• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I blew up a Radius P1225 :(

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
I got some P1225 radios super cheap and I accidentally put reverse voltage across one when testing it without batteries… stupid mistake, I know. Do these have a pico fuse or something similar like Motorola mobiles, and if so is there anyone with photos or guidance as to where it is or what it looks like? If that’s not it, what did I blow up? My power supply was at 9V and limited to 15 mA but it may have got a current spike from capacitors. The volume knob was off at the time and I immediately realized my mistake before powering it on (slight spark and current limit indicator on power supply). Thank you.

tunnelmot

No biggie you can replace the diode. In your case of the reversed polarity it was the sacrificial lamb so to speak. You can even clip the burnt one out and replace with solid wire, you just need to make sure you never do it again , then you'll REALLY fry the radio. I don't know why people clip the power leads almost flush with the mobiles when they remove a radio.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
That diode is very close to the positive line off the battery terminal on the radio board. If you follow the trace on the board you should find it very quickly.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
Im pretty sure if you solder a solid wire in place of the protective diode, you need to do it on July 4th, cuz you gonna have fireworks.

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
Im pretty sure if you solder a solid wire in place of the protective diode, you need to do it on July 4th, cuz you gonna have fireworks.
I’ll see. These radios are too rough for me to sell so I might just use them personally or for rentals. If they’re personal I might take my chances with making the radio a bomb.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
You do NOT solder a solid wire in place of the protective diode!!!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
That's not the way it works. A protection diode bridges the positive and negative power rails. When the power is reversed the diode conducts and blows the fuse. Yes there is a fuse for that radio. Adding a jumper wire will kill any fuse you replace. Find the fuse and replace that, diode should be fine.

Now jumper the diode and the fuse with some 18 ga and put the battery back on. Fun times for sure!

Last edited:

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
I’ve successfully got the radio apart except for the little plastic riser with 3 contacts on it that connects to the battery. Unfortunately it covers one side of the board where the trace coming from B+ is. I could probably de-solder this riser just fine but I worry when putting it back I will get solder other places and short things. I have resistance and continuity tested several components that look like possible fuses, and hooked up power leads and checked voltage to no avail. I cannot find a service manual or schematic for the life of me- I found something service-like on one website but it just listed some replacement parts and accessories.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
It's been a long while since I cracked open a P1225. None the less, the fuse should be a surface mount device on the board. Don't try to jimmy the battery contacts, you won't get anywhere with that. The fuse will be one of the larger SMD pieces on the board. It shouldbe labeled with the amperage rating on it. Scan around and see if you can find it.

FUSE SMD 3A.jpg

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
It's been a long while since I cracked open a P1225. None the less, the fuse should be a surface mount device on the board. Don't try to jimmy the battery contacts, you won't get anywhere with that. The fuse will be one of the larger SMD pieces on the board. It shouldbe labeled with the amperage rating on it. Scan around and see if you can find it.

View attachment 164605
Thank you. Unfortunately I think it is hidden under the plastic, or doesn’t look like a typical SMD fuse. I can’t find it anywhere else on either side.1719202802851.jpeg

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
I think I may have found it! There’s a small component marked that looks a little burnt and connects 2 large traces, and has no continuity across it, and one side is shorter to B+. It also shares a trace with a beefy diode.1719203524602.jpeg

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
That was it! Thank you so much, the photo really helped. I will probably just replace it with some solder and hopefully nothing spectacular happens.

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
Put a blob of solder over it and also replaced the very squishy PTT switch while I was in there and the radio is ready for programming tomorrow. Thanks!

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
You can replace it with a fine tip solder iron. I recommend finding a manual and getting part number. Now your radio has no protection to reverse polarity.

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
You can replace it with a fine tip solder iron. I recommend finding a manual and getting part number. Now your radio has no protection to reverse polarity.
Or anything else. What had died was the fuse as ramal121 stated. Diode is fine. I’ll see if I have a similar rated SMD fuse around I can put in it. For now I am not too worried, the radio is under $10 and until I physically clean up the case and decide if it is nice enough for others to use it will probably sit in a drawer. I’ll probably order a fuse, antennas, and batteries in a couple weeks. Also the only reverse polarity scenario is some dumbass with alligator clips was just guessing when the power was hooked up for testing (me, oops). Thanks