Help programming bcd436hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebruun

I also need any help available for programming my bcd436hp . But can I program manually as I don't have a computer/laptop at this time., my main issue is trying to program the p25 trunking system..

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
you can use the zip code feature
The zip code method (using location, range, and specifying service types) can be used, but it's only going to be as good as the database version in the scanner.
I also need any help available for programming my bcd436hp . But can I program manually as I don't have a computer/laptop at this time., my main issue is trying to program the p25 trunking system..
Did you just receive the scanner, new from an online dealer? Or was it a previously owned scanner, from another individual?

If you just received it, whether new, or not, the database may be well out of date. If that's the case, using your location may not include what is actually in your area.

Press the Menu key (that's the lower key on the left side of the scanner).
From the menu, select the menu line to 'Manage Full Database' (Press the E (enter) key to select)
1652656041030.png

At the next sub-menu, select Information
1652656140168.png

The next screen will show the date that the database in your scanner was created,
1652656203928.png

Mine was updated last week, If you see a date months, or even years, ago, you're going to miss a lot of what might be available. Even though you, yourself, do not currently have a PC, see if someone you know will install Sentinel, and help you update the database. Then, they can connect your scanner to their PC & send the latest database version to your scanner. There is no charge for installing Sentinel, and once they help you get updated, then they can uninstall Sentinel if they desire to do so. Long term, you would be better off with your own PC, laptop or desktop. As long as it can connect to the internet, you don't need the latest, greatest, fastest PC. Sentinel does not require a lot of system resources such as memory RAM or a super fast processor.

KD7DDC

Premium Subscriber
I have a 436HP and the software. What area are you in? What type of things are you wanting to hear? These scanners have a unique way of organizing favorites lists. You don't just have a single numbered list. You break everything down into groups. Knowing what you want in each of these is important. Below is an image of one of the lists in my scanner:

1652877612100.png

This is organized as follows, I add the number to my groups to remember what the quick key is to turn it off and on.:
The first level "1-Salt Lake City" is the Favorites list.
Second level "1.1 SLC Police" is called the System; This can be a trunk system, conventional, and can have multiple and duplicate systems.
Third level "1.1.1 SLC PD Dispatch" are the departments where the talkgroups reside and can be a mix of different agencies.

The final part is the listing of the talkgroups themselves:
1652878032002.png

This will have all the details for each talkgroup or conventional frequecy you want to listen to. There arte options for a variety of things. These are alerts, hold times, attenuatin, etc.

I guess my main point is before you even need the software to program it would be a good idea to start writing how you would want to organize and label everything. Knowing that ahead of time will really make programming a lot easier.

Use the RR database since your scanner may be out of date as said. Find everything you would want to hear, then organize them into the groups explained above. I'd be glad to help and give advice and possibly meetup to load it onto the scanner once you have a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.