HP-1 Initial Setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

I will be unpacking and setting up my new HP-1 after work (firmware and database updates). I see that there are 3 options for setting your location and wanted to ask if there are advantages/disadvantages to each.

If I understand the easier to read manual, your options are:

Zip Code - gives you a default range of 10 miles
Town - gives you a default range of 20 miles

I will probably use either zip code or town. I don't think I want to use the auto-locate option.

What do all of you use? I am probably going to go with a 20-30 mile range because I will use it mobile when my mount comes in and I want to be able to pick up the county I work in without having to change the location all the time.

Also, any other hints that may help me during setup and learning how to use it?

I am probably going to set up a favorites list so I can just monitor my home county, my work county and the county my parents live in (all close together).

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I will be unpacking and setting up my new HP-1 after work (firmware and database updates). I see that there are 3 options for setting your location and wanted to ask if there are advantages/disadvantages to each.

If I understand the easier to read manual, your options are:

Zip Code - gives you a default range of 10 miles
Town - gives you a default range of 20 miles

I will probably use either zip code or town. I don't think I want to use the auto-locate option.

What do all of you use? I am probably going to go with a 20-30 mile range because I will use it mobile when my mount comes in and I want to be able to pick up the county I work in without having to change the location all the time.

Also, any other hints that may help me during setup and learning how to use it?

I am probably going to set up a favorites list so I can just monitor my home county, my work county and the county my parents live in (all close together).

The thing is you can try any of the options you want, and it just takes a couple of seconds to change it to something else. You don't have to stay with your first choice.... in other words, experiment.

At any time, you can change your location input method, and your range of reception.

You may also want to read these explanations of location based scanning.

How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Location Based Scanning - The RadioReference Wiki

Also, among the first things to do when you get your Home Patrol (after you have gone through the on-screen first time set-up) ....

Be sure you are installing the latest version of Sentinel (V 2.02 revision 04) on your computer. The version in your Home Patrol may not be the latest. You can download that here:

ExtremeUpdate < HomePatrol < TWiki

After that, connect your Home Patrol to your computer, open Sentinel, and "read" from the Home Patrol into Sentinel to transfer all the settings from the scanner setup you just did.

Then update the firmware (follow the on-screen directions).

After that, update the database, and then be sure to "write" to the Home Patrol to transfer the latest database into the scanner.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I have from day one used the Zip code. I also put the range all the way up so I can hear things I normally do not (when home) out in the truck.

As for the Favorites, I have a ton in the scanner. I have one favorite list with all my home scanning freq's. This way I do not need to have three or four favorite running and scanning all at once. If you have three or more favorite like I do with 60plus channels in one, it takes WAY to long to scan all and catch my local departments. This is where a "priority" channel would be NICE to have but DO NOT.

If you want to have multiple list running while out driving you might want to look into the GPS puck. It will bring everything you need in while driving from County to County or State to State. I do not use this as it was not needed for me. I program all the channels I need in the scanner and when in a certain part of town "activate" them and listen.

Good luck with your new toy.

dmg1969

Yep...I plan on updating the firmware and database right away and was going to download Sentinel direct from Uniden's website, but I grab it off the location you linked. I did see the Location, Location, Location article, but not the location based scanning tip and tricks. i have to check that out. Thanks!

The thing is you can try any of the options you want, and it just takes a couple of seconds to change it to something else. You don't have to stay with your first choice.... in other words, experiment.

At any time, you can change your location input method, and your range of reception.

You may also want to read these explanations of location based scanning.

How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Location Based Scanning - The RadioReference Wiki

Also, among the first things to do when you get your Home Patrol (after you have gone through the on-screen first time set-up) ....

Be sure you are installing the latest version of Sentinel (V 2.02 revision 04) on your computer. The version in your Home Patrol may not be the latest. You can download that here:

ExtremeUpdate < HomePatrol < TWiki

After that, connect your Home Patrol to your computer, open Sentinel, and "read" from the Home Patrol into Sentinel to transfer all the settings from the scanner setup you just did.

Then update the firmware (follow the on-screen directions).

After that, update the database, and then be sure to "write" to the Home Patrol to transfer the latest database into the scanner.

dmg1969

I have from day one used the Zip code. I also put the range all the way up so I can hear things I normally do not (when home) out in the truck.

As for the Favorites, I have a ton in the scanner. I have one favorite list with all my home scanning freq's. This way I do not need to have three or four favorite running and scanning all at once. If you have three or more favorite like I do with 60plus channels in one, it takes WAY to long to scan all and catch my local departments. This is where a "priority" channel would be NICE to have but DO NOT.

If you want to have multiple list running while out driving you might want to look into the GPS puck. It will bring everything you need in while driving from County to County or State to State. I do not use this as it was not needed for me. I program all the channels I need in the scanner and when in a certain part of town "activate" them and listen.

Good luck with your new toy.

Yes, it will be a bit of a learning curve, but fun to play with I'm sure. I thought about the GPS puck...still may get it after a while.

I am going to have to read up on the favorites and decide what I want. Most of the time at home, I just listen to my home county and maybe the county my parents live in. I would only want to monitor the county I work in when I am coming to and going home from work. I am thinking about probably at least 3 favorites lists. Home (just my home county), Home 2 (my county plus parent's county) and Work (my county, parents county plus county I work in). It'll take some tweaking I'm sure, but I'll get it. I'm a quick study. :)

Last edited:

Dafe1er

Yes, it will be a bit of a learning curve, but fun to play with I'm sure. I thought about the GPS puck...still may get it after a while.

I am going to have to read up on the favorites and decide what I want. Most of the time at home, I just listen to my home county and maybe the county my parents live in. I would only want to monitor the county I work in when I am coming to and going home from work. I am thinking about probably at least 3 favorites lists. Home (just my home county), Home 2 (my county plus parent's county) and Work (my county, parents county plus county I work in). It'll take some tweaking I'm sure, but I'll get it. I'm a quick study. :)

That is how it started for me three favorites. Now I have twenty...lol

I found myself using the HP scanner more on longer trips and just broke down one day and loaded all the Counties I drive through into it.

When I am home I have one Favorite named Home Folder and in it is the local sheriff, fire and ems dispatch only channels, along with a town over from me fire and local store security frequencies and let it roll. When the sheriff goes to tac or something other than dispatch I go in and open that folder and let it run.

dmg1969

Well, I am sitting here listening to the Homepatrol. I got it all set up...got the firmware and database updated and set up a few favorites lists. It is taking some getting used to, but it's really not as complicated as I thought. The hardest part was getting the damn BNC to SMA adapters to work. I bought a straight for use at home and a right angle for use in the car. It appears that the straight adapter's pin is not long enough to make contact. I put it on and tightened it as much as I dared, but it would not even pick up a weather broadcast. I had to use the right angle and that worked.

I had another problem with it not stopping on one of the channels, but that was because it is labeled as Public Works, which was not an enabled service by default. I enabled it and now it works. Still playing, but I like it so far.

N8IAA

Well, I am sitting here listening to the Homepatrol. I got it all set up...got the firmware and database updated and set up a few favorites lists. It is taking some getting used to, but it's really not as complicated as I thought. The hardest part was getting the damn BNC to SMA adapters to work. I bought a straight for use at home and a right angle for use in the car. It appears that the straight adapter's pin is not long enough to make contact. I put it on and tightened it as much as I dared, but it would not even pick up a weather broadcast. I had to use the right angle and that worked.

I had another problem with it not stopping on one of the channels, but that was because it is labeled as Public Works, which was not an enabled service by default. I enabled it and now it works. Still playing, but I like it so far.
Did you not use the adapter that came with the scanner? Mine works great.
Larry

dmg1969

I did not get an adapter with mine. I purchased a straight from Amazon.com and also a 90 degree adapter from a different website. Are they supposed to come with a BNC-SMA adapter? If so, I got screwed.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I did not get an adapter with mine. I purchased a straight from Amazon.com and also a 90 degree adapter from a different website. Are they supposed to come with a BNC-SMA adapter? If so, I got screwed.

Yes, you should have got a BNC-SMA adapter with your radio. It is a very well engineered adapter too as it has a broad base so the case of the scanner can help carry some of the stress unlike some other BNC-SMA adapters that are almost the same size as the SMA connector which puts a lot of stress on the SMA antenna connector. I think the SMA connector is mounted directly on the circuit board so this is not a good situation. I have a few of both kinds of adapters but will only use the ones like Uniden sent with my HP-1, 396T & XT, and 996T.

Medic115

Unpacking my new Hp-1

Yes, you should have got a BNC-SMA adapter with your radio. It is a very well engineered adapter too as it has a broad base so the case of the scanner can help carry some of the stress unlike some other BNC-SMA adapters that are almost the same size as the SMA connector which puts a lot of stress on the SMA antenna connector. I think the SMA connector is mounted directly on the circuit board so this is not a good situation. I have a few of both kinds of adapters but will only use the ones like Uniden sent with my HP-1, 396T & XT, and 996T.

I am sorry you bought a HP-1. Some users here report great things about them, I am not one of them and I can't even get uniden to respond to a email for a request for service and have been waiting for three weeks.
Yes I bought a FACTORY referburished unit and by Uniden standards should meet all standards for a new unit. Well I only sometimes get a digital signal. Oh and don't blame off brand adapters ( I was not sent one) inferior antenna's ( used what users agreed was the best choice and the factory unit ).
Location no I live about 3-5 five miles from the tower I wish to monitor, firm ware no tried latest and previous no help.
My suggestion is to find some friends who shoot trap. Load the HP-1 into the trap machine watch them blast it to crap which is what it is.
Then go SDR radio.

dmg1969

N0UDG: I got no BNC adapter with mine...only the two I purchased. I'm guessing that Uniden used to throw one in with the scanner, but opted to make us buy it instead. Of course, they are showing as out of stock on the Uniden website, so I will have to find one elsewhere or wait for them to come back into stock. I would like to have one because the straight adapter I bought doesn't work at all and I think the right angle adapter is just barely working.
Medic115: I am actually happy with it so far. I have noticed a few oddities with reception here and there, but that is probably because of the crappy adapter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phask

Premium Subscriber
N0UDG: I got no BNC adapter with mine...only the two I purchased. I'm guessing that Uniden used to throw one in with the scanner, but opted to make us buy it instead. Of course, they are showing as out of stock on the Uniden website, so I will have to find one elsewhere or wait for them to come back into stock. I would like to have one because the straight adapter I bought doesn't work at all and I think the right angle adapter is just barely working.
Medic115: I am actually happy with it so far. I have noticed a few oddities with reception here and there, but that is probably because of the crappy adapter.

Have 2 - no BNC adapter with either - there is with the new model.

Just ignore medic115 - he trolls every post with his whining.

dmg1969

OK. Now, I found this one on Scannermaster. Is this the correct one that will fit inside the ring around the antenna post on the scanner to hold it more securely?
e2y5yme9.jpg

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Have 2 - no BNC adapter with either - there is with the new model.

Just ignore medic115 - he trolls every post with his whining.

Since you said you have two HP-1s and neither had an BNC adapter I decided to check it out. The RR Wiki for the HP-1 did not have listed what came with it, I then checked on Amazon "what's in the box" for the HP-1 and it showed no BNC adapter, so maybe Uniden recently stopped supplying the BNC adapter.

So I then decided to check my computer for pictures that I took when I first got my HP-1 (August 2011) and sure enough NO BNC adapter was found. Therefore, it seems that it is normally not to get a BNC adapter with the HP-1.

However, this got me to thinking why do I have these acceptable and unacceptable BNC to SMA adapters. The only conclusion I could come up with was that I needed to order them because I did not get one with the HP-1 and apparently I ordered some without seeing a picture of them first and got the "bad" adapters.

So, some good came from my mistake I now know why I have these bad BNC-SMA adapters with a very narrow base (two per package).

dmg1969

OK...good to know. I shall order the one I found at Scannermaster. I already submitted a return to Amazon for the straight adapter I got that doesn't work at all. I'm using the 90 degree adapter I got for now here in the house since I'm waiting to get the rest of my stuff to mount it mobile.

dmg1969

A quick shot of the Homepatrol working with the BC355N looking on jealously from the background. Don't worry 355, the Homepatrol will primarily be used mobile...I think.
utypyge7.jpg
bu5ubaba.jpg

dmg1969

Loving the Homepatrol. It and the Sentinel software were actually much easier to learn than I thought they would be. There were a few learning curves that I had to figure out, but I did it. I brought it to work to listen to Dauphin County's P25 system. I can actually pick it up at home too. I will use it here and at home until the new (proper) SMA to BNC adapter arrives from ScannerMaster to allow me to mount it in my vehicle.

Last edited:

Dafe1er

Folk's are adding to the database everyday.

Every Sunday night those updates get added to the RR up load files and come Monday morning we can re-update the cards in our scanners from that.

Just remember that anything in your area that has been updated will also need to be MANUALLY updated by you for your favorites list. Those will not update at all until you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.