Kenwood TM-281A Discriminator Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I'm trying to find out if anyone know a good location in a 281 to get raw, unchanged audio.

My end application is to connect to a TNC. Right now I'm using the speaker audio with the speaker desoldered. I would LIKE to be able to reconnect the front panel speaker and use it for VA. So having the TNC getting raw audio and the speaker reconnected would be amazing.

Thanks in advance!

Evan
KK4LQX

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Do some research on using the Kenwood TM-271 with a packet TNC. The European version of the 271 brought the necessary receive audio, transmit audio, and PTT signals out to a jack on the radio. The U.S. version of the 271 doesn't have that jack, but the solder pads for connecting the jack are still visible on the circuit board. Whatever knowledge you can gain about the 271 may, or may not, apply to the 281.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Sweet thank you! I've been told by a very knowledgeable friend that speaker audio is best for 1200 baud packet. Discriminator audio is best for 9600 baud packet. What are everyone's thoughts on this. If the general consensus is to stick with speaker audio that's what all do (and it's less work [emoji1]).

K4NNW

I have a TM-271A and I had it on discriminator audio for years, but recently rewired the cable for speaker audio. I didn't notice any difference in reception. However, with speaker audio, one should be mindful of where the volume knob is.

Status
Not open for further replies.