SDS100/SDS200: How to Copy OEM SDS100 SD Card to other SanDisc 32gb SD Cards for multiple spare backups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerialscan

Will appreciate some Three Stooges caveman comprehension level "slowly I turned step by step" instructions or link to YouTube video, if any exist.

How do I copy what was on the OEM SDS100 SD Card, that also had some local programming done to it by the seller, > to a new formatted 32gb card I formatted and am running in the radio now and > to other new 32gb cards I format later, so I have several spares?

My formatted 32gb card is set to scan zip code now and until I figure out how to work the radio, create and edit profiles. I'd like to run what's on that pre-programmed card without damaging the OEM card that seller programming is on.

I'd like to keep multiple spare backup cards, so the OEM card can be kept in a safe place without risking erasure or other damage.

I'm no tech guy, but I tried this below before and it didn't work.

How to Copy an SD Card to Another

How to Copy an SD Card to Another

I only have SanDisk 32gb cards to work with.

The SD Card Formatter and Sentinel are on the Windows 10 PC.

Later I'll have to figure out how to edit and create my profiles and lock out unwanted channels, using the software for the SDS100. If I can drag and drop files from this site, into the SDS100 and modify them, even better, once I get out of the hole of a zero pp balance to purchase a membership.

By chance, I was able to format a SanDisc 32gb SD Card to my SDS100, without receiving the dreaded Initialization errors.

Then I was getting USB low voltage error screens on the SDS100, using a USB socket multiplier connection to the laptop, until I placed the USB cord into the laptop directly to solve that issue.

Thanks for your time and any help

Hit_Factor

You don't need your scanner to do this.

Insert the SD card into a SD card reader on your PC.

If necessary, format it. If using windows to format it un-check the quick format box. Don't change anything else. By un-checking the quick format you don't need the SD card formatter utility.

Launch Sentinel
Go to Scanner menu
Select Clear User Data
Browse to the SD card you want to put a copy of your scanner files on (might have to click display all drives)
Click OK.
Now go to Scanner menu again
Click write to scanner
Browse to your SD card
Click OK

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

If your scanner came programmed by the seller. You need to read the scanner into Sentinel before you do the steps listed above.

Sentinel is the backup for your scanner, and SD card problems are not so prevalent that it needs to be the first thing you address. My SDS100s came with class 4 cards, I upgraded to class 10 just to speed up the boot up and write processes.

I can't really tell where you are at in the process. If you haven't finished programming the scanner, worrying about a backup SD is premature. Using the steps above you can make a SD anytime using Sentinel.

" USB socket multiplier connection to the laptop " that's funny, that's simply called a USB hub. It sounds like it is under powered, possibly not even powered. My guess is it's pretty old. If you want to use a USB hub, that's OK, but get a new one like this Anker USB Hub.

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
If you want to use a USB hub, that's OK, but get a new one like this Anker USB Hub.
If I am understanding the Anker 10 Port Data Hub specs correctly, the three PowerIQ charging ports do not transfer data, so that a SDS100 connected via its mini (not micro) USB port to any of those three Anker ports would not transfer data with Sentinel. Conversely, the SDS100 connected via its mini USB port to any of the other seven ports on the Anker, would transfer data with Sentinel, but would not have sufficient current to prevent the "Low USB Bus Voltage" message on the scanner, causing it to stop.

Hit_Factor

If I am understanding the Anker 10 Port Data Hub specs correctly, the three PowerIQ charging ports do not transfer data, so that a SDS100 connected via its mini (not micro) USB port to any of those three Anker ports would not transfer data with Sentinel. Conversely, the SDS100 connected via its mini USB port to any of the other seven ports on the Anker, would transfer data with Sentinel, but would not have sufficient current to prevent the "Low USB Bus Voltage" message on the scanner, causing it to stop.

Why didn't you recommend a better hub?

You missed some of the finer details, but this was just an example of a powered hub, so that doesn't matter.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Or the even more simpler way since all you are doing is copying good data from a good card to an extra card or cards:

1. Format all your new SD cards using the SD Formatter Utility (just to start off with completely blank slates)
2. Insert the source/existing SD card into the card reader of your computer and copy it using Windows Explorer to a location on your computer, such as SD Card Data
3. One at a time, insert and copy that data on the new cards.

This is just like copying any other data from one storage place to another.

jfmartin

One question and if the SD is damaged and you have no copy? When putting a new one does not detect it or opened what to do some process?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
One question and if the SD is damaged and you have no copy? When putting a new one does not detect it or opened what to do some process?
At that point your only option is to buy a new card and start over. But if you use Sentinel to program the scanner, you have a backup of the card in Sentinel.

jfmartin

I did a test with a micro SD with nothing but sentinel and the 436hp does not detect it. my doubt is if with the blank SD you can make the 436hp form it or recognize to start from 0

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I did a test with a micro SD with nothing but sentinel and the 436hp does not detect it. my doubt is if with the blank SD you can make the 436hp form it or recognize to start from 0

A new (or newly reformatted) SD card will not be recognized by the scanner until you use the "Clear User Data" function in Sentinel.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

This would be a different scenario than copying a good, working SD card, just to have some clones around if needed.

A new or newly formatted SD card does not have certain files on it. Those files are needed for the scanner to function properly. So to use a new or newly formatted card, you must cause those files to be written to the card. The process that does this is part of the "Clear User Data". Simply insert the new card, being sure to check the Display all Drives box for the drive having the new SD card. Then do the Clear User Data and you shoul be ready to add your programming to the card

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
This USB hub has 2.1A and USB3.0 data at every port. You could plug 10 SDS100s into it simultaneously. I've only done 4 at once so far, plus a 436 and a couple of HP-2s, but none of them had any low voltage issues.

Jon, Very interesting device. It's kind of confusing stating the it has 10 Amps but can deliver 2.1 Amps to 10 outputs. Wouldn't that be 21 Amps Total? I will definitely buy a couple of these if it delivers like it states. Let us know if you do further testing.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
10 amps @ 12 volts input converts to 21 amps at 5V quite nicely, even after losses.

aerialscan

Thank you for all the replies. Until I read them all.

Since I have only one micro/sd card drive on my pc.

Looks like it'll be best if I also find and get a SanDisk multi drive reader / copier first.

I haven't found one that takes two micro sd cards at the same time. Unless one is placed in the adapter that might work.

It's from Taiwan so it's a long wait, maybe an eBay item number: 152233040582 $26.67+Tax SanDisk ImageMate PRO Multi-Card Reader/Writer SDDR-489-G47 , to free up and streamline some of my other connections. Since I'm getting a lot of low voltage error messages on the SDS100 when it's connected to the USB socket multiple.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, you are way over thinking this. It isn't any different than the old floppy disk copying exercise. Copy the source contents to a folder on the hard drive, replace the floppy with a new one then copy the stuff held on the hard drive to the new floppy.

Hit_Factor

Thank you for all the replies. Until I read them all.

Since I have only one micro/sd card drive on my pc.

Looks like it'll be best if I also find and get a SanDisk multi drive reader / copier first.

I haven't found one that takes two micro sd cards at the same time. Unless one is placed in the adapter that might work.

It's from Taiwan so it's a long wait, maybe an eBay item number: 152233040582 $26.67+Tax SanDisk ImageMate PRO Multi-Card Reader/Writer SDDR-489-G47 , to free up and streamline some of my other connections. Since I'm getting a lot of low voltage error messages on the SDS100 when it's connected to the USB socket multiple.
Your scanner is a micro sd drive when in mass storage mode. Probably one of the most expensive micro SD card readers available.

Status
Not open for further replies.