HY End Fed SWL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprint

Premium Subscriber
Hello from Kingston , Ontario

I have recently installed this wire antenna and wondering if anyone has used it with success ? It seems to be most resonant from 15 MHz up.

I also have a PAR SWL wire and it seems to run circles around the Hyend antenna.
Any thoughts or observations ..?
Cheers
Chris

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here is their website

As there are multiple models, you're going to have to be a lot more specific. Precisely which one did you get? I'm guessing the SWL model.

The PAR has a set of connections that allow you to change the configuration of how the antenna is grounded or strapped- it doesn't appear that the Dutch antenna has that. The Dutch antenna is using an unun - I am pretty sure the PAR isn't. On the other hand, you get roughly 70 foot of wire from the Dutch antenna - the PAR, as supplied, gives you 45 foot. Before you can do any comparisons, the 2 lengths of antenna wire need to be the same..

But we're jumping the gun here. You haven't said anything about what radio you are using, how long you've compared the 2 antennas, are the setups the same (same height, same coax, etc.), what band(s) you are doing the comparison, at what times, did you ground both transformers?....

You get the idea. You need to compare over a fairly long period of time, across multiple bands and conditions. It's quite likely the difference is in the transformer

It's anecdotal in nature; let's put some science to it.;..Mike

prcguy

That's odd, HyEnd has been making end fed antennas longer than most and were one of the first to market a complete EFHW using a 64:1 transformer. Their SWL version uses a 9:1 transformer similar to the PAR and they advertise 22m of wire, which is a bit longer than a PAR at 45ft. I would expect similar results but maybe PAR has figured out some magic that HyEnd has not.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It has to be the transformer -- the Dutch one says it's an unun, but I don't think the PAR's is....and we don't know anything about the setup. Did the OP ground the PAR box and the unun? At what height are the antennas? Just too many variables to make a scientific judgement, which is why I said what I did...Mike

Sprint

Premium Subscriber
Gentlemen. I’m using an Icom 746Pro yes it is the Hyend swl. Both are up as slopers about 20 feet agl. They are 20 ‘ apart oriented ne / sw Rg8x 45 ‘

been up a month and against the PAR is underperforming. Generally utility 5 - 10 MHz

prcguy

Antennas can and will interact when set up close to each other. To get a fair comparison you would have to put up only one at time, make a bunch of measurements then quickly swap and make sure both antennas are set up identical. Then do it again on another day and compare the data. Make sure you roll up and remove the unused antenna because if you leave it on the ground it will interact with the antenna up in the air.

Gentlemen. I’m using an Icom 746Pro yes it is the Hyend swl. Both are up as slopers about 20 feet agl. They are 20 ‘ apart oriented ne / sw Rg8x 45 ‘

been up a month and against the PAR is underperforming. Generally utility 5 - 10 MHz

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And make the PAR antenna the exact same length as the Dutch antenna. Comparing a 45 foot antenna to one just over 70 feet long is not a fair comparison. The extra length means that the Dutch antenna will have more capture area for the signal and be more resonant on the lower frequencies as compared to the PAR. At 70 foot or so, the Dutch antenna will have the ability to be resonant (all other things being equal, we know that they often aren't) right down to 75 meters. And as prcguy mentions, those antennas are way too close to one another to be a valid comparison. In addition if you are grounding the PAR through the connections on the box, you must similarly ground the Dutch antenna too...Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
One other thing - the 746pro has an auto antenna tuner (sigh - very poor name....). When doing your comparisons, disable it. Using it will potentially skew your results...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.