Kansas roll call

cellsitetc

Awesome thanks for the info about wichita, does anyone know what the trunk members are?
Example KHP troop F is 1360.
Thanks again for the freqs.

n0lqt

Also I have found a few new "Tactical" TG's, but not sure to post... Seems they want these secret.

How can they be "secret?" The control channel blasts out the TGID and RADIOID everytime they use that Talkgroup. Are they encrypted also?

The State (KDOT Legal Division, I believe) has determined that the Talkgroup or Programming Template information all falls under the Kansas Open Records Law. That was how I obtained all the KSICS info last spring.

ajbalzer

Premium Subscriber
Lyndon, Ks. Just got my first scanner. GRE PSR-500. Having poblems wrapping y mind around trunking and how it works. I just monitor Osage, Lyon, Coffey CO traffic. Need to add teh State wide digital stuff but I keep messing up the downloads.

Adam

n0lqt

Lyndon, Ks. Just got my first scanner. GRE PSR-500. Having poblems wrapping y mind around trunking and how it works. I just monitor Osage, Lyon, Coffey CO traffic. Need to add teh State wide digital stuff but I keep messing up the downloads. Adam

Hi Adam,

First thing, FORGET CHANNELS and BANKS. The 500/600 scanners (& the RS Pro-106/197's) are Object Oriented Programming scanners. You load the KSICS system ONCE with all of the talkgroups and control channels and then you can add those talkgroups to various scanlists. You can even mix conventional and Trunked objects in the same list. If you don't want to listen to a particular talkgroup, don't assign it to a scanlist. If you have a few favorites, they can be included in multiple scanlists without having to reload them multiple times. With a system like KSCIS with over 1400 talkgroups, that saves a lot of memory. Another nice thing is the scanlists can have as many objects assigned to them as you want. I just looked at mine and I have 62 free objects. The memory is filled with KSICS, SG County, MP County, Westar, and numerous conventional frequencies. Quite a few of them are not even included in any of the regular scanlists. I do have one scanlist that has EVERYTHING, but rarely ever activate it. My KSICS talkgroups are broken up into separate "County Scanlists." I have another with just the KHP in it. My Skywarn list has just the Ham Radio Weather Spotter Repeaters, the National Weather Service Talkgroups for my area, and my local conventional PS frequencies.

And, since you have V-folders, you can have multiple configurations for different situations. I have one folder with nothing but Ham Radio Repeater frequencies, 6 meter, 2 meter, 220, 440, and 1280 MHz. I have another couple of folders filled with nearby states for when I travel. Next best thing to GPS really….

ajbalzer

Premium Subscriber
n0lqt,
Thanks so much for the reply. I think I am making headway with my new toy. I added the Waverly KS TSYS last night and I am getting traffic! So, I can add these digital groups in my my conv groups and it will work like a happy family in my radio? That makes my night. If I want to listen when I am down in Ark City, I just need to add the TSYS for that area and my talkgroups will still be good?

Thanks again.

KSDeputy

Kansas Roll Call

I live in Douglas county, but worked in Shawnee county all of my career. Until the recent rebanding, I listened to Topeka Police, Shawnee Sheriff & the Douglas County trunk system which covers all law enforcement in the county.

KSDeputy

I live in DG county, and used to monitor SN & DG county. They have both rebanded, and I have not tried to reprogram all of my scanners. I plan on selling them, waiting until they go digital and buy a digital handheld. I have two trunking scanners, a trunking handheld, and three conventional scanners.

Last edited:

n0lqt

Cool vehicle tag

I was driving on I-135 the other evening and came up on the coolest personalized tag I'd seen in a while. Ahead of me chugging down the road was this old beater of a Honda with the personalized tag "ZRV" displayed. On the back window was a sticker that had a couple of Bio-hazard symbols and it said "ZOMBIE RESPONSE VEHILCLE - STAY BACK 500 FT." :lol:

Sparhawk

Greetings all...long time scanner listener (since the early 80's). I've had several over the years, but currently have an older Radio Shack PRO-90, and a Uniden BCD996XT. I monitor Leavenworth County, and the surrounding counties.

mrbob55

Premium Subscriber
Greetings from Northern Russell County....been hooked on hearing radio traffic since the late 60's when I built one of those Knight kit shortwave radios as a kid......have several scanners, listen to local stuff here in Russell County and the surrounding counties......about a year ago I added a PRO-197 to my lineup so I can hear the digital.....

bear780ks

Douglas County And Lawrence...

When i was Listening to some of the Traffic on my Cell phone which sounds good by the way for Lawrence P.D. Fire, Etc i was paying close attention to when the Dispatcher was giving the Time Stamp of each Call and was a little surprised there was very little Delay as been Talked about in another area of the Forum..

Each call to the officers and time Stamp was about Min. or Less to Real time as i was Watching the Time on our Cable Box which is very Accurate.. But i have relative that works on the P.D. and i was trying to see if i could hear his Traffic...At the time of my listening i didn't hear him on the Radio but with the Metadata feature that the app has it Nice to see who's doing What.. :D Ra

mrkevin02

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday on my way to Garden City Kansas I notice a new tower has been put up on K-156 at about mile post 12 in Finney County. (which is about 12 miles east of Garden City) They worked really fast getting this tower up because 10 days ago there was nothing there but pasture. The tower is not very tall as far as towers go, and had the what I call the standard four wings at the top. There is no antenas up or cable running down to the new building next to it. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on who the tower was going to before. Thanks in advance.

n0lqt

That's one of the issues a lot of communities have had with scanner apps on cellphones. The streaming audio is getting so close to "real-time" as to be essentially the same thing. Probably not close enough to be helpful in a pursuit, but more than close enough for a couple of perps to use to hit a "Stop-n-Rob" or for a smash and grab burglary. They listen for the area officer to get a call or make a traffic stop and then make their play. Of course banning scanners and scanner apps do no good at all to prevent this. Anyone willing to commit a violent felony is probably not even going to think twice about a misdemeanor scanner law. But that’s a whole other discussion thread in itself….

bear780ks

Yup when i was listening it was within seconds i heard the Transmission but as i mentioned in my Post it was to see if i could hear my Cousin. or Not..:) Ra

rankin39

I'm temporarily back living in Lawrence at Brandon Woods nursing facility to receive treatment for a broken pelvic bone I suffered late last October. It's been a little slow to heal up, but I hope to participate in the LV CO Spring weather sweepstakes as usual this April onward. Time will decide.

Bob, wOnxn

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
New member in Shawnee County Checking in

....I've been lurking long enough...decided to finally join in...

My name is Brian..amateur radio operator since '08 (along with my wife, Amy, kd0egb) monitoring scanner traffic since the mid 70's here in Shawnee Co. ...working some overtime so as to be able to purchase soon a NEW scanner that is P 25 compatible ..my old RS handheld doesn't owe me a thing...it's seen a lot in the last 14 yr's and it's time to put it in reserve.

Run an ICOM ID-800 on the amateur radio side of things....mostly use it for severe weather spotting, ARES activities, etc.

Been an active weather spotter here in Shawnee Co. since the early 80's

I spotted a couple of names I recognized from incidents and events here in Shawnee Co.... nec911 (Nelson) and cinsu (Justin)

tlangshaw

Premium Subscriber
Kansas City Kansas

I live east of The Legends, Kansas Speedway. I listen to KHP, KCKS, KCMO, Lansing, Bonner Springs, Edwardsville and some other stuff. I have several scanners, to many to list, all RS scanners from old to new. I bought my first scanner in 1976 and have been hooked since. I have used RR a bunch and decided to join in finally...........................

joeuser

The Wretched
I'm located in North Central Kansas. Been listening to radio for as long as I can remember. My first scanner was a 4 channel crystal driven deal from Radio Shark, had the 4 red LED's with switches to lock channels in & out. Grey colored body & black top. I was hooked! From there I got a 10-12 channel model, both of those are since lost. My next scanner was a Regency Z60. I had that up until just a few years ago. Now my main rigs are 2- BC780XLT's, 1- UBC780XLT, 1- Trident TRX-100XLT, & just recently SDR with a NooElec R820T using SDR#, UniTrunker, DSD+, etc. Really enjoying this SDR. I'm studying for my amatuer radio liscense & hope to take that up to the General Class, as the Extra Class doesn't seem to offer me much - but we'll see what happens. General Class is my goal.Just joined the forums & stumbled upon this thread while searching for some SDR related info. Thought I'd say Hello.