Illegal CBers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

n6orz said:
What the hell is the point to a "keydown"? Is somebody at a remote location judging which signal overcomes the other? The RF fields these idiots generate cannot be healthy to the human body.

You answered your own question, and yes to the second and third things too.

Kinda like a hog callin' or a hollerin' contest.

gcgrotz

policeMonitor said:

OK, sorry I brought THAT up. I knew someone would have the videos.

Some thoughts on it:

Talk about RF exposure! Those guys need a cancer insurance policy right away.

And 70,000 watts? I question that. A solid state digital 50kw broadcast transmitter is the size of a large refrigerator. Google the WLW transmitter pages for a picture of one. It would require a generator on a tractor trailer to power it and if it was a tube amp, another one to carry the high voltage power supply. And off the top of my head, what size feedline line at 27MHz, would even 2-1/4" hardline be enough? Somebody could look that up.

The guy with the "3000s" in the back, I assume they are 4cx3000's so with the right power supply maybe 5kw output. That I could beleive. Wouldn't want to be around it when he keys it up. What would you use for antenna, a 5/8" ground rod maybe?

Whew, my head is spinning. My advice would be to leave that much RF in the hands of a professional. "Kids, do not try this at home."

KC8JPZ

Premium Subscriber
@ 30Mhz 2 1/4 Andrew Heliax is only rated at 41.3kw
Simmilar Eupen cable is rated @ 40.4kw

I have to agree with you gcgrotz, 70kw out of a mobile is hard to beleive. A crowd of people standing around that vehicle is harder to beleive with that much RF and it is obviously damaging equipment.. If they are actually running 70kw, I would suspect that the only way to transfer that sort of power is by using true hardline. Most likely home made from copper plumbing possibly.

newt1.jpg

Yokoshibu

3 day spermicide.

Yeah... thats dumb... 70,000 watts.... ok thats like 130 amp *15 volt *35 alternators.... no he doesnt have 35 alternators in there. unless they are running hv alternators.....

Last edited:

bobmich52

Why Go Illegal?

In My Days Of Working CB SSB, I Only Used The Limit Of 12 Watts With A Rat Shack 1/2 Wave Antenna.

Best QSL Card I Recieved Was From Yugoslavia.

Qsl Cards From about 30 Foriegn Countrys & 43 US States.

Skip In Those Days Was Something To Work If You Caught It Right.

All On A Measly 12 Watts!

Run Legal, The Challenge Of It Makes It Good Dxing.

wesct

Yokoshibu said:
3 day spermicide.

Yeah... thats dumb... 70,000 watts.... ok thats like 130 amp *15 volt *35 alternators.... no he doesnt have 35 alternators in there. unless they are running hv alternators.....

they take the rectifiers out and run the alternators ac.

i have seen a picture of a truck that has 9 alternators- 7 on top and one on each side on the bottom. the amp had a rating of 28kw carrier with forward power to 30kw.
he only uses the amp for competition, i think maybe once or twice a year.

just to let you know, he maybe running a big amp, but he built those alternators himself- thats what he does for a living.

its not how many toys you have, its how many front ends you can blow out on the highway when a trucker swears at you...

wesct

bobmich52 said:
Why Go Illegal?

In My Days Of Working CB SSB, I Only Used The Limit Of 12 Watts With A Rat Shack 1/2 Wave Antenna.

Best QSL Card I Recieved Was From Yugoslavia.

Qsl Cards From about 30 Foriegn Countrys & 43 US States.

Skip In Those Days Was Something To Work If You Caught It Right.

All On A Measly 12 Watts!

Run Legal, The Challenge Of It Makes It Good Dxing.

You could have been running 12 milliwatts, you still would have been illegal. Not that I think it is a big deal to talk a little DX on 11 meters when the conditions are good, but even to attept to communicate with any station more than 150 miles away is prohibited.

But it's no big deal, even the FCC couldn't care less if you do that.

bobmich52

Sticks & Stones Will NEVER Break My Bones, But NITPICK Rules Will Never EVER Break Me 821!

Let The FCC Fine Mother Nature, Let's See What The FCC Can Collect From Mother Nature Might You Say?

N

N_Jay

Highlander_821 said:
You could have been running 12 milliwatts, you still would have been illegal. Not that I think it is a big deal to talk a little DX on 11 meters when the conditions are good, but even to attept to communicate with any station more than 150 miles away is prohibited.

But it's no big deal, even the FCC couldn't care less if you do that.

Well not exactly.

At 12 milliwatts you would be in the Part 15 rules and almost anything goes as long as it does not cause interference.
However; the intent of your post is correct, as lets just change the "12 milliwatts" to "101 milliwatts".

Hey, I'm on your side, Bobmich! If I hadn't pointed it out, one of the legal eagles here would have swooped in.

I support responsible, courteous, and freindly international DX on 11 meters, i have worked 11 meter ops in well over a hundred countries and even a research station in Antartica.

I have met people and remain in contact with friends I've made all over the world on 11 meter freeband, and have never caused any problems to anyone while doing it.

But it is important to know what the rules are before you bend 'em a little. It is the Citizen's band, let the citizens communicate as they see fit, it is a small amount of spectrum, let it rip, I say!

N

N_Jay

Highlander_821 said:
Hey, I'm on your side, Bobmich! If I hadn't pointed it out, one of the legal eagles here would have swooped in.

I support responsible, courteous, and freindly international DX on 11 meters, i have worked 11 meter ops in well over a hundred countries and even a research station in Antartica.

I have met people and remain in contact with friends I've made all over the world on 11 meter freeband, and have never caused any problems to anyone while doing it.

But it is important to know what the rules are before you bend 'em a little. It is the Citizen's band, let the citizens communicate as they see fit, it is a small amount of spectrum, let it rip, I say!

Wow, you too?

I even have my own lane on the Interstate. Its the one just further left than the solid white line.
And over there there is no speed limit, since those signs only apply to the regular lanes, not "my" lane.
Then sometimes off the "freeway" I use my special lane on the right side. Its a bit bumpy, but again has no speed limit (since it is not a regular lane), and even those pesky red lights don't apply to me in my special lane.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

N4UYV_Al

70,000 watts LMAO!!! They should park where they can get their vehicles as close to those power lines as they can...lol...
What a waste of some good Eimac tubes....Hopefully they're not smart enough to know that there is more radio spectrum outside of 11 meters....lol
That cracked me up....

gcgrotz

policeMonitor said:
ive been there when a 102inch melted =)

If I had any brain cells left I'd figure out how much current would have to flow in the whip, and do you want to melt it all the way down or just the top part? Since a whip isn't all that thick, especially at the top, I suppose it is possible. Sounds like a fun myth busters episode...
kinda like the subwoofer they built!

N

N_Jay

gcgrotz said:
If I had any brain cells left I'd figure out how much current would have to flow in the whip, and do you want to melt it all the way down or just the top part? Since a whip isn't all that thick, especially at the top, I suppose it is possible. Sounds like a fun myth busters episode...
kinda like the subwoofer they built!

The bottom would melt, not the top.

It has to do with current not voltage.

Nordland

I used to be a CBer back in the 70s...gave it up and sold all my equipment around 85....my friends and I hung out on channel 1.....we used to have some fun and intelligent conversation....then the ignorant redneck types started coming down to channel 1 from 18....and keying up on our transmits with 1000 watt amps and D104 power mikes cranked wide open....RADIO CHECK........AUDIO....AUDIO...AUDIO...kin Y'all here meh.....those types ruined it for my group..and most just gave the hobby up.....just to many drunks and bubbas who had no respect for the other guy!
I had both a Black face Johnson and a White face Johnson....with a Turner power mic and a Super Mag antenna!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

Getting right to the point there is no such thing as a legal CBer, read the rules and you'll see why. In a nut shell there is no way to comply unless you're using it as FRS as it was intended and even then you're likely to break one of the "catch 22s".

As for why signals aren't heard it's simply a matter of range and propagation. At this sunspot minimum and the summer tropo and E skip season being over about all you'll hear are the locals. You can run megawatts and if the band isn't open ya just ain't goin nowhere.

Unless you're a CBer being creamed while you're trying to talk to your next door neighbor what do you care what the jackasses do? I for one couldn't care less as long as they stay off the ham bands, I have far more at my disposal than a small slice of spectrum and more resources as a ham than they can dream of in thier RF induced stupor.

As for those Kalifornya Killerwatts, they're so full of it. If bull poop were electricity they'd have the juice they claim but then again with all that hot air I'm surprised they haven't hit on the balloon idea and gone aeronautical mobile with a 50KW generator. BTW, I can't tell if the guys in that picture are plumbers or broadcast engineers, if the latter that's not the biggest transmission line I've seen. (;->)

"A solid state digital 50kw broadcast transmitter is the size of a large refrigerator. Google the WLW transmitter pages for a picture of one."

You don't have to, here's thier Harris 3DX50 Destiny, the smallest one they've got.

Last edited:

KC8JPZ

Premium Subscriber
Beleive it or not, they are station engineers. Combiner plumbing for a 60kw transmitter. Heres a picture of little antenna switch assembly.
newt5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.