• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Is Changing Profiles at the Radio Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Boh

What do you mean changing profiles? There is FPP, but more or less it's for conventional frequencies only, requires having the option installed, and lots of other things (and in my opinion really should be a last resort since it's not a fun experience to deal with frequently)

MFG_rrt

I mean changing profiles as in basically a new codeplug. I was wondering if it was possible to store multiple profiles with different personality configurations that you can change at the radio.

N4KVE

No. You can store multiple “code plugs” for your radio on your laptop, and can choose whatever code plug you want to use. But your radio can only store the one that’s in it now, while your laptop can store dozens.

MFG_rrt

No. You can store multiple “code plugs” for your radio on your laptop, and can choose whatever code plug you want to use. But your radio can only store the one that’s in it now, while your laptop can store dozens.
That's what I figured, but it was worth asking. Yeah I have a number of codeplugs saved on my PC, would be nice if you can change over the air or on the fly.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Depending on how many frequencies you have in mind (which is limited), you could had the info that you wanted on that other codeplug added to the Conventional Personality, then make up a separate Zone and switch between them.

I'm assuming you have, possibly, other geographical or business areas in mind, looking to keep them distinctively separate.

I'm also basing this on my somewhat limited CDM experience.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
What he may be thinking of is Harris radios that have mission plans. The radio itself essentially can have 1250 channels per mission plan, which means one can have 10 theoretically different codeplugs in the radio and choose them from the keypad, if authorized by the programmer in RPM2, for a total of 12,500 channels. Pretty advanced engineering.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I don't know if I'd call that "pretty advanced engineering", considering that GRE came out with the V-Scanner feature way back in 2007. Allows the scanner to store 21 separate "codeplugs" that can be loaded into working memory directly from the scanner's keypad, no PC/software required.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I don't know if I'd call that "pretty advanced engineering", considering that GRE came out with the V-Scanner feature way back in 2007. Allows the scanner to store 21 separate "codeplugs" that can be loaded into working memory directly from the scanner's keypad, no PC/software required.
Compared to what MSI offers, it is. Having to touch a radio each time to change from say, a patrol to SWAT template would be no big deal on a Harris XL series with the mission plans already loaded up. (No, I don't have the funds for an RM/RC server). My APXs require a physical retouch every time. No subscriptions required for SAS add-ons with mission plans either.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Sure, assuming all of those mission plans are up to date, otherwise programming is no different. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a neat feature and wish it were available in the APX, but my comment was simply speaking to the notion that Harris is offering something so advanced and unique. A company that produced consumer grade scanners had the equivalent feature in their sub-$500 scanners over a decade ago. Predating the APX series, in fact. ;)

TDR-94

Harris PRC-152's had the ability to load multiple mission plans back in 2005. The XG-100P comes from the RF-310M-HH and PRC-152 development.

Status
Not open for further replies.