• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1250 Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstDue5

Sounds like it either needs an alignment, or it could have a bad front end filter.

Either way, it needs to be put on the bench and checked out with proper test equipment.

The Cherokee VHF system is pretty robust and you should be getting stellar receive with a decent portable, unless you are deep inside someplace like the outlet mall or in the low spots around Waleska.

You know of any places around the area that would be able to test it?

FirstDue5

If they aren't using companding then it should be off or it will not sound good... Have you looked at the RX audio settings? Is it Disabled, Compressed, Low-Level, etc?

It could be something like a bad speaker... do you have a RSM to plug in and try?

Haven't looked into the RX settings, I have 2 mics and it sounds the same way through both of them.

FirstDue5

So after listening to what it is doing for awhile, I can now accurately describe what the audio sounds like. When I'm indoors, it's a muffled static..kinda sounds like a fan is running every time there is audio. When I am outside with it, it's better, but there is still that weird muffled static to a certain point.

SCPD

QRT
Any chance you could provide a audio sample? Out of curiosity, may not be the issue but do you notice or have a hum type issue when the radio is emitting audio during traffic? To point it sounds like buzzing or getting interference? Figured I'd ask you never know.

So after listening to what it is doing for awhile, I can now accurately describe what the audio sounds like. When I'm indoors, it's a muffled static..kinda sounds like a fan is running every time there is audio. When I am outside with it, it's better, but there is still that weird muffled static to a certain point.

The HT1250 has a pretty stable receiver, have seen very few that needed an alignment over the years. How it transmits is not a concern and the wideband/narrowband mentioned will not give you distorted audio. Why dont you put in a local NOAA weather channel and/or another area frequency? Simple troubleshooting to figure out whats going on. If everything is distorted than its obvious you have a bad radio.

Tech792

Static as in low signal strength? If so it could be:

- Radio has a RX issue as stated before, off frequency, wrong antenna on radio, etc.
- Are you in the coverage area when trying to listen to the FD?

You'd be surprised how many times I get an HT1250 radio in the shop with an HT1000 antenna on it. Two totally different antenna connectors. They're not interchangeable.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
You'd be surprised how many times I get an HT1250 radio in the shop with an HT1000 antenna on it. Two totally different antenna connectors. They're not interchangeable.
My big one is XPR7550s with XPR6550 antennas or vise-versa.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

FirstDue5

Thanks for the help everyone. I just picked up the unit from diversified electronics, and the radio was in need of alignment.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Only 30 Hz? It will drift that much if you breathe near it. Your sure it wasn't 3 Khz?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.