BCD436HP/BCD536HP: I need antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtp

my rs 800

i can receive a weather station (162.4) that is 20 miles away
but remember florida is kind of flat.
and also you can use anything to receive, it is on transmit that you have to be careful.
that is why people years ago used wire coat hangers to watch tv if they had to.

teufler

if you can erect an outside antenna, any cheap dual band vhf/uhf will easily cover the bands. Actually any outside antenna is better than inside rubber duck antenna. If you are only interested in sat , monitoring out to 30 miles, the Austin Spectre Condor antenna is what I use. I have dedicated 800 mhz Motorola antennas and can not detect much difference between the Condor and the 800 mhz only antennas.

wtp

jake

you can use a base antenna on a hand held, it is just difficult to walk around with. depending on the connector you might need an adapter and thats it.

teufler

If the "special antenna" you are refering to , you may need the gold colored adapter that comes with the radio. Its a sma to bnc adapter. There are many antennas that are bnc so they should work with the adapter.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have a used a Comet CH-32 Miracle Baby for close to 20 years with great success.

What makes it great for a handheld scanner is it is less than 2 inches long. I carry my scanner on my belt or in a pocket and can't have a 8 inch antenna sticking out.

It is an amateur radio antenna with an extended receive range of: 118-160 MHz, 250-290 MHz, 360-390 MHz, 420-470 MHz, 820-960 MHz, 1260-1300 MHz.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have a used a Comet CH-32 Miracle Baby for close to 20 years with great success.

I use the CH-32 Miracle Baby myself, and have for years! It's worked better for me than anything else, and I've tried them all!

Sometimes I think people go overboard with concerns of maximum gain, and larger antennas, and end up overloading the front end of the receiver, causing desensitization, and actually inferior performance.

Note: The CH-32 has a BNC connector, and requires the use of the BNC/SMA adapter. Comet also makes the SMA-501, which is similar in size, and has a SMA connector, and does not require the adapter. However, it does not seem to perform as well as the CH-32, in my experience.

awattam

Thank you!!

I have been looking for a short compact antenna like the Comet Ch-32 for airband and tonight I intend to go get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.