SDS100/SDS200: Here We Go Again: Another SDS100 repair

JvdK

I believe I can say that they (well, the portable) uses AA cells. It's not an SDS100 replacement.

And yes, a portable and a base/mobile. I don't think that is a secret either since that's the typical MO of Uniden releases.
That’s good news, AA cells are well proven and less expensive than battery packs. IMHO, just buy a double set of Eneloop cells, a good smart charger and you’ll never have a battery problem 😁

Just a question regarding these two new models; do you know if they are scheduled for Europe too?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I have no info about non-NA markets, but I will say they would be affected by the same supply chain issues since they are all made in one factory.

Omanzz

Premium Subscriber
I was specifically responding to the SDS 100, title of this thread. Tell me the serial numbers where the csj problem is resolved.. I'll be waiting for that answer. It's only natural as I would not want to buy a radio new or used, with a serial number before that one.
Did you ever get a answer?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Did you ever get a answer?
I had to go back and look at this thread and I must say at this point for me after being very familiar with the radio since it was introduced, this was a period of major frustration for me.

Some of my post here were not some of my better moments but I believe very cathartic for me to be
able to say what was on my mind regarding this topic.

Other post I thought I was well represented.

I think a good answer to your question is post #66. Keep in mind my quote that you have quoted here was a rhetorical and sarcastic question, not meant to be actually answered😉

Also refer to post #96 and #100, a more cordial meeting of the minds as a good way to say it.

I don't see myself ever getting embedded in another discussion of this topic but it is important that if anyone has a new production unit and they encounter csj it's important to post it and bring it to the attention of the UPM.

My 100 that I'm using now was one of the first 400 units off the line in 2018. Although I have had swollen batteries, a battery clip that disintegrated in my hand when I picked up the radio, and the rotary knob problem, I have yet to have csj which may or may not be a ticking time bomb on my radio. I would have to pay to get it fixed.

I always felt that this problem should have been a Uniden repair campaign where if you encountered the problem whether your radio was out of warranty or not it would be fixed for free.

Thanks for your question, this is an old thread.. Bob.

Omanzz

Premium Subscriber
I had to go back and look at this thread and I must say at this point for me after being very familiar with the radio since it was introduced, this was a period of major frustration for me.

Some of my post here were not some of my better moments but I believe very cathartic for me to be
able to say what was on my mind regarding this topic.

Other post I thought I was well represented.

I think a good answer to your question is post #66. Keep in mind my quote that you have quoted here was a rhetorical and sarcastic question, not meant to be actually answered😉

Also refer to post #96 and #100, a more cordial meeting of the minds as a good way to say it.

I don't see myself ever getting embedded in another discussion of this topic but it is important that if anyone has a new production unit and they encounter csj it's important to post it and bring it to the attention of the UPM.

My 100 that I'm using now was one of the first 400 units off the line in 2018. Although I have had swollen batteries, a battery clip that disintegrated in my hand when I picked up the radio, and the rotary knob problem, I have yet to have csj which may or may not be a ticking time bomb on my radio. I would have to pay to get it fixed.

I always felt that this problem should have been a Uniden repair campaign where if you encountered the problem whether your radio was out of warranty or not it would be fixed for free.

Thanks for your question, this is an old thread.. Bob.
Thanks again Omanzz aka Doug

garys

Premium Subscriber
I bought my SDS100 in November 2019 because a local store known for premium prices had a super deal for on line purchases. It was not SDS specific and actually I think I snuck it by them. ;)

But, I digress. I have two of the big batteries and have had no problems. I pre emptively replaced the battery latch and have neither scroll wheel nor CSJ issues as of yet.

Omanzz

Premium Subscriber
Keep your fingers crossed 🤞 thats the only thing that stopping me from taking the leap lol
Thanks Doug
PS I'm in Western Mass, How you doing neighbor?

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I bought my SDS100 in November 2019 because a local store known for premium prices had a super deal for on line purchases. It was not SDS specific and actually I think I snuck it by them. ;)

But, I digress. I have two of the big batteries and have had no problems. I pre emptively replaced the battery latch and have neither scroll wheel nor CSJ issues as of yet.
Same here... Bought my 100 in September of 2019...
I have two battery's and the external charger... No battery swelling issues... Those batts are almost four years old now and going strong...
No CSJ issues... Still has the original battery cover latch too...

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
5+ year old SDS100 owner here (6/2018), 2 original batteries only (1 small original, 1 large sent free a few months after purchase, both charged in the scanner only), 1 belt clip cracked (replaced), stock antenna only, no Cold Solder Joint issue. Scanner is in car or in pocket, has been taken to Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Arizona, and has worked great on unencrypted systems in all states.

swatpup102

Premium Subscriber
Of all the things I read about the SDS100, I'd had mine in harsh environments both hot and cold, flung around in a backpack, fell off a car roof a few times.....it's like a tank that keeps on going! Not one single problem in two years of ownership.