inexpensive handheld w/UHF for airshows

KC1THE

The Yaesu FT-60R HT is another possibility.

G7RUX

Beware that using a handheld transmitter, even if only for receiving, on an airfield will sometimes be very much frowned upon due to the interference potential. How strict an air show security might be in the US, I do not know but personally I wouldn’t even take a handheld for which I hold a licence to such an event.

Stick to a scanner and things are much simpler.

In this regard, I would suggest a BC125 or Icom IC-R6 which both perform very well for the intended use; the Icom has no keypad so can be a faff to input desired frequencies.

davetyree

Premium Subscriber
What is with the Pro 26 thats its on its last legs? Mine is still going strong. The 125 will not do 380-400 Mhz, if thats something you may need. If not needed, supposed to be the best for aircraft from what I have read. Someone is selling one in the for sale section now. The new uniden isn't to bad for the price if you don't need P25. Comes with NXDN and DMR. Just have to learn it like any other radio. The menu system is a bit different but pretty good. Check out the user manual for more info.
every once in a while it will dump its programming when you change out the batteries.
it will act look like it did a hard reset.
other than that it's been my favorite.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
@davetyree - Avoid taking a transmitter to an air show. You may not get through the gate, or it may be confiscated if you get it through. The PTT button and overall look will give it away. Many air shows have posted information online on what can be brought in.

I use Scan125 to program my BC125 scanners. I use them 24/7 to monitor mil air.

MStep

I've watched videos of airshows on YouTube and it seems that a good percentage of spectators seem to be carrying some type of a radio, most likely a Uniden or Whistler scanner. I doubt that most "security" would know the difference. Although things might have changed for shows on military bases. More information in this thread:

If those with ill-intentions wanted to disrupt communications at an air show, a high-powered transmitted just outside the security perimeter would be something much more troubling.

Last edited:

davetyree

Premium Subscriber
@davetyree - Avoid taking a transmitter to an air show. You may not get through the gate, or it may be confiscated if you get it through. The PTT button and overall look will give it away. Many air shows have posted information online on what can be brought in.

I use Scan125 to program my BC125 scanners. I use them 24/7 to monitor mil air.
No problem. No way would I take a transmitter to an airshow, other than my cell phone...
Some of the rules I have seen at airshows mention restrictions on devices

eorange

♦RF Damaged Member♦
Just because a radio can tune to the UHF airband...doesn't mean it'll actually be any good. Examples: my FT5DR and VX-3R will happily tune the mil air band and it hears absolutely nothing there. You must do research beyond the published specs.

G7RUX

Just because a radio can tune to the UHF airband...doesn't mean it'll actually be any good. Examples: my FT5DR and VX-3R will happily tune the mil air band and it hears absolutely nothing there. You must do research beyond the published specs.
I would suggest looking at the antenna in use then since my FT2, FT3 and FT5 have all been perfectly good receivers at UHF airband, well comparable in performance to other radios.

eorange

♦RF Damaged Member♦
I used my trusty SRH77CA on the FT5 and tuned to 274.450 AM, which is very reliable and strong AR here. Wide open squelch and heard nothing. At that point my experiment was over. Maybe it would do better in the mid 300 MHz range: I don't know. But I wrote it off right then and there as not a viable mil air receiver.

G7RUX

I used my trusty SRH77CA on the FT5 and tuned to 274.450 AM, which is very reliable and strong AR here. Wide open squelch and heard nothing. At that point my experiment was over. Maybe it would do better in the mid 300 MHz range: I don't know. But I wrote it off right then and there as not a viable mil air receiver.
The SRH77CA is a 2/70 antenna so would likely have poor performance around 275 MHz. See the attached photo for an example of return loss for a similar type of 2/70 antenna.
1714548139237.png

merlin

The Wuansheng UV-K5 8 is illegal to own unless you are hold an Amateur Radio license as it is capable of transmitting on HAM frequencies. Likewise for some of the other frequencies that require licenses to transmit on.
Well, see, that is where you are just plain wrong. It can be switched to TX disabled across its usable bands.
I covered the "illegalities" of transmitting outside amateure bands in another post, and highly agree it should never be done.
For those of us with amateure license, it is a nice tri band radio for use in the US. Can't vouch for British or European use.

merlin

Strictly speaking, that is correct, the violation is pressing the PTT button. But in reality, a lot of folks who have them, "play" with them.
And that is the responsibility of the one pressing the PTT.

merlin

I’ll let you know when it arrives this Saturday. Here in LA, I only monitor a few airband frequencies, so even limited scan is appealing to me.

I guess the good news is a firmware update could fix scan speed it it’s too slow.
It is faster than my Bearcat by a good margine, expecially in channel mode.

merlin

I dont want to rain on the parade but, the Quansheng UV-K5 is awful on AM if you try to use it « as-is » out of the box :

it can’t receive AM, so they used a derivative method of having the FM mode being a bit offset of the real frequency when you program an AM air frequency, but It is awful, really. I wouldn’t give that radio « as-is » to my worst enemy.

If you really want to listen to AM air frequencies with this radio because you haven’t got anything else around, it is mandatory that you flash it with one of the alternate firmware that are developed by the community, and constantly evolving.
The finest one -to my taste- is the Egzumer 0.22 version. It’s AM air receive is « acceptable » (it is superb to non-initiated, but for hardcore air bands listeners, it still is… « acceptable » at best).

If you have choice, go for anything else, even an used old scanner, as the AM air is what it should be, on these workhorse.
Yes, the K5 had a poor speaker, but the K5(8) has an upgradded speaker ansome front cosmetic changes. I can hear AM fairly well even with my poor hearing.
I tried the IJV mod and like it better and for the likes of air shows there is a dandy little socket on the side you can use an ear plug to get around the croud and aircraft noise.