LA County Fire "Future Use" freqs testing

gabrielm

Premium Subscriber
Are incident size-ups (and other traffic to/from dispatch) now a being done on the command channels, when one is assigned? Previously, size-ups and other traffic for structure fires etc. were done on the admin channels (eg, blue 1). But I’m not hearing those on the new dispatch channels anymore.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
i asked them on X if they were going to continue streaming, they said yes after the tweaking is done, there will be 30 freq...

E5911

Premium Subscriber
OK a question from out here in the desert....
LARics is primarily a digital trunked network, soo
Will LAcoFD remain on analog conventional, or go p25?
What about trunking?

Engine104

Member since 2005
Do any of you have a combination of voice and data on some of the frequencies, for example on 482.974, D-4? Maybe it is just a lack of selectivity on my 30+ year old Pro-2006, but I am also hearing it on my Pro-96.

f40ph

Feed Provider
Are incident size-ups (and other traffic to/from dispatch) now a being done on the command channels, when one is assigned? Previously, size-ups and other traffic for structure fires etc. were done on the admin channels (eg, blue 1). But I’m not hearing those on the new dispatch channels anymore.
Exactly correct. Units not assigned a Command channel shall be on the "D" dispatch channel. All structure fires are assigned a command channel. All traffic pertaining to the incident occurs there (between the dispatcher and units on scene).

kj6psg

Do any of you have a combination of voice and data on some of the frequencies, for example on 482.974, D-4? Maybe it is just a lack of selectivity on my 30+ year old Pro-2006, but I am also hearing it on my Pro-96.
You're hearing P25 Phase II from 482.9625 MHz, which is a voice channel for the LA-RICS DTVRS West Simulcast (Site 59); the 18 kHz-bandwidth wideband NFM filters on the old scanners don't cut it anymore with LA now using 12.5 kHz channels to their fullest density.

4829625.png

Engine104

Member since 2005
That makes total sense, KJ6PSG. Thanks so much. I noticed I don't seem to have that problem on my older handhelds with PLs set on each LACoFD freq for some reason.

A bit off-topic for this thread, but now that LA-RICS seems to be up and running, have people with P25 Phase 2 scanners, other than the SDS series, noticed simulcast issues?

TNX and 73.

-Larry, KG6EJT

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
A bit off-topic for this thread, but now that LA-RICS seems to be up and running, have people with P25 Phase 2 scanners, other than the SDS series, noticed simulcast issues?
Not here in the West SFV. I receive North Simulcast UHF and 700, Magic Mtn UHF and 700, West Simulcast UHF and 700 very well. San Gabriel Simulcast UHF and 700 comes and goes depending in the wind!
BCD996P2 with a VHF-high 1/4-wave ground plane at 20 feet.
I don't listen to LA-RICS much, not a whole lot there yet.
John

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
The "Future Use" frequencies now are listed in the Db as "Countywide", and the old Countywide configuration is renamed as "Old Countywide" as frequencies are depreciated or transitioned to other uses.

Besides the old Blue-8 still being active, I have noted brief activity and key-ups on Blue-1 and Blue-3 in recent days.

tkenny53

On this topic, reception, I travel from Ontario to long beach, 60 frwy to the 710 to LB.
The reception if terrible, CW was worst in Montebello and Monterey Park, which I figure would be great.
Dispatch is all scratchy and barely heard, VHF tach and CMD channels were loud and clear. In fact CW Disp sounded better in Ontario than anywhere else. I'm using my SDS100 and a dual band HH antenna. When I get in to the SoBay area, its better, but not like the old Blue setup.

Progline

Premium Subscriber
I'm really impressed with the audio quality and levels with the new system. I noticed that when I'm working in my home office, and just listening to the scanner, I'd forgotten that I was not listening to the Blue System. I also struck me that the audio is pure analog, without that weird Digital-to-Analog affectation that we hear from so many P25 radios that are toggled into the Analog mode.
Hats off to LA County's telecomm folks. Well done.

Uplink

On the new channels, the one labeled "U-2 Admin" has been abnormally quiet since the cut-over. After today's earthquake roll-call, I can see why. "Admin" is only heard on the trunking side. I'm starting to wonder if "U-2" is just a spare channel and not actually "admin"?

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
On the new channels, the one labeled "U-2 Admin" has been abnormally quiet since the cut-over. After today's earthquake roll-call, I can see why. "Admin" is only heard on the trunking side. I'm starting to wonder if "U-2" is just a spare channel and not actually "admin"?
I've only heard a few transmissions on U-2. Not much activity there.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
They "should" be using it as the new Blue-4, or Admin. I'm guessing by the description in the FireSync app that they don't know what they want to do with it yet. ("Countywide ?")

Anyone have any idea when the streaming links will be live for the new LACoFD channels? On Twitterx, they said they’re “upgrading” the equipment for the feeds, since there’s more to broadcast now. I’m salivating but the chef is taking his time…
As mentioned, all Dispatch channels along with the first up Command channels for each are up. All other commands coming soon. Maybe even LAC A/G. Working on filters to remove the key tones. Thanks to the Los Angeles County Firefighters Association for funding this huge project!
Are you hearing any traffic on D-5? I don't hear a peep here.
You should hear the same traffic on D-2 & D-5 24/7. Same traffic, different repeater coverage.
D-5 is loud and clear from Avalon. I've also heard it when in Long Beach, also.
Maybe it's just using DPK, TWR, BJM, and a mainland site like Signal Hill or Palos Verdes.
DPK, TPK, BJM, & two main land sites (RHT & CCB).
So is that the command channel showing up on Pulsepoint for structure fires?

I'm a little confused by it because it changes colors like a responding unit would.
Yes. For All Hazards incidents, you will see the COMMAND## phantom unit ID.
I could be wrong but perhaps the "D" & "C" channel differences are that they're regional (i.e. not countywide simulcast)?
In theory - why would you hear D5 outside of the intended South County Coastal area? Yes, I'm sure there are pockets where it reaches far but another example is D1. That's the desert - I wouldn't expect to hear it in Claremont while I can hear D3 there just fine.
Thoughts?
Correct. The simulcasts were built for their geographic usage. LAC U-1 & U-2 are countywide.
FWIW, all of the new dispatch and some of the new command channels (C20, C30, etc.) are live on Broadcastify. I do wonder why they didn’t do the other command channels (C21, C31, etc.). 🤷🏼‍♂️

Probably because they can only stream a limited number of channels, and C-10/20/30/40/50 are the first assigned command channels for their respective areas.
See above quote re: feeds. 🤙🏼

They "should" be using it as the new Blue-4, or Admin. I'm guessing by the description in the FireSync app that they don't know what they want to do with it yet. ("Countywide ?")
U-2 is not for administrative traffic like Blue4 used to be. The ADMIN TG is for all administrative chat.
Not hearing any dispatch traffic on LARics in the AV today.
🤔 Can you explain further?

Eng74

The county wide dispatch, Blue 8 was normally going out on LARICS. There was no county wide dispatch on it yesterday when I was in Lancaster and Palmdale.

StephanBH

Premium Subscriber
The county wide dispatch, Blue 8 was normally going out on LARICS. There was no county wide dispatch on it yesterday when I was in Lancaster and Palmdale.
Do you mean LARICS TG: 1006 (LACOFD DISP), which was patched to the old BLUE 8 (now what would be U1-Countywide Dispatch)?