How to scan the SC Highway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

396T UASD file for Palmetto

I have created a 396T UASD file for South Carolina's Palmetto trunk for the State Troopers.
This file follows Interstate 26 to Interstate 95 going south into Georgia.
Since I don't live in this state I can't verify if everything is correct, if there is some I have missed, or some I have that should not be there.
The layout of the system coming into S.C. on I-26 is as follows: (T3x = Troop 3; T2x = Troop 2; etc...)
SC.Palmetto T3a
SC.Palmetto T3b
SC.Palmetto T3c
SC.Palmetto T2a
SC.Palmetto T2b
SC.Palmetto T2c
SC.Palmetto T1a
SC.Palmetto T1b
SC.Palmetto T1c
SC.Palmetto T7a
SC.Palmetto T7b
SC.Palmetto T7c
SC.Palmetto T6a
SC.Palmetto T6b
SC.Palmetto T6c
I have the files formatted to start on system quick key 30 and end on 44 in the 396T to keep them separate in my scanner.
If any of you in South Carolina has free time, please look over my files and give advice on how it was made, or a better way to manage them in the scanner. This is a new scanner and I am still learning how to create systems.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• SC.Palmetto I26_I95 Troopers.zip
    5.8 KB · Views: 282

bonus1331

One suggestion that I took from another member and utilized when I drove from Charlotte to Hilton Head last week:
I created a different system for each site, but used the same quick key for the same troop.
So I had approximately 10 sites on my route with 4 different troops...thus only 4 quick keys.
You will only be able to monitor the site that the radio can pick-up the control channel on anyway.
Made it easier for me.

shakey071

Shakey071 ?????

i would like some help with SCHP talkgroups & greenville spartanburg erea...
can anybody help me out with this i have a pro-528 and i really like it!! i would just like some better talkgroups..i live in inman s.c.!!!!
CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A KICK IN THE RIGHT EREA????

hntsgt

Would you program a radio for SLED in the same fashion or is there a better way? How are the zones broken down?

Same for DNR & their zones?

I am in Pawleys Island (Georgetown Co.) and am trying to get the hang of my new 996T.

Thanks in advance... Mike

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
shakey071, I sent you a PM last week. Get bak to me, I can help.

hntsgt, 99% of the time SLED uses encrypted talkgroups on Palmetto 800. Lots of activity on 55040 and others that cannot be monitored. There are some analog talkgroups listed, and I hear one or two of them active once in a blue moon. You're mostly out of luck for SLED.

DNR still uses their VHF system 99% of the time. Use 151.445/167.9, that's the Georgetown repeater. You can probably also hear 151.430/123.0 in Charleston and 151.430/203.5 in Conway. Not much use on the DNR talkgroups yet.

I vacation in Litchfield twice a year, but I use a PRO-96, so I can't help you with a programming file. Sorry.

hntsgt

I keep the Georgetown site on the search mode in my 996T. I have no problem receiving the SCHP Georgetown/Williamsburg units. And the Horry group is simulcasted on the Gtown tower all the time.

It seems that Charleston/Berkley is only simulcasted sometimes on the Gtown tower and today i just started receiving Colleton/Dorchester as a simulcast.

Can anyone explain why I only receive these two talkgroups occassionally?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
When a subscriber radio (in this case a radio used by a trooper) affiliates with a tower and associates with a particular talkgroup, that talkgroup will be carried on that tower.

So if a trooper's radio affiliates with the tower you're monitoring, and they're tuned to the Charleston or Dochester SCHP talkgroup, then you'll hear that group on that tower. Once they move away and deaffiliate from the tower, or change channels on their radio, or power their radio off, the tower will no longer broadcast the talkgroup in question.

Horry SCHP talkgroup is probably carried on the Georgetown tower because of troopers operating in the lower part of Horry County, or because the troopers in Georgetown and Williamsburg scan that talkgroup (scanning a talkgroup on a radio won't cause the tower to carry a talkgroup, it has to affiliate with that particular talkgroup on that tower).

Does that make sense?

for those of you that are wondering about the dispatch on the pal 800 system for the schp the dispatch is now actually out of florence they dispatch everything from around bennetesvile to the beach now im not sure what happened to the conway dispatch but it has been this way for about 6 months now

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Just want to confirm that no new talk groups were added during the update, just re-organized?

Correct. I think the listing was reorganized based on channel # (thus grouped by Troop) rather than sorted by talkgroup value. This should make life easier for folks using the data web service function and pulling data directly out of the database into their scanner programming software.

No new talkgroups were added.

Palmetto 800 Towers

Can anyone tell me what tower(s) are used for the Gaffney, Union, Laurens, and Greenwood Highway patrol?

I have the frequencies and Talk Group Id, but I cannot figure out what tower is used for each of these.

Thanks for any help I get

lalliso11

I would like to be able to listen to the SCHP, I have a Radio Shack Pro-94, is it possible to be able to do this with this scanner or get a different scanner? If so would you give me an idea of which scanner I need.

Thanks
Larry

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Aside from being a pain to program, the PRO-94 should work fine, as it is an analog trunktracker. You'll need to program all frequencies for each site, and program one site per bank.

MC521

When i program the channels for the troop in my area. All i pick up are sounds that sound like someone keys up on a mic but thats it any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.