IWN National Capital Region System Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
I don't think 187 is Crystal City. It's way too strong for me and unlikely that I would receive it at all without ducting. Comparable to Dulles at ~12 miles away. Crystal City is 31 miles away.

i completely agree with you, but since I was just visiting... I didn't want to say anything until someone with more time monitoring this system chimed in.

doug

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I will take another look when I return to town on Thursday. When last checked some months back the system was being reconfigured as we were watching and perhaps they had not finished or decided to move it. At that time, monitoring at Gravelly Point, the signal form 1.87 caused serious receiver overload.

Last edited:

BM82557

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I will double check Crystal City tomorrow as promised-taking a day of rest after driving 350 miles and getting to bed at 3 am.

BM82557

Ok, now that the db has been updated with the Metro area sites, when I checked site 1.96 all 4 freqs (which had been sending out test signals for 4 months) are dead as of the time of writing 21:00 hrs local 6/17. They were all active when I submitted the info last week.

Last edited:

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I did go up to the DC area this morning including Crystal City. The last time I did that (months ago), 1.87 was so strong that I received it on multiple frequencies on an SDRSharp where I rarely have that problem. But today I could not find 1.87 (this morning) on any frequency. I suspect that transmitter has had problems and may have been replaced at a different location or they have experimented with it. At Garvelly point, I decoded 1.85(15)/Bull Run, 1.86(24)/Badensburg, 1.89(32)/Fair Lakes, 1.91(16)/Greenbelt, 1.97(26)/Silver Hill, and 1.98(22)/Falls Church but no sign of 1.87 on any frequency. (Numbers in parenthesis are dB relative S/N--not Bull Run really does cover well a large area and is often the best signal down to Fredericksburg. For Freqhopping: Since you may be seeing it best, what is your best guess area if you are seeing it now?--I will take my equipment to that area this week. For BM82557: At least I am not the only one seeing things come and go. By the way, looking at the raw data, I see mistakes in some frequencies on the control channels (like typos in frequency of the control channel--not bad reception on my part but always there in their strong signal.) Back home, down here in Fredericskburg, I am only copying 1.85/Bull Run, 1.92/Independent Hill, and 1.94/ Spring Hill (LaPlata) which is average/normal conditions based on who I can copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.