Is General worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJuice9

Hi all! My name is Veronica and I am new to the Ham world and am looking to take my test soon...

I was told I can sit for the General licesnse test, right after I take my Technician test. My question is, is it worth the extra study material if the HF rigs are not quite in my budget? It seems like the HF radios are all well over $1000? I'm looking to stay under $300 to start off with. The two I'm debating on after I pass my test are the Yaesu FT-60r or the FT-7900r...

From what I have read, that is the only major difference between the 2 licenses? I'm thinking of just getting my Technicians license to start, but gotta admit, going to General in the same day is tempting!

BTW where are all the ladies at? Ha!

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
By all means , it is worth it. You are already in the study mode and you can study for both at the same time. Your budget will get better and you will already have the ticket. Go for it.

N8GXZ

Hello Veronica, Do it ! The general is worth it , You can pick up a decent starter HF rig for anywhere from 150.00 and up usually at a hamfest , Ebay has some stuff but I would make sure ya get it off someone with a higher feedback rating and even then you could get burned..Try a local Ham radio club , They could be helpful. you could make or buy a wire antenna for about 25.00 and up and a 100 watt tuner for 100.00 or less . Ya dont need to buy study materials go here QRZ.COM Practice Amateur Radio Exams thats how I got it. If your lucky you can get on the air for around 300 - 500 Get involved with your local club , also try American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO Good luck !

Jon

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Dang straight it is. So many more places to talk. Now, IMHO Extra, for what you get isn't worth it.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all! My name is Veronica and I am new to the Ham world and am looking to take my test soon...

I was told I can sit for the General licesnse test, right after I take my Technician test. My question is, is it worth the extra study material if the HF rigs are not quite in my budget? It seems like the HF radios are all well over $1000? I'm looking to stay under $300 to start off with. The two I'm debating on after I pass my test are the Yaesu FT-60r or the FT-7900r...

From what I have read, that is the only major difference between the 2 licenses? I'm thinking of just getting my Technicians license to start, but gotta admit, going to General in the same day is tempting!

?

Veronica, it's worth it IF you think you might have a desire to operate on hf in the future? What are your interests? Now if you're content with vhf/uhf, like me then that all depends.... It's all in what your flavor is, so give yourself time to play around with the radio spectrum. :)

n9zas

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Well it depends if you like VHF/UHF or HF,or both.If you are getting 90 to 95% on the practice technician class tests you should try studying for the general too.If you pass the technician class test you can take the general class test for free,so basicly you won't lose anything by trying it.

LtDoc

Is it worth the effort? Yes, I think so. Take a look at the additional bands it allows you to use. You may not know about the lower bands, but they offer gobs of opportunities not possible on the VHF/UHF bands. Nothing says you have to use them now. But you have the ability to use them when you can afford, or want to. You know?
- 'doc

kb2crk

General is well worth it. you can always get HF gear down the road. sometimes someone will even lend some out to help a newbie out.

jhooten

From the cheapskate's point of view. Pass the tech then take the general, if you pass that take the extra. If you do it all at the one test session you only pay the test fee to the VEC once and you are done. If you take the tech today you pay the fee. Then later when you do decide to upgrade you pay the fee again. You have nothing to loose put a little time and $15.00+/- to gain.

Even if you do not pass the general or extra parts of the test you get the practice of taking them in a real world setting so you know what to expect later.

If you decide to get into emergency support and you have a general, or higher, chances are better you will be assigned to the HF station which will be in a tent, at worst, or in an air conditioned building, at best, while the techs are assigned to cross road x in the hot sun or pouring down rain.

Is it worth is? With out a doubt.

SCPD

QRT

Go for it! Everyone is telling it like it is. Being old school (anyone with a few decades or more), I believe it is worth climbing the ladder regardless of your current budget, besides, knowledge is power as they say. It is (or used to be before the no coders) a matter of pride. You will not likely have a radio or two... I have never known anyone that could deny the addiction. I recall trying to put the kids and the dog on eBay and... well anyways... by any and all means work your way up.

roadranger

"Where Are the Girls?"

They are on 20m! There is a YL "young lady" net on there at times and it aint all men. Most other topics were covered. I have bought three HF radios in my experience in the hobby for around $300, and all needed a little love. There are a few guys interested in my community that were there to make repairs on them as needed, because it is their joy in the hobby. I spent about $600 in tax returns about 10 yrs ago for the Alinco in my shack photo. Still use it on the road. In comparison to other habits, it's cheaper to communicate via Ham, than to invest in internet and cell phones. Your friends may ask, "where is you ipad," and you could answer, "I carry an icom!" Conversational piece.

Good Luck!

tojohnso

Absolutely!!!!

Veronica - Absolutely! I studied the ARRL books, both Tech and General at the same time matching chapter for chapter. Getting General opens the door to the world radio only. There are many used rigs out there for less than $1000 which may be easier to come by than the time to study and find a test session later. I wouldn't stop at General either.....

Dang straight it is. So many more places to talk. Now, IMHO Extra, for what you get isn't worth it.

Unless you were an Advanced, I disagree. But even still...... I like to chase DX and have found contesting to be fun. I've found the rarer DX seem to be found outside the General frequencies. Additionally, what you study for Extra can make you a better operator. If you are going to take this hobby seriously, why not get all the privileges?

Status
Not open for further replies.