Howard Fire computer dispatching

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab3a

I'm also noticing that the two tone signalling isn't being used. I had one of my scanners configured for Station 4 (it is right across the street from me) and it doesn't trigger any more.

casey_bennett

I'm also noticing that the two tone signalling isn't being used. I had one of my scanners configured for Station 4 (it is right across the street from me) and it doesn't trigger any more.

I've noticed they changed too. It does something like a warble tone before every call but only on the VHF frequency not on the trunked dispatch channel.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Supposedly it worked great for station alerting but wasn't great for on air dispatch. Changes coming in the next 24 hours.

troymail

Silent Key
Supposedly it worked great for station alerting but wasn't great for on air dispatch. Changes coming in the next 24 hours.

Sounds about right. Anne Arundel had a problem several years ago when they were dispatching with the assumption stations - including units who are "on the air" - were always listening and could hear the dispatches. This lead to many units being delayed in responding. The solution was to make the dispatcher aware (via CAD) that some units on the call about to be dispatched were not in station. Under these conditions, the dispatcher makes extra announcements to make sure they know a dispatch for them is coming and also confirm after the dispatch that they heard it. From what I heard in Howard, this doesn't happen as the whole dispatch sounded "sterile". Still, we know it works in many places and their so much technology out there now (pagers, mobile data terminals, iPads, etc.) the verbal alert at this point is more of a "get people moving" feature. It gives the crew a chance to begin formulating a response plan while getting ready to respond.

ab3a

With the computerized dispatching they seem to be using some sort of "box code" number to indicate what the call is. Does anyone have a table of what these codes mean?

sc800

How is the system working now?

I worked there like 2 years ago and back then they were saying how the computer dispatching was just around the corner; and it was having the same issues(i.e. better in station then on radio)

FIREBOX2914

Premium Subscriber
The Computer Dispatching was canned for now due to NUMEROUS complaints from personal in the field.

CqDx

Seems like computer dispatch is back on VHF and trunked. Can't remember if the voice is the same but it seems more legible than whatever DC is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.