• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Homemade XG-100P Cables on Ebay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teotwaki

I saw these on Ebay and am wondering if anyone has bought one and beat on it for a while. OEM cables are severely overpriced but does this offering deserve it's price of $89 ? I know nothing about the costs to invest in printing these things, sourcing the internal parts and so on. However, are the pins spring loaded and can the body take the strain of being clamped down and not crack after repeated use?

It consists of a "3D printed" connector body with a paper printer type of USB socket and an ordinary USB printer cable to connect to your computer. The connector head is very rough looking and has an additional coat of some kind of goo-looking plastic over the body, maybe to keep it from collapsing?.

Ebay link

Screenshot 2023-10-08 063138.png
Screenshot 2023-10-08 063205.png

Screenshot 2023-10-08 063526.png

bjohnson9614

Premium Subscriber
I bought one of these a several months ago when I got an XG. The thing feels heavy and fits on pretty well. The thumb screw is captive and holds it tight. I've used it many times and I can't see any major signs of wear. The pins are spring loaded.
The 3d printed casing feels like it was printed with a high infill/wall thickness. I deal with 3D printing for my job, and I've tried to source parts vs printing them ourselves. It gets expensive either paying a company like Xometry or buying your own printer. I will say, the casing on mine looks better than the photos you shared. That extra "coating" on the outside seems to be holding the two halves together.

Teotwaki

I bought one of these a several months ago when I got an XG. The thing feels heavy and fits on pretty well. The thumb screw is captive and holds it tight. I've used it many times and I can't see any major signs of wear. The pins are spring loaded.
The 3d printed casing feels like it was printed with a high infill/wall thickness. I deal with 3D printing for my job, and I've tried to source parts vs printing them ourselves. It gets expensive either paying a company like Xometry or buying your own printer. I will say, the casing on mine looks better than the photos you shared. That extra "coating" on the outside seems to be holding the two halves together.
Thanks! The pix are straight off of Ebay

nikronzo

I saw these on Ebay and am wondering if anyone has bought one and beat on it for a while. OEM cables are severely overpriced but does this offering deserve it's price of $89 ? I know nothing about the costs to invest in printing these things, sourcing the internal parts and so on. However, are the pins spring loaded and can the body take the strain of being clamped down and not crack after repeated use?

It consists of a "3D printed" connector body with a paper printer type of USB socket and an ordinary USB printer cable to connect to your computer. The connector head is very rough looking and has an additional coat of some kind of goo-looking plastic over the body, maybe to keep it from collapsing?.

Ebay link

View attachment 149340
View attachment 149341

View attachment 149342
Don't bite the hand that feeds you...

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
Would this cable work with the XG-75?
No - this will only work for the XG-100p and newer radios. There is a serial cable for the XG-75 that's rather expensive, part number: CA-023407-001. I have one of these and it arrived looking much nicer than the pictures and so far works perfectly.

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
Works great , I have one. You wont be disappointed
Totally agree - whomever made these did a really nice job and it works perfectly. In reality, this is really a backup plan for Bluetooth programming so it won't be used as much as a legacy serial cable would.

TDR-94

You can make your own, for less, using a modified quick disconnect audio adapter and a usb cable with a hirose connector. And it wouldn't look like melted cheese. Sorry, but I just couldn't have that hanging off my radio.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
You can make your own, for less, using a modified quick disconnect audio adapter and a usb cable with a hirose connector. And it wouldn't look like melted cheese. Sorry, but I just couldn't have that hanging off my radio.
I typically don't wear around my radio with the programming cable still attached either...

TDR-94

I typically don't wear around my radio with the programming cable still attached either...
I keep the QDA's attached to all my XG-100P's. That way I can just connect and disconnect the cable when need. It saves time from having to screw and unscrew the programming cable and keeps the UDC covered. Plus it also helps prevent wear and tear on the UDC connector itself and the housing.

And.... it doesn't look like something squeezed out of a playdough machine.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
So your alternative is to buy a $35-$50 Hirose adapter, modify it from audio to data lines, and then buy a USB cable and hack a Hirose onto the end of it?

You can do that if you want but $90 to have essentially the same "hackery" done for you is money well spent considering you're up to $70 deep and half an hour out of your life for your "for less" mentality. Whatever to save a buck I guess...

prcguy

So your alternative is to buy a $35-$50 Hirose adapter, modify it from audio to data lines, and then buy a USB cable and hack a Hirose onto the end of it?

You can do that if you want but $90 to have essentially the same "hackery" done for you is money well spent considering you're up to $70 deep and half an hour out of your life for your "for less" mentality. Whatever to save a buck I guess...
Or you could get the 430-$50 Hirose adapter, move the pins around for programming, loose the Hirose connector and solder a free USB cable to it. Use a grommet or similar at the cable/adapter junction and you would have a good and cheap programming cable you could be proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.