Just a general question

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhawk9

I was perusing eBay this afternoon and I see a new scanner out there that can pick up a new band-X2-TDMA. I did a quick search and learned the basics of what it is, but I formed a question: The article mentioned that project 25 systems follow the APCO-25 system for public safety communications. My question is, if my scanner (UNIDEN-BCD396T) can pick up and decipher the APCO-25 band, can it be upgraded to accomidate the X2 protocol?

Replies to rimmer@mail2joe.com

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Motorola's X2-TDMA protocol can be monitored with the GRE PSR-800 EZ-Scan Digital Scanner. The PSR-800 is currently the only scanner model with the hardware to support any form of TDMA decoding (as of August 14th 2011).

On August 13th 2011, GRE stated that the PSR-800's support for P25 Phase II TDMA cannot be confirmed until it is tested live on a system that uses the final Phase II TDMA standard.

Uniden has confirmed that none of their current models support TDMA in any form, nor do they have the requisite hardware to do so, therefore cannot be made TDMA compatible via a firmware update.

X2-TDMA can also be monitored with DSD.

Printed from Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki

I am curious as to which scanner you saw on ebay. Do you have a link?

Last edited:

redhawk9

The specific model of scanner cited in my first question is one a friend has and he's getting rid of it in favor of a HOMEPATROL. I carry a scanner on my belt at work (security officer) and my current scanner (pro-96) is losing a lot of calls and I can no longer monitor or local CHP station. I'm going to buy his (its about 4 months old) and in nearly pristine condition. I was curious if it can be updated to pick up the X2 bands when they go live and if so, how much is it likely to cost me..

rwier

The specific model of scanner cited in my first question is one a friend has ......................................................................

No Redhawk,

"The specific model of scanner cited in my first question.."

will have a brand name, and model number, lol. Why the "dance of words"? Just blurt it out, Redhawk, only potential friends here, lol.

Rob

SCPD

QRT
No Redhawk,

will have a brand name, and model number, lol. Why the "dance of words"? Just blurt it out, Redhawk, only potential friends here, lol.

Rob

In his first post he said (UNIDEN-BCD396T)

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Again...as posted above

Uniden has confirmed that none of their current models support TDMA in any form, nor do they have the requisite hardware to do so, therefore cannot be made TDMA compatible via a firmware update.

kma371

QRT
What system are you trying to listen to?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

tanger32au said:
No Redhawk,

Rob

In his first post he said (UNIDEN-BCD396T)

No. OP said he has a 396, but another scanner might do what his can't. He hasn't, yet, identified what scanner he saw on Ebay.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Redhawk9 - X2-TDMA and P25 are not bands. P25 is a modulation, like FM or AM, and TDMA is a format for transmitting PSK signals.

The military uses TDMA for many UHF satellite communications, called DAMA, along with AT&T and T-Mobile using it for their cellphone signals.

redhawk9

No. OP said he has a 396, but another scanner might do what his can't. He hasn't, yet, identified what scanner he saw on Ebay.

It was the 396 and the reason was, I was looking to see what they cost, -v- what my buddy is charging. he's asking $250 and I was looking to see if he was being nice or if he was delusional (at least about the price for a used scanner. Other things....)

N8IAA

It was the 396 and the reason was, I was looking to see what they cost, -v- what my buddy is charging. he's asking $250 and I was looking to see if he was being nice or if he was delusional (at least about the price for a used scanner. Other things....)

As mentioned twice, the Unidens do not receive X2, TDMA. Nor do any scanners other than the GRE, PSR-800.
HTH,
Larry

PS: $250 for a 396T is a good price, but the technology is as old as a Pro-96.

redhawk9

***CONFUSION ALERT-CONFUSION ALERT***

The scanner I PRESENTLY AM CARRYING is a RadShak PRO-97. I have a PRO-96 at work (Supervisors radio-he won't let me carry it). The one my friend has is the BCD-396T and he's upgrading to the homepatrol for his vehicle. I have looked at the GRE-800, but I'm not sold on it yet. I kind of like being able to punch in a specific frequency to monitor for a while, and I can't do that with the 800 (or the HOME PATROL for that matter). As far as what I monitor (at present), I monitor San Luis Obispo County area police, fire and ambulance frequencies-specific stations, depending on where in the county I am. If all goes well, I will be moving in the next few months to the Carson City, Nv/Reno area. There, I get a new group of public safety frequencies to monitor

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I would by the 396T. I have carried one daily for over 5 years and I love it. It is not state-of-the-art, but the firmware updates have dealt with most of the problems. It will monitor everything that I need.

If it has any issues, you can send it to Uniden, and for $49 they will basically refurbish it.

With mine, the function button quit working and the dial and keyboard were wore out from programming it over the years, before I got a computer.

Uniden replaced the dial, function button, keyboard, fine tuned it, and updated the firmware, all for the $49 charge, and it only took three weeks door-to-door. It is like a new radio, better than new with the firmware updates.

And it's technology is far, far, away from the Pro-96

Last edited:

rwier

***CONFUSION ALERT-CONFUSION ALERT***

The scanner I PRESENTLY AM CARRYING is a RadShak PRO-97. I have a PRO-96 at work (Supervisors radio-he won't let me carry it). The one my friend has is the BCD-396T and he's upgrading to the homepatrol for his vehicle. I have looked at the GRE-800, but I'm not sold on it yet. I kind of like being able to punch in a specific frequency to monitor for a while, and I can't do that with the 800 (or the HOME PATROL for that matter). As far as what I monitor (at present), I monitor San Luis Obispo County area police, fire and ambulance frequencies-specific stations, depending on where in the county I am. If all goes well, I will be moving in the next few months to the Carson City, Nv/Reno area. There, I get a new group of public safety frequencies to monitor

From the above: "The scanner I PRESENTLY AM CARRYING is a RadShak PRO-97".
and "The one my friend has is the BCD-396,....."

But from the OP: "....my scanner (UNIDEN-BCD396T).......

All of you can call me confused, if you want, but I prefer to think of the problem as one involving English Syntax. Reminds me of early grade school (1946-1950). The yellow Report Cards you had to take home had two (2) entries under English.

1) Reads and 2) Reads for understanding

Now, I know you folks won't believe it, but all of the test scores (both the scores and the STUDENTS' NAMES) that resulted in the Report Card entries were posted on the blackboard (for the world to see!) with the high scores at the top. It was obvious by the scores that all thirty (or so) students could read. However, the average number of students scoring in the 90's on "reading for understanding" (or comprehension) was probably 2.5 (a guess) based upon over a hundred such tests.

It can't be proven today (Names on the blackboard? You'd probably get prison time, lol), but I would guess that the small percentage of students that can read for comprehension has not changed much over the years. However, I would bet that the rest (lesser comprehension) have settled closer to the bottom of the barrel, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.