• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help

Skycraft412

New comer here, been using Motorola xrp 4550, 5000, 5550e, etc. I've had some individuals using the talk around feature in a malicious manner for quite sometime.
How can I pin point what radios are using the talk around channel. We have a set up where we have 5 channels then an additional set of channels associated with a talk around channel, based off each division of ours. How can I find out what radios(each has a 4 digit number associated with it) ar using the TA channel? Also if let's say 7 different guys are using it saying things on the TA channel can our base station or control units see who is using it and hear what they are saying over it?

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Set up a logging recorder on each channel that records all of the data. Probably $25-40k depending on complexity of system. If it were me with zero budget, I would setup a mobile radio with external antenna and scan all of the channels. Then, put a camera on the screen of the mobile and pipe the audio into the camera. Then, wait for folks to complain. TT

nhfdcadet

GCT-1
Premium Subscriber
if you're using a TRBO channel, the receiving radio should display the ID from where the transmission originated. If you're using analog, you could program MDC IDs into each radio, or may already have them I don't know how you're set up, but if each radio has a unique ID programmed, it will display when they talk

Skycraft412

Set up a logging recorder on each channel that records all of the data. Probably $25-40k depending on complexity of system. If it were me with zero budget, I would setup a mobile radio with external antenna and scan all of the channels. Then, put a camera on the screen of the mobile and pipe the audio into the camera. Then, wait for folks to complain. TT
Horrifying part not complaining they are doing, it's much worse the entire time I'm at work behind the wheel. The way the radios are positioned in each vehicle, they are mounted behind the drivers head so we can't monitor(see screen) while driving. Our radios are integrated all togther with our Clever Devices(GPS, announcing subsystem, etc), even our March Networks cameras. We have external speakers that these devices all can utilize mounted behind our seats. I began long ago going into the notifications/calls/missed calls/incoming calls , seen units that where listed. There was no way to determine if any of them where making a private call to my radio specifically. Many on the list where radio calls from other drivers contacting traffic yet now it makes sense that even tho I heard them calling out to traffic control they still could of been using the talk around or programmed a group including traffic and myself. When this was occurring every single day I downloaded manuals to better understand what was going on. It's how I came to check the notifications. I'm not 100%radio save, I have a good understanding but unlike traffic who's job it is and even dispatchers or instructors that have been trained to use, obviously trained to use in a manner maliciously also, I'd figured I'd turn hear to experts for help on how to catch whonit is exactly. I feel by body language and behavior when outside the vehicle I have a good grasp who's been involved yet. Our traffic control likes to pick and choose who they like and don't like if you know what I'm saying, allowing those they like to pull things most would never without the assistance of. I've even tried unplugging the radio to understand if it's coming from another device like Clever Device or March Networks cameras. Both capable of covert listening and I'm sure two way communication also now that wifi is accessible. Now that wifi is accessible they maybe using an app associated with Clever or March Networks cameras, using a vpn along with to hide and cover up. Before when I unplugged the radio it had continued. I feel there is more then one at play here device and perp, rather a group using radio and another piece of technology at the same time. There's no way to check over the entire vehicle for a hidden radio transmitter that anyone could place at any time. 50+ out of 100+ vehicles packed into a small garage most day and night. If it's the radio their using hopefully someone here can help me pin point who. Back when I said I took Pic of the notifications listed in the "calls" some of the 4 digit unit numbers weren't even from our garage yet another division. Some also could of been units in supervisors trucks, dispatchers desks, even shifter shack! So it's not easy to pin point who is using the talk around or making private calls. At times I been on shift and never heard a transmission from anyone until I picked up n tried calling to traffic about a detour. Someone mumbled as if to awnser me twice. I ended up stuck over it. Got back to garage asked a manager who was filling in for a dispatcher if she heard me calling in moments ago she stated no I did not hear anything from you. I told her we'll someone awnsered me as I called in and all shift I did not hear a single transmission. Nothing was done about it. They'll get away with it by telling us put a coach card on it. We'll that same night I did but I took the same bus back out 24mins later. Thinking something was up with radio. After I went back out it worked fine! I need help on how to pin point. I asked for help on this but certain ppl seem to be blowing me off, maybe they're involved it's why they will not do nothing. Now I been unplugging the handset so they can't eavesdropping. Someone keeps setting off an audible alarm nonstop while I'm driving as to harass. Also keep hearing someone press the ptt button constantly, I mean hours on end their doing this. How can I find out who. I will post a camera right on radio now, but is their anything else I can do. Any advice would be appreciated been going on so long without help I can't explain how frustrated and harassed it feels.

One of biggest problems within, many retired and left, mass migration all at once. Now others where placed in their shoes that are using technology not as it was intended to be. Just yesterday the 1st half of my shift went on the entire time, nonstop. Coming back at lunch some clues were revealed to who may been involved. Very suspicious behavior as I was pulling in. Person was out female this time, and outside the building as I'm pulling in as to avoid any face to face contact with me by going to her car or towards I should say...

Also some of these calls that keep coming into my radio daily some have badges by them while others it's just 4 digit unit number. I'm assuming the ones with just 4 digit unit are other drivers where the gold badge is a supervisor or dispatcher base or a supervisor truck radio possible. I've tried posting pics but they can't be uploaded, too large. What are the badges? I can't find meaning in manuals I downloaded online.