Honest assesment of BC780

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
on MilAir, please!

the main thing I listen to is milair from 230 to 400. I'm in need of a new scanner, and I need some no BS reports on the milair performance.

Specifically sensitivity in that band, image rejection (I get a lot of pager and VHF air coming through onto UHF air on my 330T), and searching speed. 90% of my time is spent seaching 230-400, so it needs to be able to do this fast.

Any comments?

mancow

Database Admin
The 780 is an outstanding Milair receiver. It seems to be very sensitive across that entire range. I get paging interference on other bands but I haven't had any problems in the Milair ranges.

morfis

No problems with pagers in the milair part of the spectrum but horrible problems from images of several neighbours cordless phones.
Programming is a pain in the backside due to Uniden selling a European model that uses American band-plan/channel steps.
Sensitivity is OK but no where near as good as a Signal R-535, Yupiteru VT225 or Yupiteru MVT7100 on milair.

All radios have plus/minus points. For me the 780 has no plus points on milair that would make me get another to use for that.

Air490

The problem I found with the VT-225 and MVT-7100 was intermod. They were overly sensitive, which made them less usable.

I have found the GRE made scanners tend to be good on milair. They don't scan as fast as the Unidens, but they are a bit more sensitive.

MacombMonitor

I've used the BC780-XLT in the past for MilAir. I've probably owned three, or four though the years. No complaints. However, it's starting to show it's age, and they still command a pretty high price for what they are.

If an alpha display is not a concern, consider the BC898T. It's an excellent MilAir scanner, and has a nice large manual tuning knob. If you use a computer with it, you can still have your alpha display too! I use one currently, and I've been impressed with the results I have monitoring Selfridge Air Base in Michigan.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I have two of them. Works great on all Milair bands (VHF and UHF) and that's no BS!!

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Alpha would be nice for when I'm not in the shack, but only having 500 memories does scare me a little... My 330 I can just fill up with frequencies and not even think about using up all the memories (yet. Only used about 26% so far).

I have a Pro-2045 here which is really nice for mil-air, except for searching when it does 12.5kHz steps, and I can't see a way of forcing 25kHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.