ICOM IC-M36

Status
Not open for further replies.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
Hello!
I recently was given an ICOM IC-M36 marine radio by a boater who claimed it didn't work. I put a working battery in it, and to the contrary, it does.
However, it will not receive any incoming transmissions unless the vol/sql/moni button is held to open the squelch. When I press that button for open squelch, the squelch audio is very low (as if it's water logged), but when I talk on another VHF radio, the audio comes through at the appropriate volume level to which I have it set.
I'm confused... if the audio is coming through loud-and-clear, then why is the monitor squelch volume level abnormally low, and why won't the radio receive unless I have it in monitor mode?

If you know anything about portable VHFs (or radios in general) please share what you know. It is a radio in good condition and I want to keep it if repairs are possible.
If this isn't the right place for this thread, please inform me on where to seek info in the appropriate category, or a different website. Thanks!

Regards,

Avascan522

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
Thing is, it's a vhf marine radio, so it's preprogrammed. I'm thinking there is a problem with the speaker or receiving element. Has anyone heard of a misprogrammed vhf marine radio? I would think that wouldn't/shouldn't happen since they are factory programmed.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the manual and the programming of the Squelch/volume/monitor. It looks like you can program the level of the audio. The monitor button overides the programmed setting.
BB

Status
Not open for further replies.