Home Patrol and Loudoun

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
Can the Home Patrol be programmed to recive Loudoun Co. Sheriff's dispatch. I understand that one other brand/model scanner can, although not perfect but apparently works?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Can the Home Patrol be programmed to recive Loudoun Co. Sheriff's dispatch. I understand that one other brand/model scanner can, although not perfect but apparently works?

If you are going to buy a new scanner and want to monitor Loudoun, get a GRE PSR-800. It works very well. not sure where you got that it didn't work perfectly. Only issue is with the multiple sites but that's more of a location and antenna issue. I use mine everyday at work and it sounds great and I hear everything but encrypted traffic.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Totally agree with everything Mike writes. The PRS 800 is a great little radio. Like my 996XT, the HP 1 may receive some Loudoun traffic since there are still some FDMA radios is use but it is very sporadic and it will drive you nuts (as least it did to me). As far as reception goes, you may want to upgrade to a better digital antenna however even with the rubber duck that comes with the unit, I have been able to monitor Loudoun traffic in places like Warrenton and Marshall in Fauquier County.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Totally agree with everything Mike writes. The PRS 800 is a great little radio. Like my 996XT, the HP 1 may receive some Loudoun traffic since there are still some FDMA radios is use but it is very sporadic and it will drive you nuts (as least it did to me). As far as reception goes, you may want to upgrade to a better digital antenna however even with the rubber duck that comes with the unit, I have been able to monitor Loudoun traffic in places like Warrenton and Marshall in Fauquier County.

Are you listening to FDMA Loudoun on the Home Patrol? How did you program it? I have entered it manually as a P25 system in my Favorites, but the bandplan is empty do I need to enter a band plan?

brownlab

Are you listening to FDMA Loudoun on the Home Patrol? How did you program it? I have entered it manually as a P25 system in my Favorites, but the bandplan is empty do I need to enter a band plan?

No, I do not have a Home Patrol (yet), I am using my Uniden 996XT. I can send you the program in Freescan that Mike sent me last year. I am not sure how you manually program an HP1 but maybe you can use some of the settings he sent me. I think I still have your email if not, I will send you a PM.

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
Do the new gre 800"s come with the data pre programmed in for the new Loudoun county system?
If not can it be upgraded with a download? Or do I have to add freq's and such manually?
Sorry for all of the questions, I just didn't want to have to try and do a bunch of fancy stuff to get it to work.
I have the previous generation Radio Shack digitals made by GRE, but I guess they won't get it done? And I'm not quite sure about the Home Patrol and the link? I guess it can't do it? I'm not that savy to all the tech stuff sorry. Thanks

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Do the new gre 800"s come with the data pre programmed in for the new Loudoun county system?<br />
If not can it be upgraded with a download? Or do I have to add freq's and such manually?<br />
Sorry for all of the questions, I just didn't want to have to try and do a bunch of fancy stuff to get it to work.<br />
I have the previous generation Radio Shack digitals made by GRE, but I guess they won't get it done? And I'm not quite sure about the Home Patrol and the link? I guess it can't do it? I'm not that savy to all the tech stuff sorry. Thanks

You want to look at the specs for that scanner. Yes to both questions.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
I know that my previous radio shack scanners were made by gre. I wonder if they now have the psr 800 using thier name and if it has the same capabilities? I have a RS gift card that would pay for most of it there. Thanks

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I know that my previous radio shack scanners were made by gre. I wonder if they now have the psr 800 using thier name and if it has the same capabilities? I have a RS gift card that would pay for most of it there. Thanks

That would be the Radio Shack Pro-18. Basically the same but less features than the 800.

Features found on the GRE PSR-800 not found on the Pro-18

Recording / playback
200 scan lists (PRO-18 has 100 play lists)
Tri-color alert LED
Discriminator output
V-Scanner II
Scan Sets
Clock display while "off" (and connected to external power)
Auto power-on ("alarm clock")
"Extra" audio alert tones (PRO-18 has the 7 from PSR-500; PSR-800 has 8 more)
Power-on password

Pro-18 - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
But look at their 'standard shipping' cost of $49.62. LOL

Might as well buy it from one of the places known to be reputable and with good support.

I think this is the cheapest place.
The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source! has it for $409.95 + $9.95 flat rate shipping.

What? That's not a good shipping cost!?? :). I didn't actually go to the site.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

brownlab

FYI, The RS in Berryville VA is the only store where I have found the PRO 18 in Northern VA (I saw it-LOL) but that was a couple of weeks ago. The Warrenton RS was totally sold out of all PRO digital scanners today along with the the Uniden HP1 which they recently started stocking. The guy told me that he has already pre-sold most of the next shipment. Scanners appear to be a hot item this year

Status
Not open for further replies.