-bit if possible, will I still be able to run ASTRO25 CPS Portable and Mobile?
For clarification, Astro25 will work on 64 and 32 bit systems.
An Astro Spectra doesn't use Astro25, it uses regular Astro Mobile software. This will only run on 32 bit*.

*Technically it will run on a 64 bit machine, if you use a virtual machine running Windows XP, which is how I have my CF-30 Toughbook set up. Also of note, the software wull run on a 64 bit machine, but it wont be able to write to the radio. I have used 64 bit machines for editing codeplugs that I already had saved, then switch to an old 32 bit to read/write to the actual radio.

MatthiasTHM

Premium Subscriber
For clarification, Astro25 will work on 64 and 32 bit systems.
An Astro Spectra doesn't use Astro25, it uses regular Astro Mobile software. This will only run on 32 bit*.

*Technically it will run on a 64 bit machine, if you use a virtual machine running Windows XP, which is how I have my CF-30 Toughbook set up. Also of note, the software wull run on a 64 bit machine, but it wont be able to write to the radio. I have used 64 bit machines for editing codeplugs that I already had saved, then switch to an old 32 bit to read/write to the actual radio.
Would you know how to set up the Virtue Machine? I downloaded a Windows XP mode and the Virtue PC files, but I’m not sure how to set it up.

brndnstffrd

How far have you gotten with setting this up? Windows XP mode should be pretty straightforward, just run the installer.

The only real hang-up I encountered was that initially my ports weren't working when using XP mode. Once I figured out that you need to point the virtual Windows XP ports towards whichever actual physical ports you want them to point to I was all set.