IC-R15 - First Impressions

Kiniutech

Past login as: questnz
Premium Subscriber
After looking for a while, I have finally found a rubber ducky for the IC-R15 that blows my mind...with full scale deflection from inside my house...The Smiley VHF aircraft antenna. It comes in three different freq ranges, but for scanning only, they work the same according to customer service (very knowledgeable person). After trying the Comet AB-35WS, Watson 901 SMA, signal sticks and even the Icom FA-BO2AR, this beats all of them hands down, only $22. It is 2 to 3 times better than the Icom FAB02AR antenna
and what antenna are you talking about ? any info or links will be appreciated

Last edited:

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
Did some quick, not very scientific, purely anecdotal testing on weak NOAA channels between the R15, R6, and V86, all using the Smiley 160 MHz 5/8 Slim Duck antenna. The R15 and V86 were neck & neck, both receiving the same transmissions at the same strength. I do think the V86's audio is a little smoother, while the R15 has more of that analog static sound to it - but as far as I can tell, it's not the V86 receiving any better, it's simply producing a slightly cleaner audio signal.

The R6 couldn't quite keep up with the R15 or V86, with the same signals coming across weaker & much more static-filled. Putting a Diamond SRH77CA antenna on the R6 got it a little closer to the other two with the Smiley antennas, but the R6 was still noticeably worse.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
While not airband, the v86 is an excellent radio. I have the older v80, basically the same and receive pretty much beats out any other vhf receiver that I own. Its supplied antenna is very good also. As you say very smooth audio on it too. Good to hear the r15 is in the running. Too bad they couldn’t put the same audio from the v80/v86 in the r15.

betito1954

Premium Subscriber
Ok I agree on the tuning steps especially if critical to you but looked quickly and could not find them. Would this be a big problem in either rail or air? Have monitored both without even thinking about that, but I understand it could be a problem in some cases…My old icom ic-v80 does have a problem with newer narrowband channels but I have always been able to receive with entry of the closest freq. comparing the exact frequency on my sds200 or bcd325 to the v80 reception is comparable. The major issue would be if searching for new frequencies, the v80 would not read exact…I assume this would be your concern.
that's where my r30 shines. yes its monochrome but full keyboard and 2 function keypad and the traditional icom ht 4 way key pad. ts, usb, etc. I do miss a color screen and a the scope of the 52. so be it

betito1954

Premium Subscriber
finally looked at this. Interesting information. Not familiar with mr mccreadie but may I assume he works for Icom so as you say a walkthrough and a rundown in basic features and a small sales pitch! As I have said, a very nice radio but only for specialized needs since there are so many others that do similar things. If Icom made a full multi digital, truly wide frequency coverage similar handheld receiver I would most likely buy immediately even at 100s of dollars more.
I'm looking for my r30 but in a 52 case. I also would pay top dollar

bcradio

Database Admin
I'm having lots of success on UHF air... Very sensitive, fast scan speed. Finding lots of new stuff too, as I can scan through the 225-380 band in about 20 seconds (by using both receivers.... One scanning 225-302.5 and the other from 302.525-380)

Exactly what I bought this thing for. I love it.

KD9KSO

After reviewing videos and reading the posts here, I broke down and ordered the R15 from Moonraker in the UK.

I thought the lack of a keypad would be a deal-breaker, but it does seem quite easy to tune this radio to the desired frequency with a minimum of hassle. I still do not think it will be faster than a keypad, but it will work out OK.

Moonraker has these for $449 US, and I thought shipping was a bit high even for the UK, but the bottom line was $506.77 including DHL Worldwide Express. This is door-to-door service from DHL. No worries about it falling into the black hole that is the USPS once it hits the US.

And duty free too.

footage

Premium Subscriber
After reviewing videos and reading the posts here, I broke down and ordered the R15 from Moonraker in the UK.

I thought the lack of a keypad would be a deal-breaker, but it does seem quite easy to tune this radio to the desired frequency with a minimum of hassle. I still do not think it will be faster than a keypad, but it will work out OK.

Moonraker has these for $449 US, and I thought shipping was a bit high even for the UK, but the bottom line was $506.77 including DHL Worldwide Express. This is door-to-door service from DHL. No worries about it falling into the black hole that is the USPS once it hits the US.

And duty free too.
Moonraker delivered mine quickly. Only one drawback: the VHF weather band search isn't in the firmware; you need to program a bank. I love this little radio.