ID Search Mode Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcisive

I've been playing around with my new 536. Finally got the Favorites I've arrange to work properly. But I am curious to better understand exactly what is the functioning of the ID Search mode which of course you enter with the large knob and E press. I noticed of course you get an "Unknown" as the ID of the channel, which is a drag. But I managed to lock in a super event of a armed robbery, chase and capture that lasted a good half hour. It's OBVIOUSLY a police department. They even gave the address range of where this event was. But interestingly enough there was no real way for me to KNOW what or who they are. Sure I see the TGID number #22400 which means nothing to me. I understand it's supposed to be possible to get a listing of what that TGID would represent here in Utah for example. Is there someone out there that has this capability and could tell me what that TGID represents? I can tell you right now IF someone could kindly give me that tid bit of information, and where they got it (I assume the pay version of RadioReference can do that) I'd manage to cough up the $30 for THAT. But I want evidence first it will be useful. So if there is anyone that can assist my desire to be able to do this I'd appreciate it. Thanks

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
In a trunked system the TGID is the channel.

In ID Scan mode it will only receive IDs which are programmed into a Favorite List.

In ID Search mode it will receive all IDs on the system. Used if you want to hear everything or to search for new IDs.

Click on Databases at the top of this page and click on your state and county and look at your system. It lists all the TGIDs and what they are used for / assigned to. A Premium membership is not required to view the database.

For example: on the "Utah Communications Authority System" - 22400 is "University of Utah Police 1".

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you had imported the entire system into your Favorite list, you would have had the talkgroup ID labels. It's silly to program a system by hand when most or all of the work has already been done for you in the Main Database.

Sentinel already gets the entire RR database for you on a weekly basis; you're stupid to pay for a subscription when you already have it, included in the cost of the scanner.

dcisive

I must be missing you somewhere. I do as you mentioned but only 2 TGID's are mentioned on that page. I don't see some mega list I can pick from . For example I just locked onto TGID:7360 It's NOT listed there? As the the 2nd gentleman's comment if I load the ENTIRE "Utah Communications Authority into a Favorites then you are insinuating that ALL of the ID's will be revealed as I scan. is THAT correct? I heard a GREAT one on it last night as I mentioned. Too bad I couldn't just have froze it, clicked on a menu (assuming I could find out what it was) and edit it's name so it could then be revealed for future reference. I don't know how I could do THAT either, but it sure would make sense. Once again. HOW do I get this master list of ALL of those TGID's because the page you led me to does NOT show them all in a mega listing.

marksmith

You can do exactly what you said. Freeze on a current unidentified talkgroup and enter a description. Just press the enter/yes key.

What everyone is trying to explain though, is that is not necessary. If you add a system, add the whole system, and it will include all talkgroup descriptions, which are already there. You are only getting unidentified talkgroups because you have added part of a system and then running in search, which will scan for any activity on the system, and not just the groups you added.

This is also true on the Hp.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the system you're monitoring is the Utah system W8MRH mentioned, then the TGID label W8MRH mentioned in the RR DB will be in the Sentinel Main Database under that system somewhere.

The thing you need to do is copy the entire system (not just a couple of sites or departments from the system) to your favorite list. That will transfer all of the talkgroup tags to the FL.

If copying an entire trunked system to a FL results in out-of-range sites being scanned, then there are errors in either the GPS coordinates or Range settings for the sites. Fix the errors and submit them to RR, and you'll make life easier for yourself and everyone else using the DB in your area.

phask

Premium Subscriber
1cc A DOC TimpStar Timp / Star (Woman Units)
Dept of corrections

Go here
Utah Communications Authority Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

and hit Cntrl-F

You can do exactly what you said. Freeze on a current unidentified talkgroup and enter a description. Just press the enter/yes key.

What everyone is trying to explain though, is that is not necessary. If you add a system, add the whole system, and it will include all talkgroup descriptions, which are already there. You are only getting unidentified talkgroups because you have added part of a system and then running in search, which will scan for any activity on the system, and not just the groups you added.

This is also true on the Hp.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

phask

Premium Subscriber
I don't like in Utah - but it looks like every system is set for 219 miles.

IF it's like that location scanning will load everything.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?rpt=8&sid=601

If the system you're monitoring is the Utah system W8MRH mentioned, then the TGID label W8MRH mentioned in the RR DB will be in the Sentinel Main Database under that system somewhere.

The thing you need to do is copy the entire system (not just a couple of sites or departments from the system) to your favorite list. That will transfer all of the talkgroup tags to the FL.

If copying an entire trunked system to a FL results in out-of-range sites being scanned, then there are errors in either the GPS coordinates or Range settings for the sites. Fix the errors and submit them to RR, and you'll make life easier for yourself and everyone else using the DB in your area.

dcisive

Forgive me. I must be having one of "those" days. I looked further down the page and realize the numbers in the far left column of each group. Duh!! Sorry. Should I assume if one had a paid subscription to RR they could simply input the TGID number and it would spit out the exact info on that specific number without having to even look for it otherwise? Just curious. This is cool stuff. I'm not sure I'd get all bent about not having the ID's as one can pretty easily tell what the nature of the call is about. In last nights instance they were even giving out the address area of where they were so it was even more obvious which jurisdiction it was police wise. I'm finding the "ID Search mode a real hoot as it's so darned busy and it keeps it interesting as it's constantly changing. If a call of significant substance comes in a simple button push and you're locked onto that conversation. This is pretty darned cool.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You're still talking about reinventing the wheel.

If the TGs tags are in the RR database, then they are already in your 536's Main Database somewhere. Or they will be within a week or so.

Copy the ENTIRE SYSTEM into your FL from the Main DB in Sentinel. Make sure ID Search is still on after doing so. You'll find that most of the unknown/unlabeled TGs will become known/labeled. Either Avoid out-of-range sites, or better yet, fix their GPS coordinates and Range settings so that Location Control does so automatically.

marksmith

Forgive me. I must be having one of "those" days. I looked further down the page and realize the numbers in the far left column of each group. Duh!! Sorry. Should I assume if one had a paid subscription to RR they could simply input the TGID number and it would spit out the exact info on that specific number without having to even look for it otherwise? Just curious. This is cool stuff. I'm not sure I'd get all bent about not having the ID's as one can pretty easily tell what the nature of the call is about. In last nights instance they were even giving out the address area of where they were so it was even more obvious which jurisdiction it was police wise. I'm finding the "ID Search mode a real hoot as it's so darned busy and it keeps it interesting as it's constantly changing. If a call of significant substance comes in a simple button push and you're locked onto that conversation. This is pretty darned cool.
The premium option for RR gives you nothing that isn't already in Sentinel. Uniden has already paid for your subscription when you bought the radio.

As has been explained, if you see descriptions in RR they are also in Sentinel already. The only reason you are getting unknown talkgroups is because you only put part of the info into your scanner. This is exactly the same for your hp1 or 536.

The info does not get into your radio from RR. It gets there via the Sentinel database, which comes from RR.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

marksmith

The 536 works exactly the same as your hp1 when it comes to the database. You program either radio using Sentinel, not RR. The RR paid subscription is for people who have radios that don't already have the full database in them like your hp1 or 536.

The only reason you get unknown talkgroups in either radio is because when you built your favorites list from the main database, you did not put the whole system into the list, and then you used search.

ID Search - You will hear any active talkgroup on the system, regardless of whether it is in your favorites list, as long as it is not avoided.

ID Scan - You will hear any active talkgroup on the system as long as you have included it in your favorites list and it's not avoided.

Mark

marksmith

ID search works exactly the same on your hp1.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.