Help with General class question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkletron

Can someone help me understand why the answer I selected is not correct...?

watts.png

First I determined the current using Ohm's law:

E = IR
I = E / R
I = 400VDC / 800R = 0.5A

Then the power:

P = IE
P = 0.5A x 400VDC = 200W

Last edited:

LtDoc

Nope, I can't explain why your answer was wrong. Using (I^2)R yields 200 watts, like the W=IE equation. What are they asking for if not the answer to one of those formula?
Is this a multi-part question?
- 'Doc

Sparkletron

According to the practice test at QRZ, the correct answer is: 32000W. I have a feeling it's just a mistake with their testing application. The exact question is: G5B03.

WA3RDF

Premium Subscriber
Your answer is correct. I just tried it on QRZ and it showed the right answer. Maybe it was a glitch in the program.

Sparkletron

Thanks for responding. Good thing this was an answer I was confident in. With some of these questions, I'll accept anything they tell me ;-)

kc4jgc

Good thinking!

Since we're allowed up to 1500 watts pep on most bands, it wouldn't seem logical that the correct answer would be a power level we would not legally be able to operate. I would have eliminated that one before doing any math.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
When I ran the practice questions on the TECH class using the Technician License Maunal published by ARRL, I also found a few questions where I thought there was a bug, either in the Software, OR in in the actual database regarding the "correct" answer. I can't remember which ones they were now, but one did involve a Resistance and/or power calc, That I remember. Also, there was a question where I think it flagged the incorrect answer as correct on a decibel gain question, or something like that...

Not too many ways to screw up V=IR and P=VI.

My money is on a glitch. ... (??)

Status
Not open for further replies.