SDS100/SDS200: Finally got my sds100 need some guidance on programming it.

dmfalk

does the sds100 still play p25 and stuff while in waterfall mode? i have it on a control channel but i'm not hearing anything at all. i can hear noaa if i tune to it.

or is the waterfall feature just to see signals but not hear them? sorry for the dumb questions
It will not follow trunking in waterfall mode, but it will decode individual digital and analogue channels. If the waterfall window is greater than a certain bandwidth (or "span") of 2.88 MHz, you have to hit "Hold" to hear audio. If less than that, it'll let you hear the audio automatically. (Also, squelch is normally set to 2.)

Also, the only digital signals it'll decode are those it understands, including the modes you bought the keys for.

And, for what it's worth, there are conventional (non-trunked) P25, DMR and NXDN signals out there. (The only trunked signals it should understand in waterfall mode should be OFT (one-frequency trunked) or individual audio frequencies in a trunked system.)

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
It will not follow trunking in waterfall mode, but it will decode individual digital and analogue channels. If the waterfall window is greater than a certain bandwidth (or "span") of 2.88 MHz, you have to hit "Hold" to hear audio. If less than that, it'll let you hear the audio automatically. (Also, squelch is normally set to 2.)

Also, the only digital signals it'll decode are those it understands, including the modes you bought the keys for.

And, for what it's worth, there are conventional (non-trunked) P25, DMR and NXDN signals out there. (The only trunked signals it should understand in waterfall mode should be OFT (one-frequency trunked) or individual audio frequencies in a trunked system.)
Ok i was wondering because i was playing around with it and i put it and sdrtrunk on the same P25 trunked control channel and sdrtrunk picked up traffic but the sds100 did not. Thanks for clearing that up it helps alot

dmfalk

Ok i was wondering because i was playing around with it and i put it and sdrtrunk on the same P25 trunked control channel and sdrtrunk picked up traffic but the sds100 did not. Thanks for clearing that up it helps alot
There are ways for the SDS100 to follow trunking systems, but not in waterfall mode. As I've said before, the waterfall mode isn't essential, but it can be useful, even fun, and a great way to explore signals, especially when they're not in the database.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
There are ways for the SDS100 to follow trunking systems, but not in waterfall mode. As I've said before, the waterfall mode isn't essential, but it can be useful, even fun, and a great way to explore signals, especially when they're not in the database.
yes i agree i see myself using it if i'm mobile and traveling in a place i'v never been. Thanks

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
A lot quicker and easier to set up custom searches in Sentinel and run them on the scanner.

View attachment 170886
oh ok awesome i wasn't aware of this. so let me make sure i totally understand whats goin on here. you set up 9 custom favorite lists? and for each one u set it to search a specific swath of frequencies so you can just search that swath of frequencies to see if anything is active on them. is that right ?

And could i use the same numbers you have or does that vary per location ?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You can set up to 10, 0 thru 9 with freq range, step size modulation etc and pick 1 or all and it scans. You can even initiate a recorded session for playback at a later date.