Key back light question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to have the key back light come on
Since you didn't specify which model, here's a generic answer:

It always helps if you tell us what model scanner you're asking about. Some older models have this option.

Last edited:

Saint

Premium Subscriber
On the SDS100 Scanner go into menu scroll down to Display Options, hit enter, click on Backlight Options. , set timer set press on Squench, set to Open Squelch hit enter, under key press i have it set at 15 seconds, or you can do it easier in Sentinel software.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Page 30 of the Uniden SDS200 printed manual; Display Options>Backlight Options, none of the options offered address what I'm looking for.

The back light's for the buttons and number keypad, are either on or off, and I'd like them to come on, as the display does, when the squelch breaks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Page 30 of the Uniden SDS200 printed manual; Display Options>Backlight Options, none of the options offered address what I'm looking for.

The back light's for the buttons and number keypad, are either on or off, and I'd like them to come on, as the display does, when the squelch breaks.
It's not noted in the SDS200 Owners Manual, but is on the Easier to Read manual for the SDS200. See the link in Post 3 above

Go to the menu
Scroll down to Display Options & press E (enter)
Then Backlight Options
Then Set Timer
The first line there is for Squelch options
You can select either backlight remains when squelch is broken, or comes on for preset times, or stays on when Squelch is open. That's the one you want.
The other option under set timer is where you can determine how long the backlight remains on when a key is pressed.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Post three covers this it's in the Manual.
Steve
Steve, which manual?
The easier to read or the manual that comes with the unit?

To reiterate my question, in case I wasn't clear enough, on the SDS200, how can you have the keypad lights, not the display, the keypad light for all the physical buttons, turn on or off as the display comes on when the squelch breaks.

Right now, as it stands, I can have the keypad lit on or off. I see no alternative to turn on and off, when the squelch breaks, as it does for the display.

It's not in the Uniden SDS200 manual, and the easier to read, does not show it either.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Steve, which manual?

To reiterate my question, in case I wasn't clear enough, on the SDS200, how can you have the keypad lights, not the display, the keypad light for all the physical buttons, turn on or off as the display comes on when the squelch breaks.

Right now, as it stands, I can have the keypad lit on or off. I see no alternative to turn on and off, when the squelch breaks, as it does for the display.

It's not in the Uniden SDS200 manual, and the easier to read, does not show it either.
Look at post three, click on the manual link it will take you to the easy manual were it tells you how to do this.
Steve

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Steve, which manual?

The Easier to Read version. It is NOT on Uniden's manual, including the pdf copy you can download.

(I'm the other Steve)

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
It's not noted in the SDS200 Owners Manual, but is on the Easier to Read manual for the SDS200. See the link in Post 3 above

Go to the menu
Scroll down to Display Options & press E (enter)
Then Backlight Options
Then Set Timer
The first line there is for Squelch options
You can select either backlight remains when squelch is broken, or comes on for preset times, or stays on when Squelch is open. That's the one you want.
The other option under set timer is where you can determine how long the backlight remains on when a key is pressed.

Yes, thank you, I have it set up just like you explained, but that takes care of the display and not the keypad.
Unless I have a defective scanner, the keypad lights do not come on as the squelch breaks.

They only stay on or off, regardless of squelch or timer setting

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes, thank you, I have it set up just like you explained, but that takes care of the display and not the keypad.
Unless I have a defective scanner, the keypad lights do not come on as the squelch breaks.

They only stay on or off, regardless of squelch or timer setting
Unfortunately, looks like the only choice on the keypad backlight is on or off. Ideally, it would mimic the setting for the main display, but does not. Uniden may have set it that way so that you could see the keys if you wanted to change something,

Status
Not open for further replies.