• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KDR to RU

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiremanSparky

Okay, so lets say in theory you have an RU board to drop in. Do you lose the feature string that's with the radio, or do you have to get a new feature string that matches what was originally with the radio?

Thanks,
Frank

rmiles

Search Elroy's post in this forum. He has covered how and where on the PCB the feature encryption and ROM S/N: are stored. I think the ROM is on the Dallas chip. You can take the two chips off a baord and place them on anouther. I. E., if you have a dead radio with an awsome feature string, and a good radio with a poor feature string, you can take the chips off the bad board, and place them on the good board.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
But you'd better have some respectable skills with surface mounted components before you try it!

If both radios (the donor with the great feature string, and the target with a lesser one) are
readable, you only need to swap ONE chip, not two. The EEPROM swap is only needed
if the donor radio is dead and unreadable.

The process is simple: Using RadioMaintenance, read the feature string and save it, and copy the ESN number.

You must do this for the donor radio at least. Do it for the target radio, too, as ANY valid
feature string/ESN combo is worth keeping.

CAREFULLY remove the DS2401 chip from the donor radio.

Carefully remove the DS2401 chip from the target radio. Put the donor DS2401 chip in
the target radio.

Reassemble the target radio and blow the donor's feature string into the target radio.

You're done.

There are some limitations. LPEs have 32 option slots. KRD Jaguars have 32 option slots.
Their feature strings are of the same length, so their feature sets are interchangeable
by this method. The same applies to Orions. (Older ones, at least.) And for MRKs,
the same applies. All are interchangeable.

But, the RU series Jaguars and 5100s and 7100s have 40 option slots and their feature
strings are longer.

The feature strings need to be the same length for the swap to take, to the best of my
knowledge. If it didn't match, any attempts at swaps I've made have failed.

Elroy

Status
Not open for further replies.