• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Homemade XG-100P Cables on Ebay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikronzo

I don't get what the issue is here, everyone that wants to build their own programming cable can feel free to do so! Everyone who wants to buy that USB cable on ebay and based on what folks are saying, seem relatively happy, feel free to do so! Those who want to buy a $225 OEM cable from harris should also feel welcome to do so. What is productive about this thread besides a bunch of people complaining and whining per usual here on RR...

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
I don't get what the issue is here, everyone that wants to build their own programming cable can feel free to do so! Everyone who wants to buy that USB cable on ebay and based on what folks are saying, seem relatively happy, feel free to do so! Those who want to buy a $225 OEM cable from harris should also feel welcome to do so. What is productive about this thread besides a bunch of people complaining and whining per usual here on RR...
Wish I could tell you. The ham mentality is strong in these posts recently. "You can do it yourself for cheaper" but spend said time throwing shade at others instead of doing it themselves. The fact remains that a market exists for such a product BECAUSE people aren't "just doing it themselves". Same can be said for almost every other ham product out there that can be DIYed with a soldering iron and a few bucks in cables and terminations but instead I see mountains of CAT cables, coax, etc

prcguy

The issue I see is the retail price of the OEM cable is a bit much for what you get. The looks of the aftermarket eBay adapter are, well, not pretty but at least they seem to work. The other option is waiting for a used cable on eBay to show up for a good price, which is what I did and another friend just did today. Its not that we are cheap, I can afford just about anything I want but I want the best and if its available for a friendly price all the better.

TDR-94

Wish I could tell you. The ham mentality is strong in these posts recently. "You can do it yourself for cheaper" but spend said time throwing shade at others instead of doing it themselves. The fact remains that a market exists for such a product BECAUSE people aren't "just doing it themselves". Same can be said for almost every other ham product out there that can be DIYed with a soldering iron and a few bucks in cables and terminations but instead I see mountains of CAT cables, coax, etc
No need to go on a Hamophobic rant.
So your alternative is to buy a $35-$50 Hirose adapter, modify it from audio to data lines, and then buy a USB cable and hack a Hirose onto the end of it?

You can do that if you want but $90 to have essentially the same "hackery" done for you is money well spent considering you're up to $70 deep and half an hour out of your life for your "for less" mentality. Whatever to save a buck I guess...
I'm pointing out that you can put together a better quality side adapter than either the OEM cable or the badly and cheaply printed ebay special. I sold my OEM cable. The OEM cable still had mold release flash all along the connector seam lines. The ones I put together are a better made and more flexible option.

And frankly I'm getting quite the chuckle out of defending such an obviously cheaply made and badly printed adapter for $90+

Is this ebay special yours or a partners? Why are you and nikronzo so interested in defending it?

bjohnson9614

Premium Subscriber
No need to go on a Hamophobic rant.

I'm pointing out that you can put together a better quality side adapter than either the OEM cable or the badly and cheaply printed ebay special. I sold my OEM cable. The OEM cable still had mold release flash all along the connector seam lines. The ones I put together are a better made and more flexible option.

And frankly I'm getting quite the chuckle out of defending such an obviously cheaply made and badly printed adapter for $90+

Is this ebay special yours or a partners? Why are you and nikronzo so interested in defending it?
What leads you to think it's badly made? The several people who have purchased and said the opposite? And cheaply printed? It looks a bit rough in the photo, but it looks like a carbon fiber filament in some of the photos, which has a rougher texture. Mine did not look like that when it arrived. And have you ever tried to get professional 3D prints done?

I'd be interested to see your much better, flexible option. It sounds so great the way you describe it.

TDR-94

What leads you to think it's badly made? The several people who have purchased and said the opposite? And cheaply printed? It looks a bit rough in the photo, but it looks like a carbon fiber filament in some of the photos, which has a rougher texture. Mine did not look like that when it arrived. And have you ever tried to get professional 3D prints done?

I'd be interested to see your much better, flexible option. It sounds so great the way you describe it.
I've purchased several custom printed flip caps for optics. And they weren't printed from a hobbyist site. They were printed by a company that manufactures custom parts.The quality is way above this and even cost less. By flexible option, I'm referring to how you can modify it, not the material it's made out of.

prcguy

I've dealt with high end plastic mfrs and their take is 3D printing is for prototyping and not something you want for end use. A 3D printed product will not have the strength or clean look that another manufacturing process will have. I would show you a 3D printed prototype plastic snap on cover that is now in production except the 3D printed version broke during my testing and I threw it away. The injection molded version is still in production and selling well.

bjohnson9614

Premium Subscriber
I've purchased several custom printed flip caps for optics. And they weren't printed from a hobbyist site. They were printed by a company that manufactures custom parts.The quality is way above this and even cost less. By flexible option, I'm referring to how you can modify it, not the material it's made out of.
Yes, that makes sense that a piece of plastic would cost less plastic plus USB connector, pins, and whatever else is inside, plus a person or machine to solder components.

I understood what you meant by flexible... And if you're capable of making your own things, that's great. It would be awesome if we could all make these types of things for ourselves. I think the fact that people buy this instead shows that not everyone can do that. That's capitalism, isn't it? If you can't do it yourself, you pay someone else to do it.

I've dealt with high end plastic mfrs and their take is 3D printing is for prototyping and not something you want for end use. A 3D printed product will not have the strength or clean look that another manufacturing process will have. I would show you a 3D printed prototype plastic snap on cover that is now in production except the 3D printed version broke during my testing and I threw it away. The injection molded version is still in production and selling well.
Of course this is the case. The injection molding process is going to create a higher quality part that will hold up to the repetitive use, especially with snap components. But as far as I have seen, it's then a case of economies of scale. The molds have to be fabricated. If there's a place out there that will charge you the same for 1 unit as they would for 10,000 units I would love to know. I create marketing miniatures of product for our sales team to bring along and we're always wanting more stock but the cost of an engineer on the payroll already clicking print in the morning, and cleaning supports in the afternoon comes out cheaper every time we look.

Overall, this was a post asking about the quality of a product on ebay. A few people said it was good, worked, and looked better than the photos on the listing. Now we're on the second page of this discussion going back and forth about building something yourself vs buying. And it doesn't seem like either of you bought one. Someone probably just made one and had some spare components left. Other people bought them. I don't see why all this back and forth is really necessary.

Teotwaki

Thanks to the actual users of the product giving their honest feedback: adamr, northstarfire, redbeard, KC6ONR etc.
Your efforts are appreciated.

Nikronzo, You are describing yourself when you complain "What is productive about this thread besides a bunch of people complaining and whining per usual here on RR..."

It was a productive thread until you crapped in it. If you aren't an actual user of the product and have something technical to add why do you even bother to be on RR? I didn't say anything inaccurate about the product and I even reposted the seller's actual pictures. I'm a new owner of a 100P and am here to learn more about it as well as performing research before I buy useful accessories.

Teotwaki

In reality, this is really a backup plan for Bluetooth programming so it won't be used as much as a legacy serial cable would.
I wanted a cable so that when flashing firmware of any type I don't have to worry about bricking the radio if the Bluetooth Eb/No goes to data hell.

Teotwaki

Mine mates more solidly than the Harris factory cable. The Harris cable I could twist side to side and lose USB connection.
Hey Shawn or other users of the cable,

Does the seller provide any sort of written warranty with the cable shipment? That would be good for potential buyers to know. The listing just says they were tested before being sold and buyer pays for return shipping.

Thanks!

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Hey Shawn or other users of the cable,

Does the seller provide any sort of written warranty with the cable shipment? That would be good for potential buyers to know. The listing just says they were tested before being sold and buyer pays for return shipping.

Thanks!
You'd have to message the seller, I'm not sure. Mine has been fine so I haven't had the occasion to find out.

Furthermore I'd like to add to the dialog that when someone take initiative to create something useful in the two-way hobby space that is perhaps more functional (and certainly cheaper) than OEM we should all support those individuals rather than kvetch over appearances. This is how 3D printed things look, take it or leave it.

Recently I bought a new device made by a hobbyist called the KFDmicro which is an all-in-one arduino and interface board for keyloading using the previously released KFD Tool software. It didn't come in an enclosure or include any cables but it's much cheaper than buying a Motorola KVLx000 for doing the same thing. Almost simultaneously the KFDmini was also released, a small form factor Arduino Nano with an attached interface board. Both are worth the buy if you like to experiment with encryption on surplus commercial gear.

Last edited:

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Furthermore I'd like to add to the dialog that when someone take initiative to create something useful in the two-way hobby space that is perhaps more functional (and certainly cheaper) than OEM we should all support those individuals rather than kvetch over appearances. This is how 3D printed things look, take it or leave it.

Recently I bought a new device made by a hobbyist called the KFDmicro which is an all-in-one arduino and interface board for keyloading using the previously released KFD Tool software. It didn't come in an enclosure or include any cables but it's much cheaper than buying a Motorola KVLx000 for doing the same thing. Almost simultaneously the KFDmini was also released, a small form factor Arduino Nano with an attached interface board. Both are worth the buy if you like to experiment with encryption on surplus commercial gear.
I sort of doubt a seller on eBay is going to warranty something he cooked up on his bench and sells on the side, for much more than "it works, you break, you fix". Particularly given how some people treat their gear, just walk around any hamfest or look at a hammy site installation and you will know what I mean.

Is the connector ugly the way it has been presented? You bet. One could hope the seller puts up some more recent photos. Does it work? You bet it does, at about half the going rate for something genuine.

On the keyloading front, the KFD project is robust, supported by the developers, and experimenter hobbyists have been encouraged to try their own builds. That's the fun of open source projects. And those of us who hold Amateur licenses should be doing the same - experimenting, testing limits, exploring, and discovering instead of poo-pooing everything new because it's not old.

Teotwaki

You'd have to message the seller, I'm not sure. Mine has been fine so I haven't had the occasion to find out.

I didn't ever bash the seller or the item. The connector _is_ fugly looking, so what. I asked for feedback from owners and funnyman Nikronzo had to jump in with mixed quotes and a useless comment. He got pushback that further polluted the thread. That's life. Not my fault. What I actually said in the first post is quoted here:
I saw these on Ebay and am wondering if anyone has bought one and beat on it for a while. OEM cables are severely overpriced but does this offering deserve it's price of $89 ? I know nothing about the costs to invest in printing these things, sourcing the internal parts and so on. However, are the pins spring loaded and can the body take the strain of being clamped down and not crack after repeated use?

It consists of a "3D printed" connector body with a paper printer type of USB socket and an ordinary USB printer cable to connect to your computer. The connector head is very rough looking and has an additional coat of some kind of goo-looking plastic over the body, maybe to keep it from collapsing?.

I have some homemade printed enclosures and they are overly delicate and just as fugly so I posted legitimate concerns about the Ebay item.

Hopefully you'll start a new thread somewhere about the KDMini & Micro.....

Status
Not open for further replies.