LAPD buying Vertex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

Someone told me today that LAPD has purchased some small Vertex APCO25 hand helds for specialized use and is about to buy a bunch more and maybe to replace all Motorola's. Anybody know about this?
prcguy

chet-

I see LAPD everyday and they are fielding the XTS-5000s now. Its becoming a mix of 5000's and Astro Sabers at the momment till they get all the 5000s in the field.

Radio_Lady

No, not Vertex.

LAPD bought 700 XTS-5000 portables in 2007 using about $3-million in grant funding, and are doing a lease/purchase deal with Motorola for the remaining 9,300 radios for $39-million, with no payments in 2008/09 and 2009/10, but $5,660,000 for each of the following seven years. It's a sole-source contract, as Motorola is the only vendor that can provide the proprietary stuff that will work with LAPD's existing communications hardware/software and be compatible with LA-RICS, both of which were requirements for the new radios.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
... Motorola is the only vendor that can provide the proprietary stuff that will work with LAPD's existing communications hardware/software ...
I believe the proprietary stuff is "OTACS" (Over The Air Channel Steering).

I can see the data transmissions for it with a GRE. It typically triggers the 9600 sys info mode when in Tune though only shows the NAC.

prcguy

The reason I was asking is a friend of mine spent some time his LAPD friend who was issued a P25 Vertex because of his work requiring a smaller radio than the XTS and he says LAPD is placing an order for lots of the Vertex radios because they are performing very well and cost a fraction of XTS price. So, LAPD does have some P25 Vertex. I'm just curious if LAPD will eventually migrate away from Motorola.
prcguy

monitor142

Ahhh....nope. See Radio Lady's reply. LAPD might buy a few Vertex radios...or have some loaners to use but they will not be compatible with the future RICS system. Basically a throw away radio.

KG6GTH

Premium Subscriber
VXP829's

LAPD Does Have some Vertex P-829's. A coworker of mine also purchased his own total was about $2,000 with two batteries and charger. The VXp-829's are for some UC units , remainder of Patrol will eventuall get the XTS-5000 to replace the Astro Saber III.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Wayne_H - can you explain what OTACS is, or how it is used? Peter Sz

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Wayne_H - can you explain what OTACS is, or how it is used? Peter Sz
As the radio moves throughout the repeater network the channels physically available to the channel knob (i.e., 1 through 16) are changed to reflect the area. These channels must already be available in the radio.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Wayne - IIRC the FBI got radios maybe 5 years ago that had similar capabilities. I think they had GPS linked to the mobile radios and this allowed the ( possibly 'Harris') radios to always access the best repeater site. Does that ring a bell at all? Is that analogous to the LA City system? Peter Sz

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Wayne - IIRC the FBI got radios maybe 5 years ago that had similar capabilities. I think they had GPS linked to the mobile radios and this allowed the ( possibly 'Harris') radios to always access the best repeater site. Does that ring a bell at all? Is that analogous to the LA City system? Peter Sz
As far as I know Motorola's is something different though definitely similar in nature. From what I have seen the repeaters send out a transponder which directs the radios what to do. Whichever channels are loaded in to 1-16 is a default set; they'll always be the same in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.