Iowa Statewide Interoperability Communication System (ISICS)

MCWKen

Just as a note, the mobile site (122) has moved to a new location in Clinton. The site went down yesterday, then in the evening, went back on line with Motorola techs making tests along with Clinton PD in areas in the past that were problematic. The coverage downtown remains good, but here in the 'lowlands' it has improved greatly. Will log on OP25 for the next few days.

MCWKen

By mid-afternoon, the signal on site 122 went dark. This morning, using GQRX, I discovered they had changed control frequencies. The CC is now 744.84345. Again, a very strong signal here in the 'lowlands'.

Screenshot_2021-05-13 OP25.png

pannhoff5

Hello I'm lookin for some info about more TAC CHANNELS for cerro gordo county iowa so far there is 3 channels listed but there is more can someone please help

MCWKen

Hello I'm lookin for some info about more TAC CHANNELS for cerro gordo county iowa so far there is 3 channels listed but there is more can someone please help

I have to ask, how do you know there are more?

ISISC has multiple TG's for both Statewide (TG 3002-3009) and Region 2 (TG 13602-13609). For incidents with multiple agencies, State Radio will assign a Statewide TAC for use, at least that has been my observation.

When Mason City/Cerro Gordo Co. were setting up, they tested a wide range of TG's, and of course I cannot find my notes from last year. Two of those TG's were encrypted.

west-pac

If you run your scanner in 'Wildcard' mode (RS/Whistler scanners) or 'ID SEARCH' mode (Uniden scanners) you'll hear every TG that is transmitted on the site that you're listening to. You can find new and unlisted TGs that way.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
If there are more, which I cannot say whether there is or isn't, they're likely encrypted.

rdelao_16

Just over the last few days with search ID on the system near Ida Grove and I heard a blurb of Voice from what I believe was Ida County Sheriff. TG was 32917. I'm not positive that this is accurate, I looked at the very last second before it jumped back to priority freqs. If they are on the ISICS system, I'm almost certain they're simulcasting from their VHF frequency.

also heard more traffic on 5103 but it was NOT Ida County. Will continue to monitor. If anyone else is able to listen with that would be AWESOME.

UPDATE: 32917 IS SIMULCAST OF IDA COUNTY SHERIFF DISPATCH

Last edited:

jasonbarrett

23520 has been active tonight on Muscatine/Scott tower. They have referenced DeWitt a couple times so almost assured a Clinton Co. talkgroup. It would make sense as it is only slightly above their known talkgroups too. Most of the traffic has been Tactical in nature.

MCWKen

I noted several times TG 23520 on the Muscatine tower. It is Clinton County, as one party talked about coming from "law center" with equipment. I did not get in quick enough to take a note of the actual RID's.

I am in the process of setting up a second "radio" to monitor the temporary Clinton tower. All I would need is a wet noodle as it is located along US 30 on the ADM grain elevator (for those who wish to pin point it).

MCWKen

As a follow up, TG 23520 has been a patch from Clinton County VHF. Lots of traffic on it during RAGBRAI.

Also, two TG's have been showing up on site 122 of late. 13001 which is R1Call11, and TG 30003. I could never get a read on any RID's or locations. Neither of these TG's show up on Muscatine.

Last edited:

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
Is the ISICS system use TDMA on the control channel? I thought I had read that it was a P25PII TDMA system…..I have not traveled to Iowa for some time.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Is the ISICS system use TDMA on the control channel? I thought I had read that it was a P25PII TDMA system…..I have not traveled to Iowa for some time.
No - unlikely to see TDMA control channels on interoperable public safety systems for some time.

Dockjockey53

Question. Are there many digital paging systems being used in Iowa. I have one working in my area and it is much better than analog pagers. Where i was picking up a very weak page on analog, I pick up a vary strong signal now. I read where digital paging may take a while to take hold in Iowa.

WillB

Washington County is using digital paging. Unsure how well it works for them. Since they switched to the SARA system, I haven't been able to pick them up.

baker50021

Depends on your location and I assume you're asking about Public Safety. I would refer you to the individual counties you think you want to monitor. Generally speaking western Iowa is still building out the ISICS system and coverage is so-so, central Iowa around Des Moines is 100% digital between SARA & ISICS. Eastern Iowa has alot of SARA and ISICS is still building out.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Depends on your location and I assume you're asking about Public Safety. I would refer you to the individual counties you think you want to monitor. Generally speaking western Iowa is still building out the ISICS system and coverage is so-so, central Iowa around Des Moines is 100% digital between SARA & ISICS. Eastern Iowa has alot of SARA and ISICS is still building out.
I was under the impression that base ISICS network was completed - the lead Motorola construction engineer has moved on some time ago. Perhaps the state is running a coverage improvement program, or some individual jurisdictions are adding sites to improve portable on-street talk-in performance. The system did pass its coverage testing program using the mobile on-street in 95% of accessible areas standard.