Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugene

I am in Atlanta at a conference and have a PRO-96 scanner. I have programmed in the Atlanta P-25 TRS and hear nothing!! The scanner is picking up the data channel fine I am hearing no signal. I am not even hearing un-decoded transmissions.....just silence. I even programmed in the non-data channels and can hear raw data stream on them after programming but when I go to motorola p-25 on the scanner.....nada. Anybody got any ideas. Thanks in advance.
Eugene KG4AVE

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Did you hand program it or software program it? You need to ensure you have it set as a Type II P25 system for it to decode. When you sit on the control channel, it should, if programmed correctly, flash between the frequency and TG's. If not, it's not programmed correctly.

Eugene

I did program it with WIN-96......But I can't remember if I checked the Type ll P25, It says in the manual that it defaults to Type ll but theres more to it obviously. Can it be done by hand as the manual is no help, Thanks,
Eugene KG4AVE

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
What decoding % are you getting when manually holding on the data channel? I tried DeKalb, Atlanta, Gwinnett and Hall with my PRO-96 w/CPU v1.3 and, with plenty of signal strength, never got above 10% decoding. My PRO-96 was a bust on these newer 9600bps simulcast systems.

Eugene

You know what Brian......you're exactly right.....I'm getting 00-10%......This PRO96 just doesn't cut it. I'm about ready to chuck it and get a new GRE digital,,,,,I hear they work great. Thanks for the reply.
Eugene KG4AVE

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I've received reports that some PRO-96s do a better job on 9600bps simulcast systems, and I suspect that those are radios with newer revs of CPU, like a v1.5. I even read somewhere that the DSP processor in the PRO-106 is the same as in the PRO-96, but the ones I have certainly aren't equivalent in terms of their performance.

As I understand, upgrading the CPU is a hardware replacement that means a trip to RS Service. Assuming the parts are even available, which is difficult to discern, the cost is not reasonable in my opinion (more than $150). I agree that you're better off with a newer digital scanner, like a PRO-106 if you can find it on sale.

My PRO-96 still does great with P25 conventional and P25 talkgroups on a 3600bps system, the non-CQPSK systems. So I'm not chucking mine just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.